Bye Bye Bobby

- July 26th, 2012

The Senators put Bobby Butler on waivers Thursday.
If he clears _ and he will _ Butler will be bought out Friday.
The Senators had to make this move. It makes sense.
He had to go. He wasn’t producing. He is paid to score goals.
Butler never got the fact if he wasn’t scoring goals he wasn’t doing anything. His work ethic can be called into question. I’m not sure he had one. Reminded me of Brandon Bochenski.
So long Bobby.
I love the people who posted on the bottom of my article Monday that Bobby wouldn’t be going anywhere and Garrioch just has it in for the guy. We report the facts here folks. Some people don’t like the facts. Right, Bobby Goodman?
Have a nice weekend. Expect a decision on Daniel Alfredsson soon.

1. Dan Fogerty says:

The classic Sun move – criticize the player on the way out. Of course when Bryan Murray “discovered” Butler it was a stroke of pure genius. Yawn…

2. Bruce Garrioch says:

Uh-oh. You’ve never read a thing I’ve written.

3. Dan Fogerty says:

I guess not. I certainly don’t recall any criticism of Murray’s signing of Butler.

Why would he criticize the GM signing Butler? It didn’t cost the team anything other than money, and it was a bit of a gamble, as all potential prospects are.

5. Just the facts maam, just the facts….and I love em Bruce!

It is a sad fact that Butler wasn’t worthy of the 2 year 2.4 million dollar contract (so much for the
    “great judge of talent handle…reinforced by the siging of many others including: Rund’sbad, Da Costa, Klink, Obrien, Dog, Daisey, Wiercoch, Gryba et al.It is indeed a fact that Butler got Butlered last year but it continues to be a mystery why he was allowed to play 60 games? Was it again a case of “you will be successful whether you are successful or not”? I suspect you are right Bruce, the problem may have been associated with his work ethic (lack of “intesticle” fortitude). I love guys that skate like maniacs all around the perimeter. Another mystery is why Hoffman and Pettersson weren’t given an opportunity to play 10 plus games like Butler got Butlered, Rund’sbad and Da “Oates-like” Costa. It is indeed a fact that the Murrays are now conceding they are very disappointed with Zibbys 5 goals last year but it is a mystery why he, along with Stone and Sly are the ones always mentioned as contenders for the big club but nary a word is spoken/written about the “kid who will patrol the right side with Spezza for the next 10 years”!!! Again I ask, why? It is a mystery why Butler, Stone and Sly all got stints in the post season but not Hoffman or Petersson…again I ask, why? Afterall, they did score goals as professionals in North America on a small surface!

It is another sad fact that Murray is buying out yet another contract (how many now in his 6 years here?). It is a sad fact that the Gilroy for Lee trade was an awful one (good judge of talent?). Will Gilroy be in the NHL this year??? I know Lee will! Will the guy who spent 47 games in the minors be of any help on the Sens blueline this year? Lundin is yet another softie as is Methot.

It is a fact that Ottawa has the smallest managment team in the NHL. It is also fact that of the 4 principles, not one played in professional hockey anywhere and certainly not in the NHNL. With all the other NHL teams loading their staff with ex-NHLers, Ottawa is content with Strength and Conditioning coaches and I am not sure what Tim Murray ever did before his Uncle hired him in Detroit (he certainly didn’t play any meaningful hockey anywhere).

I may be surprised but I suspect the Sens will fall behind their performance of last year. The team toughness is now gone and it is incumbent upon Neil and Smith who are not heavy weights to bring it when needed. Lundin isn’t an NHLer and there is a very good reason he spent 47 games in the manures last year. Methot might register hits but he too is a softie. Gonchar and Philips never hit anyone and both are old and another year older and slower. Cowen will be better but lacks foot speed and doesn’t punish anyone. Can Andersen be as good?

There are lots of holes but, Murray is a great judge of and develop of talent! Thems the facts! Black and white.

6. Jordan Pettigrew says:

What a waste of a roster spot……don’t let the door hit your backside on the way out! As for Dan…what you want Garrioch to praise the guy for doing nothing???????? What’s your point?

