Fighting militant atheism

- April 5th, 2012

It is Easter weekend. Tonight is the night Christians mark the day when Jesus Christ held the last supper with his apostles. Tomorrow, Good Friday is a statutory holiday, as is Easter Sunday.

Yet in spite of all this we are forever told by our better thans that Canada is not a Christian nation.

Some even want to push any mention of religion any attempt for people to live out their faith completely out of the public square. They want people of faith to be silent, to give up their rights whether in teaching their own children, running their own schools or in matters of conscience when it comes to certain jobs.

I wonder how many of those people will be at work tomorrow slaving away at their desks?

While the new militant atheists seem to want to push religion out of the public square they have no problem living in a society built on the Judeo-Christian foundation.

And make no mistake our society is built on that foundation.

Our laws, our customs, our court systems all stem from that tradition.

Did you know why we don’t execute people that are mentally ill?

That goes back in the ages and was established because those not in a proper state of mind would not be able to make a proper confession of their sins and therefore killing them would also be condemning them to hell. It was seen as the compassionate thing to do.

Today in those places that still have the death penalty they still don’t execute the mentally ill and if it is suggested people even here in Canada are horrified.

Those that want nothing to do with religion will claim people have died in the name of religion, wars have been started and it is a source of pain so we should get rid of it.

True wars have been started including the crusades but wars have been started for all kinds of reasons including women – we haven’t done away with women have we?

Now about the killing and violence. The claim is that if we did as John Lennon suggested and imagined there was no religion then there would be no violence.

Let’s examine that.

The most vicious regimes of the 20th century were officially atheistic and also committed more mass killing than anyone in history.

Stalin – the communist leader of Soviet Russia oversaw the slaughter of and Mao Tse Dong the communist revolutionary who took over China is responsible for deaths.

Look, I’m not saying that if you are an atheist that you are in favour of murder or are steps away from going on your own killing rampage I’m just pointing out the fallacy of the lazy arguments passed off as deep thoughts these days.

In fact while as a Christian I believe that everyone should join my religion, if you don’t, I don’t have a problem with that.

I believe the theory is live and let live. I can put forward my views, you can put forward yours and we can all make up our own minds.

But with the new militant atheists and secularists that doesn’t appear to be an option.

From pushing for God to be dropped from our national anthem, trying to make sure you can’t mention Easter or heaven forbid Christmas in a school to now conscience rights – trying to force doctors who have religious convictions to perform abortions against their will – there is no rest for the other side.

Except for tomorrow, and Sunday of course.

I hope as those people rest that they consider that there may be room for more than one world view in our society.

And that’s the Byline.

Categories: Politics

1. Alain says:

Since we as Canadians have freedom of religion it follows that people are free to follow and practise their beliefs as long as they do not entail breaking the law, honour killings being an example. At the same time we are also free from having others impose their beliefs on us, and this also applies to atheist beliefs. So since Christian beliefs are not imposed on atheists, atheists have no right to impose their own beliefs either on everyone else.

2. Richard Wakefield says:

Brian, let’s be clear. Stalin and others such as him were psychopaths. Their evil came not from their belief or disbelief in anything, they were just psychopaths, period. Lots of them in history on all sides.

Let me tell you what I see atheism is, since I’m one. I feel that this life is it, nothing after death. Hence life is VERY precious and no one has the right to rob someone of the little time we normally have to exist. I apply that to not only humans, but animals too. The “soul” as you people want to call it, exists in a large number of other organisms, including not just the great apes, but all mammals and even birds. Or any organism with a functional brain.

This includes, for me, the fetus. There is no question that a fetus is a human, the genetics alone prove this. But apart from that, terminating someone before they are born is robing that person of a full life. Once you start that life no one has the right to terminate it.

I’m also conservative, have been all my life. In fact, most atheists I have met are conservatives. Most liberals I have met are some form of believers, specifically Catholics. Hell, we have one as the Premier of Ontario and look at the mess he created, with no care for anyone but himself.

So generalizing one’s actions because of faith or lack of faith is a red herring. People act as they do because they do. If anything criminal activies, such as mass murder have been done in the name of god (though in reality that’s just the excuse, they are just psychopaths), you never hear of atrocities in the name of atheism.

3. Bob Cratchette says:

Is it really “militant atheism” or just common ignorant bigotry?

4. Evan says:

1) Texas executes the mentally handicapped.
    2) Although the above mentioned regimes may have been officially Atheist, they didn’t kill in the name of Atheism whereas wars have been started in the name of various religions and for the sole purpose persecuting those viewed as against those religions.

5. Paul says:

And Christianity is founded on Paganism. Easter is named after the goddess Ēostre of Anglo-Saxon paganism. Pagans could likewise mock the hypocrisy of Christians who take advantage of, and credit for, their holidays and celebrations.

Public schools that endorse Christianity or preferentially celebrate Christian holidays are not living and allowing to live. They’re infringing on the rights and choice of parents of children of other faiths (or lack of faith).

And conscientious objectors always have a right to find a different job if they’re unable to perform their duties due to their beliefs. If you’re a pacifist then don’t join the military. If you’re a Vegan don’t apply for a job as a butcher and then tell the manager at Safeway that you expect long term full-time employment dicing only tofu.

6. Greg says:

I read this article & would like some facts to back it up. I do not see militant atheism being promoted anywhere in society. The same cannot be said about religion. It its many forms over the centuries how many have died in an attempt to convert pagans & heretics to whatever form of religion a powerful nation tried to impose on the weaker? If atheism is growing its because religions are failing to convince people to believe in them not because atheists are changing anyone else’s mind. I will be surprised if this comment is approved and if not then its just more proof to my argument.

7. Mike W says:

Firstly, I would like to wish you a happy Easter. Secondly, I would like to say that as an atheist I have heard these arguments over & over.
    I would like to point out that Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, etc, etc did not become the greatest monsters in history because of their atheism (it is up for debate if Hitler was Christian or not, but that is a different post altogether), but because they were horrible humans, plain & simple. The atrocities committed in the name of religion is exactly that. One systems deity is better than another’s, so one must be wiped out. But its ok, our god commanded it. It is the blind faith & justification for horrible acts committed in the name of God that are terrifying.

Canada is not, nor has it ever been a Christian nation. Are our principles founded on morals found in the Bible? Yes, they are, but Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism and other religions had similar, if not the same principles. And most of them pre-date Christianity by hundreds of years. Christianity is not unique in its morals, they are common beliefs held by the majority of humanity, regardless of religion or creed.

I agree that some atheists take things too far, but so do Christians and other conservatives. One only has to look across the border to see the mess that religion can cause. Honestly, it makes me fear that we here may follow suit in the future.

Live & let live is the best policy in my eyes, but do not assume that social changes are bad. For example, Norway is one of the most atheistic countries in the world and rated the best in health care, education, quality of life, etc. If removing the mention of God from public life is a step in that direction then I am all for it.

Have a great holiday.