Got my first look at Winnipeg Blue Bombers training camp here on Day 2 and here are some of the things that caught my eye from Monday’s session, which was cut short by about 20 minutes because of the warm weather at Canad Inns Stadium:
* Two of the three interceptions recorded were by LB Clint Kent. DB Darrell Pasco had the other.
* Some one-sided trash talk exchanged by DB Demond Washington directed toward SB Terrence Edwards, who said afterward that he appreciated the fact Washington was trying to make the team but also noted that he told the opponent to direct his comments towards another rookie because they weren’t going to get under his skin. Interesting stuff, for sure. We’ll delve more into this later on as both players had fun with it and provided some fun quotes on the matter.
* Pierre-Luc Labbe continues to work with first-team defence at middle linebacker. Labbe, who took English lessons during the off-season and put on about 11 pounds by working with a personal trainer, said he didn’t want to have any regrets about trying to win the starting job, which was vacated when Joe Lobendahn was released. We’ll have a story on Labbe in Tuesday’s Sun.
* Second-year receiver Jade Etienne says he was timid as a rookie and isn’t feeling nearly as much pressure as he did last year. He’s another guy we spent some time talking to and will look at expectations for him for 2012.
* Defensive end Jason Vega was held out of most of the session after suffering a minor lower-body injury. Vega said he was fine and would be back on the field tomorrow.
* Defensive back Brandon Stewart, who is coming back from a high ankle sprain, sat out the second half of the workout but that was merely for maintenance, according to head coach Paul LaPolice.
* LaPolice was asked about the report that surfaced about the possibility of further delays over at Investors Group Field and stood by his usual approach that the Blue Bombers would simply control what they can control and move into their new home once it was ready. He insisted it wouldn’t be a distraction for the players.
* Defensive backs Jonathan Hefney and Jovon Johnson both made an appearance at Canad Inns Stadium on Monday, were scheduled to take their physicals and are expected to be on the field Tuesday after missing the first couple days of camp for personal reasons.
Time to get writing. Be sure to check out www.winnipegsun.com and in Tuesday’s Sun for more coverage.