I for one am sad that it came to this. I never though Bruce had any thoughts on him one way or the other but I liked his potential from his first game right out of college to his last few games of the season two years ago.

Not sure what happened in the off-season but Bruce you seem to believe he didn’t work hard enough? I thought he was injured in training camp and never got going…he was the best player for the Sens in game 3 at home against the Rangers – could have had 3 goals.

Too bad but I wish him the best and just hope he doesn’t blossom right away with another organization.

8. Kevin F says:

Bye bye Bobby come by the Sun and get your kick in the nads the way about 3/4 of every player, coach or manager does when he leaves always classy Ottawa. Funny we hear about the lack of work ethic for the first time on the eve of his release, read somewhere in the last week that he was out of shape coming to camp, why now is this coming to light? Didn’t the fellas who are there every day and talk to NHL people just as often pick up and report it at the time? Naw that would be journalism. Don’t feel like typing but happy to provide examples if requested. Know that many don’t care but, It appears that the conclusion of the great Alfie drama is looking more and more like my original prediction but of course no one is in a hurry.

9. Bruce Garrioch says:

Kevin. You and your revisionist history. You and Choker should start your own blog. Then you can spew the stuff you spew without moderation!! HAHAHAHA

10. Kevin F says:

Just plain history, Bruce, no revisions required, I can list all of them if you wish, as you have have said many times I read everything and have a very good memory. Off the top of my head the most egregious examples of the Suns practice of turning on guys only after they are gone or it is abundantly clear they are finished in Ottawa are, Heatley: one day he is “Heater” the awesome sniper, requests a trade, next day is one of the worst people on earth,absolutely the most viscous personal attack I have seen in the press.
    Clouston: hailed repeatedly as one of the great young hockey minds and a superb motivator, things go south obviously gone, is now a churlish boob incapable of basic communication.
    Hartsburgh great coach and disciplinarian, in record time becomes object of scorn quickly gone and still sniped at repeatedly
    Elliot solid NHLerto “worst goalie in the league” who takes no responsibility and blames others, NHL all star.
    Butler, Bochenski, Runblad Corvo, Commodore, McGratton are just a few who were golden while in the Sens jersey and had less than complementary things written about them AFTER they departed. I could go on at length but I a, beginning to bore myself.
    Maybe I missed it can you point to me when you wrote or publicly said anything about Butlerswork ethic? Before this week that is.
    One thing I agree with you on is that I should have my own blog, you couldn’t use your connections to facilitate that could you? I am sick of sharing my brilliance for free, a little pocket money would be cool. If choke and I weren’t here it would be just a fanny smooch fest like team 1200 became.

11. Bruce Garrioch says:

Same old same old Kevin. Keep it coming. You keep reading. You keep watching. You keep listening. Odd that someone would put them through that sort of punishment. You’ve been writing me for 20 years and you keep it up. That’s why you are one of my favourites. Choker. He’s just choker.

12. Kevin F says:

Odd Bruce? Keeps me laughing that’s all ,it’s just hockey after all a fun diversion no malice intended.

13. Bruce Garrioch says:

Bobby talk to this man. I’m tired of this after 20 years of the same old same old.

14. Kevin F says:

Well Bruce my advice to you is the same as I have given the other tired or sensitive types here, if you don’t like my content ignore me, I truly don’t care. Of course you could refute my points from time to time,again when exactly did you question Butlers work ethic publicly for the first time? Naw too tired for that I assume. As for Bobby talking to me no thanks, although sometimes entertaining and possessing good points his frequent trips to the gutter with lowlife gossip make it impossible for me to give him much credibility or respect.

I agree with Kevin. I do not recall anything written in the Sun about Butler’s lack of work ethic. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Butle gets an opportunity with another NHL team.

16. ChokerHater says:

if you’re so tired of it, then why do you have a blog, just so you can insult your posters?
    you getting a thrill out of it
    something I want to ask about the Butler dumping
    you were way out in front of this
    too far out in front
    so you are being fed by the inside office??????
    or you are a clairvoyant
    tell us, are you that smart, or are you just being fed by Murray
    and that solves the mystery of why you always stick up for him
    I’ll bet this stays “in moderation”
    take your cheap shots ay me now
    I can take it

17. Dan Fogerty says:

I wonder if Garrioch will cite his earlier criticisms of Butler or if this will be a win for Kevin?

