Clouston: He has a problem!

- May 15th, 2012

Cory Clouston has been sent packing by the Brandon Wheat Kings.
After signing a two-year deal with the Western Hockey League club last season, the former Senators coach was fired Tuesday by GM Kelly McCrimmon. Clouston was fired by the Senators at the end of last season.
“I have given a great deal of thought to our coaching situation for the upcoming season,” said McCrimmon in a statement posted on the club’s website.
“I do not want uncertainty with this and as a result have decided we will not have Cory return. He will perhaps have opportunities to coach professionally, failing that, we will honor the second year of his contract.”
The club went 39-28-1-4 last season, but was knocked out in the second round of the WHL playoffs by the eventual league champion Edmonton Oil Kings.

1. ChokerHater says:

you must be in second heaven reporting this
    the guy is down and you’re up
    nothing like jumping on a guy when he’s down
    very special

2. Dan Fogerty says:

Bruce seems to revel in former Sens falling on bad luck. It must have killed him to see Chara lift the cup last year or see Brian Elliott have such a great season.

I didn’t like Clouston much either but I’ll truly be happy when Bryan Murray finally fades into a cupless retirement after 35 kicks at the can.

Clouston is taking it on the chin the last few years here…too bad. Hope he gets the personality side of coaching sorted out as from what I read and hear that seems to be his large drawback.

Man the Kings look unstoppable right now. Talk about a 200ft game they are just all over the puck on every inch of the ice. Add in Brown, Richards and Doughty all playing at the top of their games (let alone Penner!) and Quick looking like the best goalie in the world and I don’t see anyone stopping them.

From out of the playoffs with a couple of weeks left in the season to in my books Stanley Cup favourites.

Almost forgot about Kopitar…he is unreal right now! Interesting to see him playing physical…big, skilled centerman throwing his weight around and showing how badly he wants to win. Great to see but also makes me even more pissed that Mucklers team decided on Brian friggin’ Lee over him and Staal (who is also playing great right now).

4. Winemaker says:

I guess I read the press release wrong. I took it to mean there were no legal or contractual impediments to Clouston taking an NHL coaching job, but nothing materialises, he can have his job back. I took that to mean clubs were interested in him but that they were afraid he was still bound under the current contract and some penalty costs would be required to hire him. Thanks for correcting me.

I have to concede I am totally confused why Clouston is given an opportunity, anywhere, to coach? From what I have witnessed (and I am certainly not saying I am an authority in any way) he fails technically, strategically, he is not a leader and he possesses zero personality. Who would want to play for him?

As a head coach, he has never won anything at any level (similarly, Cam-moron never won anythign at any level). Clouston’s record as a coach is nothing to boast about; from what I understand his record as a head coach looks like this: bounced in 2nd rd, bounced in 1st, bounced in 3rd, bounced in 1st, bounced in 1st, didn’t make the post season, failed to make the post season, bounced in 1st rd. Then he coached this year; so I ask, what do people see in him?

Inspite of his 34 and 32 record in Bingo, he won Murray’s approval and was promoted to the NHL (much like Cam-moron who lost with the best Junior team in the world – WJC when he cut RNH, and had the best Junior team in the Country and lost in the Memorial Cup). As the Senator’s coach, he was awful and the 76 – 83 numbers do not tell the entire story. The kid was lost and confused. The players had no idea what he wanted (because he didn’t know). He instituted a double standard of discipline. He offered mixed messages. There was no consistency form period to period and game to game and the lines kept changing and it was his personal version of 52 card pick-up. He ostricized some players and the dressing room was in chaos.

But, the “Little General” was loved by (sorry to say it Sun Shines) our hosts when he arrived! Only when it became painfully obvious he was totally out of his element did they pounce. His insecurity manifested itself in his dictatorial style, perhaps thinking in this way he would earn respect but he failed to realize he was working with men not boys. They saw right through it.

I was confused (and it is easy to do) when Murray hired Paddock, then Hartsburg and was totally confused by his decision to promote someone who had nothing on his resume but a successful history of winning diddly squat! But…he came very cheap.

I do not wish Clouston bad luck at all but perhaps he is best suited to be an assistant if he MUST coach at all. We are not getting the full monty on why the decision was made to wax him. If he ends up Coaching professionally, it, like his promotion here in Ottawa, will be a complete shock!

