Big Ben is big

- March 6th, 2012

TAMPA _ Okay, brutal title, but he is huge.
I can’t to see this guy stand beside Marty St. Louis tonight.
This is going to be interesting. The 6-foot-7 Bishop will be in the net against the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’s huge in the net but can he stop the puck.
I thought Robin Lehner did quite well while he was here.
He was strong.
He showed he’s going to fight for a spot in training camp.
Get some discussion going here.
I’ve been approving the comments. You guys haven’t lived up to your end of the bargain. I’m trying to do a better job here.

Lehner did well in a couple of games but you couldn’t say he played well in the 3rd game. He didn’t get a lot of support but, he did allow 4 goals.

I would love to know what Lehner thinks about the Bishop signing (what he really thinks). Is it true he he has bit of a problem with an “attitude”? For a 20 year old kid he has on ocasion been like Eldrick Woods and a bit short with the media! It was VERY interesting to hear Baby Sens Coach’s comments; he Bishop “was unbelievable and the players have so much confidence in him” and added, “no disrepect to Lehner”.

He is the best goalie in the AHL and has all the stats to prove it, including the one statistic that is the true measurement of a great goalie, Save Percentage. You’re right Bruce, it will be a battle…lets hope the Sens depart from tradition and let the best man win!

Calling out the posters after such a short run of updating the blog quickly?!? You have a big brass pair there BooBoo!

Happy to see it but I was travelling since early this AM and just got to Las Vegas now…sales meetings rest of the week so probably not too much fun here.

I though Lehner was great when he was here, you could argue he stole both the Isles and Bruins victories from them and while he let in 4 goals against the Panthers there were two that he didn’t have much of a chance on.

I am very excited to see what Bishop can do and no doubt he deserves a shot to see what he can do…I remember at the beginning of the year he was talked about as a guy who could be a star (I think it was on the Hot Stove – maybe Eric Francis mentioned it) and this could be a very enviable position for the Sens to be in.

I don’t see any negative for having potentially 3 guys that could play in the NHL. I think Anderson is the man and he deserves to be the starter when he comes back and to start next season. I would expect that Lehner will be the starter in the A again next year and then he will still only be 21 years old. Although he may want to be in the NHL history shows that goalies learn the NHL game slowly and wish Bishop being older and a more experienced pro I think that is the way it SHOULD go.

There will be injuries next year too so Lehner will have his chance again.

Another thing I didn’t know about was from the new guy on the Team1200…he was apparently an executive in the NHL for a while (don’t know his name) and he said Bishop has to play a certain number of games between now and when his contract expires (17 I think?) in order for him to be a RFA and if he doesn’t hit the magic number then he is UFA so the Sens will be forced into getting Bishop in the net.

Will be able to watch a bit of the game tonight at the sports book before I have to go to our cocktail reception to start the sales conference….here is to a good game and solid effort.

I must say I am happy to see Konopka and Butler sit for Smith and Daug – you had to know that Smith wasn’t going to sit for long.

I just wrote a whole post but when I hit submit it didn’t load…summary is that Bishop should be the back-up next year if he proves he can play due to needing 17 NHL games played before end of next season to be a RFA instead of a UFA…and that Bruce has brass ones to call us out after a day or two of getting comments up quick(er).

Loved Lehners game while with Sens.

In Vegas so not much time to post rest of week.

Oh ya and where is CHOKERLOVER these days?!

The Sharks are 8th in the West and behind the Senators in the standings!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Come on Chokerlover, come out of hiding and show yourself. You were right here when the Sens went on a slide.

Let’s see if the Sharks can beat the Oilers tonight…if not, they may be OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS at least for a day.

Also, what would people rather see happen tonight…Bruins beat the Leafs to keep their chances of making the post season as low as possible or have the Leafs win so there is still a slim chance of the Sens winning the division?

I know what I want to happen…

Davey, what happens if Vegas…stays in Vegas. I “sharted” myself after a night of merry-making and…until now…it stayed at the Mirage!