18. Dennis_w says:

20 years? Maybe it’s time you two took this relationship to the next level;)

19. Bruce Garrioch says:

Oh my gawd choke. You are hilarious. Insulting the posters please. No comments in moderation choke and kev!

This from final report card:

BOBBY BUTLER F
    Six goals. Was brought here to add offence and didn’t do it. Don’t tell me he played well defensively.

This was published Wednesday, May 30th:

5. Bobby Butler, right winger
    Moving Butler and his $1.2-million contract for next season would be a miracle. The Senators will likely try to get something done after Butler scored six goals in 56 games this season, but it would be a tough sell for any team to give him a fresh start with that contract attached. There is no question Butler has great hands. The right winger just didn’t score with them very often. If he’s not scoring, then he’s not helping. He had his chance as a top-six forward several times, but couldn’t get it done. The best move might be to buy out Butler at one-third of his deal and take the $200,000 cap hit for the next two years.

I know. I know. You’ve never read any criticism of Butler in the Sun.

20. Kevin F says:

Nice try Bruce, I see criticism of production and contract which are facts and are easy, I see no mention of conditioning or work ethic which was my point, none until it was evident he was gone last week. As for 20 years, has it been that long, geez I should get a life! As a info junkie I got the Internet as soon as available here and the Sun started irritating me with the birth of the Sens so I guess you are right give or take a year or 2.

Good one Dennis. I hadn’t realized how close Bruce and Kevin are. Hopefully it won’t all end because of 1 little spat.

22. “frequent trips to the gutter with lowlife gossip make it impossible for me to give him much credibility or respect”.
    I don’t actively seek out credibility nor do I need your respect Kevin, afterall this is simply a blog. If it hurts you when I re-tell a story that was written in several publications about your hero Lord Burke sleeping with some girl working for MLSE, then I suggest you see a doctor and explore why. It is OK for you to ruthlessly challenge Bruce but we dare not question your hero Lord Burke…right? You worship him but if it sustains you, great. If leaving a wife and 3 kids, moving 3k miles away, marrying someone 20 years his junior and fathering more children is admirable, great. If his support for gays in sport only happened after his son (whom he moved 3,000 miles away from) dies and his other son had the courage to build a comaign is commendable, wonderful; but I ask, why did this all only happen after his death? If me re-telling a story he slept with yet another is low life…I suggest it describes the way he lives and certainly not my posts (like the wonderful Doctor Keon who got caught the one and only time he solicited sex from a hooker – bad luck Doc – this must have been his very first time Lord Burke screwed around, huh Kev?) If this too is something to celebrate Kevin…I must have missed the memo. Perhaps you live vicariously through the immoral acts of your hero Lord Burke. You love your Leafs and that is great, but like many hear in Ottawa, you continue to support the very people who continue to reduce the franchise to joke-like status. Any guesses Kevin, where the Lord Burke built team may finish this year. He put the team in this position. Hamilton & Seguin or Kessel? Perhaps Burke thinks himself a modern day Jack Kennedy and bed any woman from California to Boston to Ontaria (“The Burke Triangle”). He has the Kennedy hair! He has the inteligence, just ask him. I can hear him now: “ask not what you the Maple Leafs can do you for you…”.

I have a great deal of respect for you Kevin and think you are very credible. You provide insightul, humourous, inteligent, thoughtful and entertaining posts. I love to read your takes. But I am confused why you,. like so many and in particular, Americans, feel it necessary to celebrate bad behaviour. I am old enought to accept that as a sad reality and like Cheryl Crow says: “if it makes you happy….”

I often wonder Kev (I can call you Kev?), if you have ever written so faithfully to the Toronto media when they continuosily supported every move Leaf move in the last 5 years buy your randy hero Lord Burke. Only some include: Primeau, Axelby, Green, Mayers, May, Bozak, “THE MONSTER”, The Polish Pylon, Tim Connoly, Orr and then sending him to the manures and blaming the league, resigning Wilson, hiring the strategically brilliant disciplinarian Randy Carlyle (randy? THAT’S WHY BURKE SIGNED HIM; THEY HAD SOMETHING IN COMMON!).

