Bodylogix’s protein powder whey good

- February 1st, 2011

This is not an ad.

Not that I’m averse to shilling for companies to help add some jingle to my meagre existence.

I’m all for capitalism, free enterprise and some extra disposable income in the pockets of my well-worn Levis in these post-recessionary times. (Note to Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank: If you’re reading this, please email your seven-figure ad proposals to cary.castagna@sunmedia.ca.)

But seriously, I do like to keep my gentle Keeping Fit blog readers informed on the latest gadgets, studies, trends and products. Knowledge is power, right?

Keep that in mind when I say I’m a fan of Bodylogix’s Decadent Chocolate Whey Protein Powder, which I enjoyed mixing with skim milk on many mornings over the past several months for what I recall as simply satisfying and divinely delicious protein shakes.

No, I wasn’t paid to say that.

I just love chocolate and that particular protein powder seemed to always do the trick – satisfy my sweet tooth AND provide me with muscle-building protein.

I recently polished off a 908-gram container that Bodylogix had sent me awhile back.

Now, unlike many so-called protein powders, this one’s loaded with protein – and NOT carbs.

Two scoops of the stuff (55 grams) offers 32 grams of protein and just six grams of carbs. The fat content is a tad higher than I’d prefer at six grams per serving. But it’s not a deal breaker – even if that includes 2.5 grams of saturated fat.

Also notable is that the powder mixes rather well in a run-of-the-mill plastic shaker. Shake, shake, shake – and voila! No annoying chunks.

Picture 2

(Click to enlarge)

Overall, methinks it was a pretty good way to start my day off nutritionally.

But I’m not the foremost expert on protein powder.

Let’s hear from you.

What are some of your fave protein powders?

Or do you think protein powder is passe?

I’m curious.

Categories: Fitness

1. Bret Conkin says:

Hi Cary,
    We are glad you like it! Many people can benefit from protein supplementation as with today’s hectic schedules their diet falls short. Benefits include: sports nutrition, muscle building, muscle recovery, weight management, immune support, bone health, and general wellness. See more at the Whey Protein Institute site http://www.wheyoflife.org

Specific benefits of Bodylogix Men’s and Women’s Proteins include: gender specific formulations, time release protein matrix for better absorption, essential vitamins, calcium and as you pointed out great mixability and taste! Oh yes, you also get a Free online trainer and nutritionist – daily personalized meal plans and workout plans – personalized just for you! Readers can find out more at http://www.bodylogix.com or at Shoppers Drug Mart.

2. Bret Conkin says:

Hi Cary,

Bret Conkin, Bodylogix Marketing Director

3. Alan says:

Picked up a container of Bodylogix Protein (Vanilla Ice Cream flavour) from Shoppers ’cause it was new (to me) and on sale for a decent price.
    All I can say is that I’m disappointed. The powder really doesn’t mix well at all.
    Using a standard protein shake shaker bottle leaves huge clumps of unmixed powder that are just not a delight to ingest. Even using a blender leaves much to be desired – a lot of unmixed powder remains behind.

I was expecting more from such a polished-looking product with a pretty slick fitness/nutrition plan backing it up.
    This Bodylogix product is pretty lame compared to Designer Whey, Weider, or even the Shoppers lesser house brand of protein. Don’t waste your money unless you like drinking clumpy protein shakes.

I’ve now bought this Bodylogix twice – first and last time.

4. Steph says:

I have just tried the Bodylogix natural vanilla for women and I can’t believe how good it is!! I could drink it all day. I’m really seriously dieting at the moment, following the Zone and I have the shake for breakfast and then a small one as my evening snack and I have to say that it is the food I most look forward to every day! It actually tastes so good I can’t believe I can have it as part of my diet. I realize I am sounding like a commercial now, but it’s true!

I also really like the fact that it blends really easily in a shaker (I use a recycled glass jar), especially since we don’t have a blender. The natural vanilla has 20g of protein, 5g of carbs and only 1g of fat. It says to mix it with water, but I love it with soy milk.

I’m not sure how Alan was mixing his and why he got big clumps. I did notice that for some reason it mixes better when you put the liquid in first and then the powder. One time I put the powder in first and then the liquid and did get a few little clumps. I’m very curious to know what caused Alan have such a problem with it.

5. Melissa says:

What is the difference between the Mens and Womans? Ive been buying Mens because It comes in the larger container. Is it fine to be using Men’s formula?

6. Norm says:

I picked up the chocolate bodylogix protein for men and it tastes great, mixes great and staves off hunger cravings. For the price it isn’t really all that bad although I wonder how much canola and sunflower oil is in it. It mixes well tastes great and in time I will see if it delivers what it promises. Mixing it with almond milk delicious!

I checked out some whey protein at Costco $48 for a huge tub of some organic stuff I think I will try it next. It had nothing artificial in it and seem like a good bang for the buck. However, I’m digging this Bodylogix stuff right now its awesome!

7. Randy says:

Hi, can someone tell me where I can buy Bodylogix whey protein powder. Thanks.

8. sherry says:

Hi
    I purchased Vanilla Ice Cream Bodylogix protein powder ,But didn’t realize till I got home and looked at the bottle and it said its for men!!
    Whats the difference in the women’s and men’s protein powder.. Is it ok for me to use.??

Sherry

9. sherry says:

Randy
    I got purchased mine at Shoppers Drugmart!!

10. JC says:

I am a lady and I just finished off a tub of the vanilla ice cream one where it says men’s on the bottle.
    I found it fine for me. I think the womens one is just lower calories as women usually need less calories than men. But that doesn’t bug me as I need them. I take it before I go to bed since I am an evening muncher and if I put it in a smoothie usually forage trick
    I usually just have one scoop after my workout. It tastes good too.

11. Alice says:

I have tried the women’s formula and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was in my smoothies! It mixes easily with my little Braun hand held mixer, no lumps yet.
    This time I bought the men’s formula, not realizing it was packaged for men. It is fantastic as well, I checked the FAQs and they mentioned women could use the men’s formula, just use one scoop not two.
    Thank you Bodylogix!!!

12. Elaine says:

Just finished my package of the Vanilla Ice Womens Bodylogix…ohh I love it…I have used the designer whey and that is good too but product for product I think the Bodylogix is better quality and made with more natural products. I purchased it to add more protein to my diet on recommendation from my nutritionist. I take it first thing in the morning..not for work outs…it does really make a difference..I am not dragging my butt all day and super tired the extra protein gives me the boost I need to keep truckin along :) I have a huge tub of the men’s I bought for my sons I guess I will use that too instead of buying more as it seems like a bit of a rip off the woman’s is only half the size of a package.