6. Bruce Garrioch says:

Dan I don’t care about Cory Clouston or Brian Elliott. Not one bit. This is where you are completely wrong but you and guys like Chokerhater refuse to get it

7. Kevin F. says:

Lol, once again Bruce could care so little he makes a rare appearance, me thinks thou doth protest too much! As I have been pointing for years it’s classic Ottawa media, especially the Sun and Sensteam1200, as long as your in good standing with Sens management/ownership you are gold with the loyal “reporters”. The minute a guy leaves or it becomes obvious that departure is inevitable look out! Previously unreported flaws become suddenly well known, innuendo and rumour start floating about.
    Not so long ago Cory was repeatedly called one of the brilliant young minds in hockey in these parts, now?
    I’m sure Heatley turned into the selfish creep he is portrayed as now, the day he asked for a trade and not a minute before.
    What caused the venom directed at others such as Elliot, the Ghost and others surely must have been somewhat evident even when they were performing well for the organization. And on and on it goes
    There are exceptions of course Bowmess, Martin and Chiarelli come to mind mostly they are part of the old buddy buddy network, the group of media former players coaches and hangers on who delight in celebrating each other and inflating each others egos,that envelops the town and the organization.

8. Robert M says:

Bruce, regarding the trolls – opinions are like a——-, everybody has one.

9. ChokerHater says:

hahahaha your too much Bruce
    we refuse to let it go! ! ! !
    who wrote this blog?????
    not me, you did
    and after reading some other papers who reported the truth, it looks like you left a few things out, may I suggest, probably on purpose.
    Try the fact that he was let go because the club knew he was looking at some offers in the AHL and NHL
    and he let the team know, and he has in his contract that he can leave the team at any time as long as he is moving UP
    The team said they wanted to make sure they had a coach for next year and didn’t want to wait for him to make his position clear, so they let him go. A team can’t morally interview new coaches when they already have one under contract.
    Funny the things we leave out and miss when “we can’t let it go”

10. Bruce Garrioch says:

Criticism is always funny from someone afraid to sign their name. I give Kevin this: He signs his name. Anyway, it is good to have Choke back because he stirs up debate and makes it entertaining. He was missed. So was Kevin. He’s been writing for years. Reads every word. Never misses us. Both bring informed debates. By the way Choke I said “you don’t get it.” So if you can’t get that right I’m not sure where you read Clouston had pro aspirations.

11. ChokerHater says:

well they way I read it, and you seemed to have missed this part, it sounds like he has offers on the table.
    Speaking of stirring it up
    I thought your King Alfie had injuries….doesn’t seem to have much trouble playing for his beloved home country….bum
    Canada looks good as usual over there but with the addition of two bad attitudes on the Russian team (Ovie and Semin) it tilts the scales a little.
    I think these European players couldn’t give a rats @#$ about our Stanley Cup playoffs, the big money players make upwards of $80,000.00 per game during the regular season and downwards of $1500.00 in the playoffs and it takes a tough man to play playoff games

Oh and save your shots about signing my name, what the heck does that matter, it is what it is, if I signed my own name, you’d want my autograph

12. ChokerHater says:

oh ya, I’m just out for the weekend LOL

13. Bruce Garrioch says:

Still good to have you back. Write as much as you can.

14. ChokerHater says:

Was wondering what your thoughts on Tort’s are, I know your buddy doen’t like him but it seems his players like him, or at least they seem to respect him, kind of like the way they used to respect Keenan (sp) or is that terrified, but I think most of the media is terrified by him too.
    Funny how for a few short years these type of coaches bring out the best of the players, but after a couple years it wears off, the teams go south, generally with pretty much the same players, they get fired and turn up in a new town and start all over with pretty much the same results. Is that called coach shelf life?

15. Matt Macdonald says:

Bob Cole is the worst broadcasters in the league. He belongs calling nothing games in Toronto. And no one cares about your fashion opinion, leave the great Don Cherry’s dress code out of your hockey analyst.
    Thanks

ChokerLover I am sure you stopped watching hockey when your chronic underachievers (who have probably pushed it to the brink now – time for the fire sale!) but Alfie came back to play game 6 and 7…he is such a competitor that he wanted to go and Captain the Swedish club for the Worlds taking place in his own country…what a bum indeed.

Don’t see any Sharks on the Canadian team? How far they have fallen…sort of.

Even worse was Muckler choosing Redden over a 6’9″ work out fanatic who only a short time before was a Norris trophy finalist.

18. Bruce Garrioch says:

Choke: It is strange when Tortorella was in Tampa, he was engaging, hung around for a long time and gave interesting answers. Now, he’s just a jerk. Total jerk.