Respect and credibility you…

23. Bruce Garrioch says:

Keep spewing it Kevin.
    Never ever admit you are wrong.
    Don’t admit you’re wrong either chokey

24. Kevin F says:

Not wrong here Bruce, when was the work ethic or conditioning questioned, not last fall, not on May 30, last week that’s when.
    Bob I don’t know you personally I can only judge by your actions here. I avoid gossips In my “real” life whenever I possibly can and will do the same here. It’s been my experience that those who indulge in such smutty talk get somekind of perverse thrill from it. Enjoy yourself.

Bruce, as much as I hate to admit it, Kevin is right. Show us what was previously written about Butler’s lack of work ethic and or conditioning.

26. PaV says:

Wow, I leave for a few months… and come back to this.. ….. ….

Bobby Butler needed to go, plain and simple.

Next?

27. ChokerHater says:

Thanks Bruce, I won’t
    because I’m right aren’t I?
    no one else was calling for Bobby Butler to be bought out, everyone thought he would get another crack or maybe start the year in Bingo and get called up
    But you knew he was going to get bought out long before anyone else
    As much as I think you’re a pretty smart guy (suckholing now hahahahah)
    YOU’RE NOT THAT SMART
    so tell us again
    where did you get your information???????
    or, throw some more insults and try to smoke this one over
    but it ain’t working

28. SensGuy19 says:

Bruce, not that you need any more support but thought I should tell you I read your columns BECAUSE you have an opinion…and a pretty damn educated one when it comes to covering this team.

The armchair coaches/GMs can say whatever they want on the internet but I do have an appreciation for the opinion of the guy who spends time at the rink watching the team everyday and speaking with the players.

I don’t live in the city anymore but I still look forward to reading your columns online.

Keep up the excellent work!

29. I have to wonder where/when Murray earned the reputation as a great judge of talent drafting well and a wonderful developer of hockey players; can anyone tell me? If I asked everybody right now who you they would rather have, Dougie Hamilton or Mika Zibanejad, who would most take? I for one wouldn’t hesitate; I would take the 6-4 210 pound Hamilton. His 72 points in 50 games led the OHL! He is a fantastic skater. He can really shoot the puck and he can punish with his body and fists! But in predictable fashion, the great judge of talent, Murray, chose yet another Swede over a big, strong and tough Canadian! He forsake another big, strong, Canadian kid, Coutourier for Zibanejad. While Zibby was scoring 5 goals in the SEL, Coutourier was logging lots of ice-time, playing against the NHL’s very best scoring 14 goals!

Bryan Murray also drafted Jared Cowen. Cowen registers a lot of hits but none that punish, which should be expected from someone 6-5 and 230. He will pan out as a low risk Chris Philips-like defenceman (without the skating ability) but the Sens could have and should have drafted Krieder. We saw glimpses of what this kid could do this past spring playing for NYR. At 6-4 and 230 pounds he is huge but his best asset is his skating and blazing speed. This game is ALL ABOUT SKATING! He is can also be very physical!

Not surprisingly, Murray continues his fascination with offensive defencemen drafting Cody Ceci. I love the kid but how many soft offensive defencemen has Murray brought to Ottawa over the years: Bell, Campoli, Kuba, Gonchar, Rundblad, Wiercoch, Karlsson, Gilroy…Ceci makes the number 9 and I know I am forgetting some. Carkner was the only big tough guy and he was sent packing (because of his very bad knees?) and signed a multi-year contract to play for the Islanders.

Obrien was a wonderful first round pick, Murray’s first. For those who might suggest that someone else made that call, they need to know that there really are very few hidden gems. Most players on the planet are scouted up the yin yang and Murray as GM of Anaheim was very familiar with all of them! Obrien was not a great example of Murray’s tremendous ability to judge talent.

