A decade ago this week, Stockwell Day lost his leadership of the Canadian Alliance to Stephen Harper, an event which turned out pretty well for both men. On that anniversary, I spoke to Day (below) who was in Mumbai, India when I reached him. We talked about that Harper decade but we also reflected on another leadership race — the race New Democratic Party’s race to name a new official opposition leader this week. In our papers today, I argue that more Canadians have moved left than right during the Harper decade. Day, in our interview, welcomes the disappearance, if you will, of the centre because he believes it will focus policy debate in Canada and may even mean fewer ad hominem political attacks and more back-and-forth focused on policy. “What it will mean is much clearer lines of debate for Canadians. Clearer policy differences.” Watch the video…
Akin's Instagram Feed
David Akin is Sun Media's national bureau chief and is based in Sun Media's Parliamentary Bureau in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Click through for Akin's contact information and full biography
Subscribe to David’s Akin On The Hill
- Jobs and politics: Devastating data for the incumbent in Quebec
- Harper: “Could well see Russia exit the G8 entirely”
- PMO slams opposition on Ukraine. Slams. Really Slams.
- Independent Liberal Senators take their new freedom out for a spin
- Conservative MP Brad Butt: Makin’ it up in the House of Commons
- cuzinkev on PMO slams opposition on Ukraine. Slams. Really Slams.
- Peter on PMO slams opposition on Ukraine. Slams. Really Slams.
- Seth on PBO: On austerity, size of the civil service, and computers
- Gabby in QC on PMO slams opposition on Ukraine. Slams. Really Slams.
- Earnest B on PMO slams opposition on Ukraine. Slams. Really Slams.
Search in blog
- Tory Minister Expresses Tory View, Shock and Horror Ensue December 16, 2013 Jessica Hume
- Canada needs to do more to protect teens from porn, sociologist says November 20, 2013 Daniel Proussalidis
- “Everyone had a good chuckle at your questions” November 14, 2013 Jessica Hume
- Canada’s terror list grows November 8, 2013 Daniel Proussalidis
- Blast from the past: Harper on Senate reform 2006 November 6, 2013 Jessica Murphy
- French connection for Royal Canadian Navy? November 1, 2013 Daniel Proussalidis
- Canadian military wants Star Trek-type device October 24, 2013 Daniel Proussalidis
- Pirate Party leader resigns to focus on battling depression October 12, 2013 Jessica Murphy
- Harper to talk security, trade in Asia October 3, 2013 Daniel Proussalidis
- Canadian naval trio to train with U.S. Navy off California October 2, 2013 Daniel Proussalidis
Contribute to the blog
- CanoeTech Blog
- Slam! sports blog
- The Projectionist
- Rabbit Ears
- The Turn Table
- Eye on the Hill
- Button Mashers
- Meandering Musings
- David Akin’s On the Hill
- The Motts Sound Off
- Lilley’s Pad
- In the rinks of the NOJHL
- Royal Spectacle
- Kryk Slants
- Monique's Morning Minute
- Deep Dish
- Heroes & Icons
- The Podium
Disclaimer and fine print from David Akin
The posts on this blog are, by and large, created and maintained by me, David Akin, the national bureau chief for Sun Media.
I receive no fees, considerations, etc. for the posts on this blog nor do I have any plans to accept any beyond the salary paid to me by Sun Media and Sun News Network. Both those companies are owned by Quebecor Inc. As a publicly traded Canadian company, Quebecor must disclose financial and other information. You can monitor those disclosures at Quebecor's Web site.
You may see advertisements at this blog. I have no control over the placement or selection of that advertising. Both Sun Media and Sun News Network earn the money to pay my salary and the costs of hosting this blog by selling advertising.
I am not, nor have I ever been during my 25 years as a professional journalist, a member of any political party. I own no shares or equity in any corporation or business, my employer's included. Any investments I have are in widely-held mutual funds.
If you think other disclosures are appropriate in this space, I'd like to hear from you. All of my contact details are always at www.davidakin.com.
- A few great lines … (74)
- Aboriginal Affairs (21)
- Agriculture (4)
- Arab Spring (4)
- Arts and Culture (16)
- Atlantic Canada Politics (10)
- BC Politics (32)
- China (6)
- Culture (9)
- Defence (7)
- Economy (58)
- Education (3)
- Energy (50)
- Environment (59)
- Foreign Affairs (69)
- Health (6)
- History (3)
- Immigration (4)
- Industry (2)
- Journalism (38)
- Justice (13)
- Main Page (2317)
- Municipal Politics (5)
- Ontario Politics (5)
- Politics (951)
- Politics/Conservatives (272)
- Politics/Liberals (184)
- Politics/NDP (114)
- Politics/Polls (14)
- Public Safety and Security (2)
- Sun News Network (26)
- Technology (91)
- US Politics (27)