It was a great question you asked and I am going to give you an answer. I toggled between the Boston/Toronto and Ottawa/Tampa games (30 minutes apart made it better) and every time I hear or read about Lord Burke, it fuels my disdain for the megalomaniac. I wanted Toronto to lose. To me, it matters not where the Sens finish. I read that Burke is back on the “testosterone, beligerence, pugnacity and truculence” kick. Is this what he expected when he signed Bozak, Connolly, Steckel, Lomardi, Lyles et al? Perhaps he should reacquire: Primeau, Green, Axelby, Hanson, Beauchemin! We all remember the fan fare, don’t we? Perhaps he could promote: Rosehill, Orr; and perhaps he should teach Komisarek how to hit/fight (he can’t play hockey!).

I have to ask, was Vancouver a tough team all those years Lord Burke was at the helm? No they weren’t and when I think of his tenure there, I only recall his constant bitching/complaining how the twins were treated: “Sedin isn’t Swedish for, hit me, punch me, crosscheck me, elbow me…”! What did Lord Burke do about all the abuse aside from constantly complain? I guess he only discovered he favored T, B, P and T when he inherited Anaheim!

Again, Toronto allowed 5 goals to be scored on them last night. Even with the “outstanding” new coach, the problems he encountered were the same ones Wilson faced: defencive break downs and suspect goaltending. After only 500 games as a coach in the NHL the new coach (by virtue of being in the the center of the hockey universe…I just threw up) is the best in the NHL! You know what he actually does………he matches lines!!!!! Amazing!!!! He’s a teacher, disciplinarian, task master, inteligent, demanding, he can fly, bend metal with his mind….. What he cannot do is make a bad hockey club, better. The Maple Leafs, Canada’s Team, (I just threw up again and I used to like Glass Tiger!) stink and are the result of Lord Burke’s 4 years of re and re,re-building. It should be fun to see how many ways he can shape shift. If one of you watched the sports last night you might have heard a clip of an interview with him on the radio earlier. The reason the clip is interesting is because it reveal two things: 1) why the media more often than not, are guarded in their intervies, B) Burke’s back up posture. The radio personality asked if Burke was worried about being fired. Burke was miffed but the radio man was not deterred. He suggested that failure results in firing! Burke, called the guy gutless as well as other things. That station may never get Burke again and most certainly he will never talk to the radio host. How dare anyone challenge the greatness that is Lord Burke!!!!!!!

I thought Bishop looked pretty good last night. I agree. I believe he will probably be with the Sen’s next season, unless Lehner stands on his head in camp next year. If that happens, then either Anderson or Bishop would probably bring something decent in a trade. It was nice to see Greening play the way he needs to play last night. He was very physical. Foligno is in a real slump and hopefully he can break out of it soon.

7. PaV says:

Sorry Bruce, we are just so used to the week long wait times ;-)

Bishop did a good job last night. It was a good game over all.

The Rangers will be a tough test for Ottawa and then the Sabers on Sat….. here is hoping!

Mikey, I really don’t think Foligno is nearly as good as what many think. I respect Dave says, but I believe he has spent most of the year on the second line (I very well could be wrong). Even if he has played half the year with Alfredsson and Turris (since his arrival obviously) he has the same number of goals as the relegated sitter, Smith! He makes a million moves but accomplishes little. 13 goals does not cut it. Murray said he needs to score goals, what will be the consequence if he doesn’t (nothing I say). He did play his best as a pivot and failing that, I really do like him with Smith and Neil! Everyone is going crazy over Greening. Outside scoring on a gift and getting an assist, he very little. Do you see his speed, physicality, playmaking, great passes (I saw a pass once, but he often throws passes in a players feet). He even falls down a lot. It was predicted that he would only score again if the played with Spezza and that is what happened. He scoring is a testimony how bad Butler is! Spezza was on the ice for 5 goals scored and he and Michalek were both plus 4. What would happen if they had a hockey player on the line? Isn’t it interesting that a blogging hack can call out Butler and when he finally sits and someone takes his place (even Greening) they score! What took so damn long! Dogauvins and Obrien are interchangable, they’re both really bad. Konopka, is useless and an embarrassment. Condra, brings nothing and he does it every game. The rushing defenceman Gilroy, does diddly squat. He and Karlsson are similar, neither take the body. Karlie gave the puck away often again. Although he is registered with , he had many more. I do not understand the coach playng Klink with Alfredsson and Turris. That would be yet another question I would like to ask! Klink has size and can skate but he can’t score, fight and he really is very physical. He did register 7 hits his first game up, but he was trying to impress and the hits were like doing the bump to “Don’t rock the boat” circa 1974. Bishop, is the real deal and an added bonus, he is fabulous with the puck!