As for development, can anyone tell me who he developed in his 6 years here? Has Gryba developed in Bingo? What about Wiercoch? Did Lehner’s game get better in the AHL last year? What about Da Costa. The team last year was 30th in a 30 team league! The team won the year before with Players like Condra and The Android who weren’t Murray’s. Lehner in his first year as a pro was spectacular at the right time. Zack Smith led the team with his physicality and scored goals! His development happened by accident because he was passed often over for Daisey the Air Rifle who, as I predicted, would not play for any other team in the NHL but Ottawa (because no other team would want him).

I hope that a bunch of the youngsters will pan out because the Sens need them to.

30. Bruce Garrioch says:

Keep spewing what you and Kevin keep spewing. Yawn.

Hey Sensguy19,
    We all like Bruce’s columns. That’s not the point. We try not to kiss ass on here.

32. Dennis_w says:

Kevin’s the only one who has anything further to ask of Bruce (IMO), since his initial comment was more specific. The rest of you owe Bruce an apology, which will never happen here because no one’s ever wrong no matter how much BS they throw out there.

The same goes for those who wrongly speculated about Alfie, but I’m not holding my breath there either.

33. Daniel Murphy says:

Bruce, do you think Alfie is playing for only one million or do you think there is or will be more moolah for him?

I know his contract was front loaded significantly and that is why his contract is only worth a million this year but it just doesn’t make sense to me why a zillionaire 39 year old would want to go through the vigors and pain of professional hockey for basically peanuts. He is god around here and if didn’t play this year and walked away, the people of Ottawa would still give him a hero’s farewell party..

34. ChokerHater says:

QUOTE: Mike8888 says:
    July 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    Hey Sensguy19,
    ===============================================================================

ha ha ha finally something of intelligence from lucky Mike
    Thanks Mike, I knew you had it in you

35. Kevin F says:

Seems like their is someone here who won’t admit when he is wrong and it ain’t me. Yawn, rest up on your VK and don’t be so darn predictable next season.

36. ChokerHater says:

Guess I’m not getting the answer from Bruce about his early knowledge on the Bobby Butler buy out
    so I guess I’m right about where his information is coming from

=========================================================================

Good question by Daniel Murphy
    did Alfie renegotiate?
    or is he playing for the paltry sum of 1 million dollars
    I’ll bet he renegotiated and the press in Ottawa know but won’t mention it
    you people wonder why they are known as homers
    it’s like the Senators own the papers and radio stations

37. Dennis_w says:

Kevin,

Just a reminder, you’re free to show your outrage at any of the non-leaf-related gossip and gutter speculation too.

38. Kevin F says:

I have nothing more to ask of Bruce,(for now at least) Dennis I’m done, if apologies are owed for every time someone makes a wrong speculation here that’s all there would be. Don’t know if you think I owe one for the great Alfie drama or not, I can say it has not played out exactly as I expected but the story is not closed as of yet, so I do apologize for not knowing exactly what was going to happen and just throwing a scenario out there for err,,,discussion.

39. Dennis_w says:

Kevin,

I don’t throw complete and unfounded BS out there and don’t have any respect for those who do. You claim (and I believe you) to be of the same mindset. But the vast majority on here seem to be of the opposite mindset.

My remark to you was as a suggestion that you might want to take non-leaf-related unfounded speculation as seriously as the leaf-related kind. Or else your moral outrage rings hollow.

Bobby I don’t know that he has that reputation although I do know he has been a part of organizations that went on to win the Stanley Cup fairly soon after he left so he has made some good moves.

To pick guys drafted a year ago and decide if they are good or not is a Bobbyism so I am not going to get into that debate – it is just too early for you or I to say how they will pan out although I believe you believe you know the future. That said, there are more than a few players from the 2011 draft that have high ceilings.

If you want to talk about Murray’s overall tenure here then we can do that. My initial thought is that really his results should be based on 2008 and on – even with O’Brien making the team (and take a look at that years draft – not many full time NHLers there – yet). Even more, it isn’t Murray doing the evaluating; for the most part he relies on the input from his scouts and Dorian in particular. I am sure all GM’s are forced to follow the same type of pattern.

In a couple of years we will have a more accurate view of the draft results but I know you and a few others believe that a GM should come in and turn a team around in no time. Every player must be extremely skilled, fast, big and physical (and mostly Canadian) but for others of us out there who don’t subscribe to that thinking or believe it is possible (since other teams get to draft players and pick up players via FA) it probably looks like Murray has the team on a pretty decent path.

