1. Mark in Oshawa says:

I am going to have to get this book Brian, but I will say that as someone who has friends working in the CBC on the technical side, I have a slight soft spot for some of their programming. Hockey Night in Canada, Dragon’s Den, and Republic of Doyle are all must watches for me. Yes, I quit watching Mansbingo and the news a long time ago, but I do watch Marketplace on occasion and the Fifth Estate has had some good stories on things like the OLGC mess over the ticket scams, McKeown’s numerous stories on sport related issues….and the like….

There is a place for the CBC I think if Stursburg is right and it is allowed to do things we would all appreciate. I look at shows like Top Gear on the BBC and realize there is a great role for a national broadcaster to think outside the box. Stursburg however points out how screwed up the CBC was and to an extent still is. Insiders who are my buddies in the technical side always laugh about how no matter how much is cut, the bureaucrats and management never seem to shrink, while the people actually DOING something take it in the ear……

2. charles says:

I think most people are indifferent to the CBC,evidenced by how few are commenting on this board.
    Having said that,the CBC is in a world unto themselves and only DRASTIC cuts to their funding will force them to change.

3. Cora says:

Brian, I viewed your interview online this morning, and want to tell you how much I appreciate the respect you showed Mr Stursberg. You asked your question, and then gave him space to reply. Although you clearly gave your own opinion, it was done respectfully. It was possible to hear what he said about his experience with the state broadcaster and his hopes for the network.
    A job well done. Thank you.

4. Bill Elder says:

So the inevitable “tell all” whistleblower book on Mothercorpse hits the shelves – dismal viewer numbers, bloated budgets, wanton waste, arrogant bias, pitiful self-interest and secrecy – all the traits of a bloated hollowed out monster of a crown corp. just begging to be put out of its misery – but it won’t happen. The eternal 20 billion dollar albatross limps on.

Someone please put this suffering animal put of its misery!

5. kjh says:

My observation, Brian, is that Mr. Stursberg appears to be his own tower of Babel.

For him to allege that the CBC has in the past been politically left of centre but is now more centrist in its reporting, was his talking out of both sides of his mouth, surely another way of describing the tower of Babel/Babble. I’m sorry you didn’t challenge him on this nonsensical and patently false statement. It would have been very informative to have asked him for a few examples of what he meant by that statement.

Although the CBC may have appeared to be a little more lenient towards the CPC in its interviews with CPC members, including PM Harper, during the last election, their principle reporters are indisputably left-of-centre and scathing towards c/Conservatives and their viewpoints.

6. Alain says:

First of all I second what Cora said about the interview. I do find it difficult to understand how he could think that the CBC is not biased. I do however agree with him when he says the CBC’s (since we are still stuck with it) role should be delivering quality Canadian content that viewers want to watch rather than showing American programs that one can find elsewhere. The CBC has no business competing with the private market as the state broadcaster. If the CBC is not privatised, there needs to be a big house-cleaning to ensure that the bias is removed and that it focus on attracting and satisfying viewers.

Comments are closed.