Jennifer Lawrence took home a trophy at the 2013 Golden Globes, but she was a clear winner on the red carpet, too. The “Best Actress” looked like a superhero in a bold Dior Haute Couture dress with a pronounced bust and metallic belt.
Lawrence’s daring style was balanced nicely with a wavy, relaxed bun, thanks to Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend, who’s been her go-to hair guru for years.
Townsend’s approach is all about creating natural-looking, touchable hair. Nothing too stiff or tight. Hair must also complement the dress.
“When I saw Jennifer’s Dior Couture gown I immediately knew I wanted to pull her hair up to accentuate the amazing silhouette of the dress,” said Townsend.
How to create Lawrence’s wavy bun at home:
- Start by applying a large dollop of the Dove Style+Care Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse to damp hair and dry with a diffuser attachment to encourage natural curls.
- Take random sections of hair and spray the Dove Style+Care Strength & Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray before wrapping the hair around a 1/2-inch curling iron to enhance the curls. Scrunch with hands.
- Take 3-to 4-inch sections of hair from around the hairline and loosely braid them before pulling all the hair back into a low chignon and secure with bobby pins.
- Finish with the Dove Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray to keep the hair in place all night.
- Courtesy of Dove
Katharine McPhee, another red carpet stunner of the night, looked incredible in a revealing Theyskens’ Theory dress, with alluring makeup and a messy up-do.
“Katharine’s dress looks like it belongs in a Helmut Newton photograph, so I thought the makeup should be strong and sultry…the kind of eye makeup that would be in one of those photographs,” says Jake Bailey, her makeup artist for the awards.
“It’s an eye look for sure – a smoky eye with a beautiful nude skin palette.”
NARS products used to create McPhee’s look:
- Radiant Creamy Concealer (spring 2013)
- Light Reflecting Setting Powder – Pressed (spring 2013)
- Via Veneto Larger Than Life(R) Long-Wear Eyeliner
- Cordura Duo Eyeshadow
- Biscayne Park Satin Lip Pencil (spring 2013)
Jennifer Lawrence at the 2013 Golden Globes: "I wanted to pull her hair up to accentuate the amazing silhouette of the dress," says Mark Townsend. (Courtesy of Dove)