Mark Stone a 6th round pick in year the Sens didn’t have a pick until the 3rd round (2010) looks like he could become a player

2009 could be a very nice draft year for Murray and the Senators with Cowen, Sifverberg and Lehner taken in the first and second rounds…add in Hoffman in the 5th (you have stated you like him) and Sdao in the 7th (he could be the big mean D we want in a couple of years) and you have 3 potential impact players and two guys who could become regular NHLers

2008 is a winner already. Karlsson is obvious – already won a Norris trophy. Borocop (5th round) is looking like he is ready to play and he has that edge you like – Zack was drafted 3rd round in that same year (as an over-ager) along with Petersson (4th round) who you seem to think was the missing ingredient in this past years playoff loss.

Silfverberg looks like he has some tools to be a productive NHLer and this year will go a long way to showing if he can be a game breaker – if he is the player many think he can be then this team will make a big step forward.

So I do believe his management of the drafting process has been very good but I also believe he hasn’t had as much success in trades or FA pick-ups (although many of his FA deals have been for bit-part players who have done what was expected).

I did not like the handling of Lee but many coaches didn’t see him as good enough to play so Murray dealt him – looks like it will be a bad move.

You don’t like Methot already…

Yawn…Kevin, Vis, Choke and now good old Murph trying to find more holes in Alfies decision to come back and play…

It drives you guys nuts that he is just a tremendous athlete who loves to compete, doesn’t it?

Can’t just be that he wants to play on a team that has some good, young players that are fun to play with? Can’t be that he is showing the same integrity he has shown his entire career (specifically as it relates to the Senators finances)…has to be something sinister going on.

Keep on keeping on…the gossip column could use you guys.

42. But isn’t speculation/discussion what a blog is all about? Appologies…why and to who? If someone is hurt by another’s post, speculating on how and when an aging veteran will return then I suggest they need help. Should appologies go out to God or the General Manager? If that is the case, would it be fair to suggest that the GM applogize to the fans for the many bad deals he has made over the last 6 years? I certainly don’t expect one from him nor should he!

I think there are some here who take this far too personally…don’t you think?

43. Kevin F says:

As usual you stay silent except when some old man is making a profit for a crown corporation and focuses on the Leafs too much in his 5 minute segment. I am comfortable with my consistent stance against delving into personal lives of all players, coaches and managers, reporters too.. It’s none of our business, if we can focus on hockey here it can be fun, if you want to gossip and “spew” (Bruce loves that one) unsolicited counseling count me out.

44. “To pick guys drafted a year ago and decide if they are good or not is a Bobbyism so I am not going to get into that debate” … neither will I Dave but I can offer an opinion. Perhaps 5 goals by Zibby impressed you (we finally learn that the Brilliant Murray wasn’t). I truly hope Sly is dandy (he certainly looked good in the rookie camp and would have loved to have seen him compete against NHLers but he chose not to which disapointed me. I don’t like Da Costa at all althoug I will concede he is nifty. I never like Butler. And, the team traded away a 16th draft pick in the first round to acquire Rund’sbad (another soft, offensive defenceman and another who dominated the SEL), promote the hell out of him only to trade him away months later! I am offering my opinion on his body of work over the last 6 years Dave. Why do we forget his first 5 years? So as GM, should he fall down it is Dorion’s fault…the very guy he appointed? Is the team ready to compete in his 7th year here Dave. 6 years is not a ‘turn around in no time” Dave. Cowen is just alright and we will see (afterall I am alone suggesting he is far too big to be so soft and not impressed with his foot speed…but that is just me and I really hope he gets much better); I hope Sly will be very good but again, we will see how he does in N/A afterall, he like Rundblad dominated a League of kids and is not true measurement. Zibby scored 5 goals in that league. Lehner had an awful year last year and from what I can gather his attitude needs serious adjustment! I like Petersson and why am I the only one who is confused why his name NEVER comes up? He and Hoffman may never pan out but at the very least they should have been given the same opportunity as Butler, Da Costa and Rund’sbad, don’t you think Dave? Smith developed on his own, he took a back seat to everyone’s favourite, Daisey the Air Rifle. I don’t like Zack Smith, I love the kid! He scored as many goals as Foligno (who every body loved) and almost as many as the Android (who everybody loved) but he did it playing with mung all year! He also played in 81 games playing an extremely physical game! Gilroy will be out of the NHL; Daisey will be out of the NHL Klink may be out of the NHL; Obrien may be too but he will be pressed into service. Dog is another bum.

