We are only one month from the unofficial start of the CFL season, and the Bombers are getting ready to make their run.
GM Joe Mack continued to trim his roster on Wednesday, getting rid of two players who suited up in last year’s Grey Cup. One of them, defensive lineman Rodney Fritz, was a starter in the big game, while defensive back Darrell Pasco was a special teamer.
Fritz got caught up in the numbers game, while they made Pasco practise on Wednesday before giving him his walking papers in the afternoon.
It’s odd that a team with so many injuries has cut three players in the last two days, but it is getting some players back from injury this week and then it has the bye, so practice bodies aren’t needed for a while.
The cost-cutting Blue and Gold will save a few dollars as well.
Here’s what else is happening …
• Will Ford will dress as Chad Simpson’s backup on Friday night against the Alouettes. The import from South Carolina State has a history with Simpson, and I’ll take a look at that in Thursday’s Sun.
• It appears the Bombers are going to take Kenny Mainor off the nine-game injured list — just a few weeks after putting him on it. The defensive end, who had an ankle injury, has been practising the last couple weeks, and now it looks like he’s going on the roster. That means Mainor’s salary since he was put on the nine-game injured list will now count against the cap.
• Another defensive lineman, Brandon Collier, is also likely to return on Friday night. He suffered a shoulder injury on July 18 in Toronto. Everyone thought it was serious, but apparently it wasn’t.
• Canadian running back Nathan Riva suffered a pulled hamstring in practice on Tuesday and will be re-evaulated after the bye week.
• Fullback Jordan Matechuk didn’t break any bones in his hand during Tuesday’s workout, but he banged up his fingers pretty good, according to head coach Paul LaPolice. He, too, will be evaluated after the bye week.
• According to our calculations, the only “healthy” Canadian (who is not an offensive lineman) available to go on the roster for Riva on Friday is running back Carl Volny, and not even he is 100% healthy. So much for that Canadian depth the Bombers are always talking about.