Although more research is being done on the short and long term impacts of cellphone/wi-fi use, here is what we DO know.
1) Blackberry and Apple both feature fine print warnings suggesting users should keep all devices at least 15 mm away from their bodies during use.
2) The World Health Organization issued a warning in 2011 indicating the radiation could be carcinogenic and the group called for more research.
3) Countries around the world have been warning parents for years about applying the precautionary approach to children and cellphone use. After a series I did last year, Health Canada issued new advice to parents to cap cellphone use for young people under 18.
4) The Council of Europe has banned Wi-Fi in public spaces including libraries.
5) Scientists say radiation breaks down DNA and kills sperm. That means phones shouldn’t be put in your pocket…
6) Researchers recommend you should not sleep next to your phone. If you need to use the device as an alarm clock, put it in air plane mode.