I don’t give a damn about the “management of the drafting process”…that means diddly squat…I want great draft picks and don’t care about the process. The true measurement Dave is how the team will perform. How do you think they will do this year? You love the Senators and that is absolutely great, I love having the Senators but want and expect so much more from a guy who has been around for 30 years. I don’t dislike Methot, I simply think he is a very average defenceman who will not fight nor will he punish. The trade, like the Lee trade was awful (I don’t care if the guy is local…who does?). Lundinn is awful. Any guesses where the team will finish this…

45. Sorry Dave but I have to ask you, when did I suggest the team needed to be turned around at all and especially in no time? I for one, didn’t like the migration to tired old me who never completed for any other team in the NHL after leaving Ottawa…did you? The team traded 3 seconds and 2 first draft choices for some who left after one year with nothing nice to say. Murray signed a million soft defencemen many of whom are not hear anymore. He made old Russians richer. He made a useless goalie richer. He bout out many contracts. He aired dirty laundry. He took the best and most exciting team in the NHL and dismantled it in very short order. Was this the turn around you were looking for? If the team miss the playoffs this year (Murray’s 7th) will this be success, failure or, do we give him more time and are you like Dennis and think he should be given 3 to 5 more years?

I have read often that Murray is a great judge of talent, drafts well and devleops players; if you haven’t read that at all you may be the only one Dave. I just haven’t seen evidence of it here in Ottawa. I really like Spezza, Michalek, God, Turris (jury out on whether he is a realy 2nd line center and I would like to see him on the right side with Spezza); I love the line of Neil, Smith and the Android (but for some reason I don’t think they will be together) but the rest of the forwards are bums (in NHL terms). The defence are sub standard and for the most part soft and slow. Karlsson is a fabulous talent but Gonchar, Philips and Cowen are relatively soft and slow (some slower than others). Lundin is an AHLer and Methot and middle of the road guy at best.

The team does look bright in nets though. As for the managment team, I think they are God awful.

46. Dennis_w says:

Kevin,

Not sure who you were addressing the last comment to.

Bobby,

You “speculate” all the time and you’re wrong most of the time. That’s okay. It just seems very hypocritical when you point out one of the very few times you’re right.

47. Kevin F says:

Depressing that almost everyone here ,Dennis excepted, seem to believe that speculating on a players contract and playing status, is in the same category as speculating on a mans marital status and his relastionships with his children, even most horrifyingly his tradgically deceased ones. Is the dislike (hatred?) of the man and his organization so deep that skews even the most basic decency? I honestly don’t understand the thought process.
    David in your magnetic benevolence you said you were going to exercise mercy and leave me alone, and here you are picking on me again!

“To pick guys drafted a year ago and decide if they are good or not is a Bobbyism so I am not going to get into that debate” … neither will I Dave but I can offer an opinion.”

Yes you are entitled to your opinion Bobby and no I wasn’t impressed with 5 goals. My point is that I wasn’t really moved by it at all because it is so early in the development cycle that I can’t say his 5 goals means anything, good or bad.

By the same logic I don’t know that Stone will be a high scoring winger for the Senators because he tore up the WHL for two seasons or that Hoffman will become anything more than a bit player in the NHL after being the Q’s MVP…they are kids – things change in the matter of months. From their size to their mental maturity, to strength to their confidence, etc…

I am not blaming Dorion if things don’t go well I am just stating the obvious fact that Murray doesn’t travel around and watch junior kids play and make a master list and then draft off of it – he is the leader so he gets the blame/kudos but it is how he changed the culture of the Senators in terms of drafting and developing home grown talent that will do the organization a service long term. You don’t care about the process – fine, but go back and look at the players drafted before Murray got here and there is a huge gap in time (the Muckler years) where the team got nobody of significance.

