The city’s first youth summit wrapped up this afternoon with some suggestions for City Hall.
I thought I would curate some of the ideas here so we have a list to refer to in the future. These are youths’ ideas read by Mayor Jim Watson and Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury at the end of the summit after a series of workshops and panel discussions.
- Centralize information for young entrepreneurs.
- Connect and communicate with youths. “You’re the future of Ottawa, so we need to do a better job of connecting,” Fleury said.
- Have a networking workshop and volunteer fair.
- Create internship programs at City Hall.
- Fill the gap between the services offered and youths, and facilitate the access.
- Make sure there is proper representation at events like the youth summit.
- Police and OC Transpo should have more exposure in schools and not be intimidating.
- Have more job shadowing opportunities.
- Create more opportunities for mentoring and youth entrepreneurship.
- More youth summits.
- Have a “Dragon’s Den” style program with young entrepreneurs.
- Use students for special events.
- Communicate better through social media.
The city continues to collect ideas at ottawa.ca/youth