Had to check in again – no comment on the goings on so far in Vegas but I can say I haven’t done anything stupid yet.

Without seeing the game yet (have it waiting on PVR) I am going to say Karlsson probably played very well (! had to Bobby) and sounds like Michalek scored the weirdest hatty in a while. Glad we won, can’t have a long losing streak and need too get sorted before the Rangers come to town…I hope Bishop played well?

I know it isn’t an upgrade in the top 6 but I had written O’Brien off as a total bust a couple of years ago and he hadn’t done anything to change my mind until this call up. He may not score much but I like him on the 3rd or 4th line so far…perhaps it is the novelty of being in the NHL but he seems to play with a lot of zeal and he is faster than I thought…plus so far he is great on the draw and I personally think that is important, especially for a team that wants to play a puck possession style and is still figuring out what to do when they don’t have the puck.

How is it possible that Karlsson only had 1 goal…I did see a highlight of the Turris goal and Karlsson should have had an assist on that one too…but the bigger news is how do the Sens score 7 goals and Spezza goes pointless? Especially with Michalek getting 4 points and Greening 2! Weird…I need to see this game for myself…bad bounces or what?

Anyway, hope they play well against the Rangers, might get out in time to catch some of the last part of the game.

Lastly – this is a hockey blog but Lionel Messi scored 5 >> FIVE goals in a Euro league game…incredible…at 23 he may be the best ever and he could make soccer interesting for anyone to watch.

Again last night, the Leafs got beat. I love witnessing Lord Burke fail. Perhaps…maybe…just maybe, it wasn’t all on Wilson. Do ya think? It is funny watching James Duthie and “the panel” offer all the reasons why the new coach will succeed. Never, ever do they suggest the team is bad! Komisarek was made a very rich man to allow the opposition to score goals and it was no different last night. He was -2. Frattin, the player the panel all suggested would prosper under the new coach (rewarded with more ice-time) was -3! When did he become the future? Where is his toughness? We saw clips of Kessel in the game against Boston; in it we all got to see why his peers said he was the easiest to intimidate. He is a wonderful talent but like Frank Castanza, he often “stops short”! The much younger, bigger and very talented Seguin now has 23 goals as a 20 year old and leads the entire league with the best plus/minus. Boston also have the very good/tough, 6-5 defenceman, Doug Hamiliton as a result of Lord Burke’s trade. The Coach and GM love tougness! If tougness is measured by taking dumb penalties, then Rosehill is delivering (charging, highsticking). One of the Leaf’s “future stars” got an audition with the big club last night. Ashton, the kid Lord Burke said was big, fast, could score and had sand paper…did absolutely nothing. But Burke was partly right, he is tall at 6-3. I saw no evidence of his speed or aggression. I suspect I am not alone suggesting the team is thin on talent, so why doesn’t the other future star, Colborne, get a chance to play? Certainly now, even the most committed Leaf fan, must admit any chance at a playoff birth is long gone! If that is true, why not show Leaf Nation all the stars Burke has secured over the last 4 years in his role as Lord and Master! Komisarek has sat in the press box only 12 times this year (it should have been much more) because of his poor play, so, why not give the other star in the making Holzer, a chance to save the Leafs? Afterall, he has been “stellar” the last two years! His 2 goals and 10 assists coupled with his 1 goal and 15 assists this year would certainly change the fortunes of the big club! We have seen the Maple Leaf centric media go gaga over anything blue and white (Green, Primeau, Axelby, Komisarek, Bozak, the tired old retreads JFII broght on board and countless others). And, we have seen them turn when it became painfully obvious the moves were bad ones. The watch has to be on for the “miracle worker” and the “maker”! I wonder who in the media will have the courage to challenge Lord Burke and ask the pointed questions (can you imagine having to submit your questions in advance for approval before you meet the SOB?). Lord Burke has already set the bar! The new coach…the teacher, disciplinarian, task master, mentor, strategist will have to summon all his skills next year. Afterall, the Leafs are a 100 point team!