As far as all the chances you want to give everyone, no I don’t think that everyone and their Daug (see how I did that? clever!) should get chances at the NHL level. I don’t know all of the in’s and out’s but I believe there is only a certain amount of movement you can have between your AHL team and the big club. In addition, I believe you can only carry so many guys on the NHL roster so if you had to move guys down to Bingo they would be exposed to waivers and giving players away isn’t typically a good move. And finally – you can’t have it both ways! You want guys to go down and develop except for when it doesn’t suit “your guys”. If Petersson comes in and plays well enough to earn a spot on the Sens this year you will say that they kept him down when he should have come up even though last year is probably exactly what he needed to be able to play in the NHL.

You say that Z.Smith is a NHL player in spite of Murray…again, you want it both ways. Murray drafted him, Smith developed in the AHL and got time at the NHL level and finally became a full time NHL player 3 years after being drafted – that seems like good development to me. Especially for an overage draftee picked in the 3rd round.

You complain about Rundlbad yet forget that is how we acquired Turris.

I don’t think 6 years is a long time in the sports world when you have to build something from nothing. The Senators had and still have some good veteran players but there was zero pipeline and personally I think it is very important and I am glad Murray has the sense and fortitude to do it.

I think the team is going to make the play-offs this season for a few reasons.

1. Goaltending – Anderson seems comfortable here and is playing great – if the need to go to back-ups then I think Bishop and Lehner can handle the load for a while. Our goaltending will probably be the biggest key in making the play-offs and being in games throughout the year

2. Better D
    - with Methot potentially replacing Kuba we get a quicker guy with the same body size who will hit people (check the stats – he has about the same number of hits as Kuba and Carkner combined) and who focuses on playing defense first
    - Borocop should make the move up and minus the heavyweight belt he can easily replace the production from Carkner in terms of intensity and he is a much quicker player
    - Cowen will come back stronger, quicker and wiser, will be more consistent and I expect a pretty significant jump in his offensive numbers, maybe as much as doubling from 17 to 34 (10 goals)
    - Norris trophy winner will be one year older, stronger and more mature and he will match last years offensive numbers while also having a better +/-

I fully expect the Senators to make big strides in the overall defensive game. Sens were 24th in GA and I think they should be no lower than 16 this season

3. More depth for scoring:
    – I am expecting that Silfverberg will get a chance on the top line and if he can replace the overall scoring of Greening/Butler/Foligno/whoever else got a chance up there then the rest of the players fit into more desirable roles
    - If Latendresse can stay healthy and score on the 2nd line then things really look good for the other lines. Latendresse can also be a big factor on the PP by getting in front of the net.
    - Turris should be back stronger and ready to play from day 1, you can see he has the tools and an offseason with a team that know how to develop players should be a big boost. I expect at least 20 goals and 50 points

4. Peter Regin – quietly going under the radar is the fact that the Sens have a potential #2 winger or #3 center coming back with a lot to prove and coming into a system (I know you hate that but the fact is that MacLean has the team playing more of a puck possession game) that fits him very well. He is a player that will allow the coaches to switch things up when they need a momentum change – he also makes the PK more dangerous with his speed.

5. MacLean – he will be one more year into his tenure and the team will be that much more prepared. It also sounds like he demands more physically of his players than previous coaches did so perhaps (just an assumption) the team will come into camp in better shape as a whole

There are unknown variables of course…if Spezza, Anderson and Alfie all go down to injury it will be a tough road but all things being even I expect our young guys to be better, our veterans to at least be consistent and hope for some surprises in camp.

Silfverberg for the Calder and a repeat Norris…

Geez Kevin is it now not even appropriate to mention you when I lump all the posters together who were all too happy to clamor all about Alfie having some ulterior motive in his decision making?

You are a proud Leaf fan who won’t talk Leaf hockey on this hockey blog but are more than willing to put your two cents in on all Senators related subjects…and to give digs at the pro writers who moderate this blog…you must have by far the thinnest skin here to not be able to take a little bit back.

OK though, I will accept your plea and just let you rant as you are wont to without commenting back to you specifically.