Wanted: Canadian couch potatoes.
From the producers of X-Weighted comes a heaping helping of motivation to get off the futon or chaise lounge and make 2010 your fittest year ever.
Slice’s award-winning documentary series is urging all out-of-shape Canadians to sign up for the XWeighted.com National Challenge. It’s a free six-month health and fitness challenge designed to create lasting lifestyle improvements and stimulate sensible weight loss.
“We’re looking for Canadians to get serious about getting healthy in 2010,” Paul Plakas, X-Weighted’s fitness expert, says in a press release.
“Don’t be afraid of change: you are worth the effort. Get your body moving and eat healthy – what are you waiting for?”
Registration takes place Jan. 9 and 10 at XWeighted.com.
For a little more incentive, public weigh-ins will be held at fitness centres in seven cities across the country on Jan. 9, with X-Weighted personalities making special appearances. Cities hosting the weigh-ins, which include a timed obstacle-course fitness test, are Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Halifax and Saint John. The first 50 participants at each location will receive a special gift bag. Those who weigh in will then be invited back to the same fitness centre six months later — on July 10, to be exact — to gauge their progress.
Here’s a complete list of fitness centres hosting weigh-ins on Jan. 9:
• Calgary, Eau Claire YMCA, 101 – 3 Street SW, 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
• Calgary, Shawnessy YMCA, Suite 400, 333 Shawville Blvd. SE, 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
• Calgary, Crowfoot YMCA, 8100 John Laurie Blvd NW, noon – 4 p.m.
• Calgary, South YMCA, 11 Haddon Road SW, 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
• Edmonton, Custom Fit Personal Training Studio, 11807 – 105 Avenue NW, noon – 4 p.m.
• Halifax, YMCA Greater Halifax/Dartmouth, 1565 South Park Street, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• Kelowna, Global Fitness & Racquet Centre, 1574 Harvey Avenue, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• Saint John, NB, Delta Brunswick Hotel (hosted by Saint John YMCA-YWCA), 39 King Street, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Toronto, Extreme Fitness Yonge & Dundas Square, 319 Yonge Street, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Toronto, Extreme Fitness East Pickering, 1755 Pickering Parkway, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Toronto, Extreme Fitness Interchange Club, 90 Interchange Way, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Vancouver, YWCA Health & Fitness Centre, 535 Hornby Street, noon – 4 p.m.
Organizers tell me that you do not have to attend a fitness centre to enter the challenge. Just make sure to go online on one of the two registration days and create a personal profile. Then you’ll be qualified to win a range of prizes that are up for grabs. But if you ask me, there’s no better prize than improved health.
Visit Xweighted.com for more.