The question seems timely not because the final instalment for 2012 property taxes came due last week, but, rather, because Council will begin our 2013 budget considerations in October.
Council will begin our 2013 budget process with a special public meeting where we listen to you about what you would like to see in future budgets. That meeting will occur on Tuesday, October 9 at 7:00 PM in the Council Chamber at Pelham Town Hall.
Pelham Council first started this type of a “pre-budget consultation” for the 2007 Budget. That consultation welcomed residents and property tax payers and invited input. Following Council deliberations that year, I was pleased that we were able to follow-through on most of the suggestions offered by your friends and neighbours. In subsequent years, we had similar consultation processes.
I am very pleased that we are undertaking this consultation process again. Council and I want to hear directly from you about your needs, wants, and ideas for our Town. Our community improves when more and more people become involved in its success!
We want to hear about the specific things that you think the Town should do or things that we should stop doing in 2013. How can we make Pelham a better place to live, work, grow, and play?
Council adopted this budget schedule:
• Pre-Budget Consultation – beginning October 9, 2012;
• Draft Capital Budget available to public – November 23;
• Draft Capital Budget presented to Committee – November 26;
• Council consider approving Capital Budget – December 3;
• Draft Operating Budget available to the public – January 25, 2013;
• Draft Operating Budget presented to Committee – January 28;
• Council consider approving Operating Budget – February 6;
• Draft Water & Sewer Budgets available to the public – February 15;
• Draft Water & Sewer Budgets presented to Committee – February 19;
• Council consider approving Water & Sewer Budgets – March 4.
Want to provide written input? Simply send a letter via email to a special email address: email@example.com. You will also soon be able to view background budget information at the Town’s website: www.pelham.ca.
Not internet savvy? You can also provide written comments via normal mail c/o Town Clerk, Town of Pelham, 20 Pelham Town Square, P.O. Box 400, Fonthill, ON L0S 1E0.
I hope to hear from you and I look forward to discussing your ideas so that we can continue to build a better future for our Town together.