Bruce/Don, if you guys are really serious about stimulating conversation, you will have to step out of your comfort zone and make a few calls! To throw out inane, vanilla flavored nonsense and then tell us to discuss it, really demonstrates a lack of respect for our collective inteligence (I will bite because the Lord didn’t bless me but look at the drop-off and it is entirely because you will not put your toes in the water. Is it like the Lord Burke thing…fear of getting cut off? To say that “Bishop is big”, then ask “can he stop the puck” is really very silly (he leads all goalies in the AHL, including Lehner with the best save percentage). I asked about Lehner’s attitude (some have called him arrogant) but nothing is said. All of us have asked: why Butler for so long but we haven’t read anything about it in the paper or Off The Post! Why not? We still don’t know why Smith sat and others did not! Shouldn’t Petersson or Hoffman get a chance. In the one game Marty did play he showed us much (speed, confidence, calm, skill and for a little guy, lots of courage). Why does Klink play on Alfredsson’s line? I see, finally, Smith will be joined by Foligno and Neil (hell, it only made sense). Why sit silent when players stink for 15 plus games but celebrate the hell out of them because the law of averages they finally score (and the odds go up dramatically when playing with Spezza and Michalek). Is there an edict that instructs you not to call out Foligno? Do you guys really think Greening played a good game? Perhaps one could say he played well if they read the papers only and didn’t see the game live! “Greening fought the much bigger Keith Aulie”…there is only a 6 lb difference and besides, is Aulie an Android? Why don’t you point out Greening’s -6 (and those numbers are much better than they were because Spezza’s line was on the ice for most of the 7 goals last game!). Did Condra and Daugovins play well? Do they play well enough? Do you guys really think Gilroy is an offensive defenceman? He has 2 more points than Cowen! Konopka may be good for a quote, but he is useless and contributes nothing except give the team more opportunities to test their penalty killing. Why can’t you guys point out a blunder (albeit, infrequent, I guess) committed by Karlsson? Why can’t you guys tell us all why Cam-moron is an Assistant Coach in the NHL. Is it because he won a Memorial Cup? Did he win a Calder Cup? Did he win Gold in the WJC? Can you guys not give us your candid thoughts on why Zibby scored only 5 goals this year? Can not ask the brothers Murray if Wiercoch is still the future? Makle a call and tell us if you think Winchester will sign another contract with the Sens or has the friendship run its course. Come on boys, this is merely a sample of all the things you could introduce that are happening around the league. Go ahead now, discuss this amoungst youreselves.

Thanks a lot Bobby. Now I can’t get rid of that song out of my head.

13. Daniel Murphy says:

Bobby, my friend, I believe I was told quite explicity by Bruce or Don (I can’t remember) that their job is to report what is happening. Their job as reporters is not to question why or ask the GM, Coach or players tough questions. Their job is not to second-guess or challenge anything the GM, Coach or playes do or say. That is why we get vanilla stuff all the time.

For the 100th time, I would seriously like to know what everyone out there thinks is the next step in the re-build and how far have we gone with the re-build? 25%?, 50%, or 75% or more????

I love conspiracy theories and dirt. Does everyone really believe Anderson cut his pinky trying to cut up some frozen chicken late at night?????

Mikey, I thought you would be far too young for that song. I am glad I don’t have pictures, but I can rember doing the bump to that song in a disco in Montreal. The music was great, my dancing bad but…what I was wearing was worse. I had the audacity to wear a red silk shirt (tapered up the yin yang) and black “sponge pants” with huge flairs and platform shoes. Pretty fly for a white guy. NOT!

Bobby,
    I think you’re probably about 4 or 5 years older than me. I listen to a lot of 70′s and 80′s music on my car satellite radio. We should all meet for a cold one sometime. As long as you promise not to where your disco threads.

I would love to have a beer with you mon vieux!