Random thoughts on Tommy Europe’s Shred Bootcamp on Sunday, Feb. 20, 2011, at World Health in downtown Edmonton:
• Tommy is uber-ripped! The Slice TV star and former CFL defensive back is certainly walking the talk.
• He’s a genuinely nice guy. Adjectives that spring to mind include: down-to-earth, charismatic, classy, confident and funny.
• Women sure love Tommy! There were only about five of us guys in a group of about 100. I’m happily married, but Tommy pointed out that the odds were good for the males — about 20 to 1!
• The workout room used for the bootcamp was way too cramped and crowded. That was the only negative in a supremely positive experience. Maybe Tommy will take his bootcamp outdoors when he returns to Edmonton in the late summer.
• I’d like to do his bootcamp again — even though I was sore from head to toe for three days afterwards.
• I shouldn’t be so amazed, but Tommy’s Shred Bootcamp is proof positive that you really don’t need any equipment for a stellar workout. Tommy put us through a tough full-body resistance workout without any barbells, dumbbells or fancy fitness gadgets. We simply used our bodyweight and good ol’ gravity.
• Tommy plays a no-nonsense drill sergeant on TV, especially when he pulls out his megaphone. But he was extremely supportive and encouraging on Sunday.
• In a post-bootcamp tweet to me the next day, Tommy wrote: “It all starts by moving a little more every day. Before you know it, you will be on the right path. You did great!” Thanks, Tommy!
Click HERE to see video of me struggling through the bootcamp, which was shot by Sun photog Laura Pedersen.
Tommy Europe’s The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp airs Thursdays at 6 p.m. MT on Slice.
About Tommy Europe
Tommy is one of Canada’s most sought-after personal trainers and a former CFL and NFL player, known for his no-nonsense military style approach to weight loss and nutrition as host on Slice’s The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp. He’s the fitness coach people love to hate and women love to watch. On his show, Tommy helps men and women get into shape before a special event through his intense training regime and by ransacking their cupboards to eliminate all sugar and fat.