19. Kevin F. says:

Like it or not results are all that matters, Torts indeed appears at least on the surface to be the worst kind of horses ass, dispicable in fact. And every playoff home game puts millions into the already overflowing MSG coffers. I’m sure Eugene and the Suits at MLSE would gladly tolerate the most boorish dink for a dozen or so home dates when it matters most.
    As for the damaging PR argument BS! Listening to several Sirius and other regular New York based radio programs, both sports and non sports channels, hockey’s profile hasn’t been this high since 1994. And as we all know what New York thinks is paramount to Gary and his admin. And what NYC loves is over the top obnoxious behavior. As Cox tweeted this am Torts can turn chatty again when he is between coaching gigs. He will be in TSN or sportsnets studio yakking within moments of getting canned by the Rangers.
    To quote crazy Al Davis, just win baby.

20. ChokerHater says:

OD99 says:
    May 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm
    ———————————————————————————–
    hey 99, have you OD’d, the biggest underachiever in the league are the Senators who are guaranteeing a Stanley in their first tem years, but that’s twenty years ago
    —————————————————————————————————————
    Bruce, wasn’t it in Tampa where Torts told a reporter to #$%@ off, and kept telling him to get lost and refused to go on with the news conference until the guy left. I laughed so hard when I watched that interview but he was pretty hard on the reporter. I’d never seen a coach of any sport, ream a guy like that. I’m sure you know the one I’m talking about, I’ll bet it’s on YouTube
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    man it’s nice to be out for the long weekend ;)

Of course results is the only thing that matters in sports Kevin, but the question is, what impact does Yosemite Sam have? I will suggest, he has very little to do with the success they have enjoyed. I am quite sure there are players on the Rangers team who would love to smack the fool. In this era (business and sport) managing people by fear doesn’t work and if it does, it is short lived. I remember having a similar discussion with a senior manager with Bell Canada (who believed in fear). I suggested it was not good long term because when an empolyee can make the decision to go the extra mile or not with no cosequence, he will go through the wall for someone he likes/respects but do a full stop for the brow beating jerk.

There are two kinds of PR, good and bad. In the “entertainment business” most of the time it doesn’t really matter, simply move the meter baby (Caligula Woods was recently voted “the most despised althlete on the planet” but the networks supersaturate golf fans with his exposure whether he be a first class cad or not). No doubt the multitudes love Yosemite Sam and his hostility, profanity and vulgarity, it is the new kool! Actually, he was a dud on “The Panel”. He didn’t want to “play”.

I still don’t know what he does that is so good. If sitting a 40 goal scorer is inteligent, then I guess he is a genius. If relying on Lundquist all the time is all on the Coach, then he is brilliant. If calling out players all the time shouting so loud hemorrhoids burst, hey, he is a great! He fails to understand that hockey is a game of mistakes. Mistakes are made every shift in every game and NHL players know, they don’t need to be told. It is my contention that the Rangers would have had a far better record with someone else at the helm. In all likelyhood the Rangers will advance to the Stanley Cup final, but it will have very little to do with the short Tort.

22. ChokerHater says:

Some good points there Bobby (god I’m getting soft)
    but, coaches like Sam work, for a time, until the players block you out, but they do work
    Bowman used to treat his players like crap, they were afraid of him, but they played hard because they knew.
    Keenan was the same way even more fierce, and every team he has ever taken, got better, stayed better for a year or two then dropped off when the players turned on him. Pat Burns had the same fierce side, but also a soft underbelly that the players respected

23. Kevin F. says:

Not sure how much or little a coach contributes Bob,varies from specific situation to situation I imagine. You always maintained Bowman was just lucky and opportunistic, which may be true but bottom line is he won the big prize several time.
    Coaching appears to be a major reason why the Sens had a surprisingly successful season, but there may be a cautionary tale there. Anyone recall who the surprising team and coach were exactly a year ago? Why it was the Lightning and their brilliant young coach Boucher. A goal away from eliminating the eventual cup champs.This year not so good. A long winded way to my main point, the consistantly better the goaltender, the better the coach.

I know some thought Boucher was brilliant, no doubt about it. But these seriously intense coaches have a short shelf life. I can only imagine what Lecavalier and St Louis must have thought with Boucher at the wheel. Bowman was brilliant, with his timing. Choke suggested the Candiens players were afraid, I can tell you it was just the opposite. When Peter Mahovalich was there, he and others mocked Bowman, far from feering him, they laughed at him. Some will say he made his championship winning teams great and I suggest they were great before he got there. He had great teams in Buffalo but couldn’t close the deal. Anyone could have won championships with the teams he had in Montreal and Detroit. Bowman was the guy who wanted to make an explosively fast and hight scoring forward…a defenceman.

One thing is for sure, who ever the coach may be, if a team is to go far in the post season, his players need to on board. I truly believe Yosemite Sam’s act is wearing very thin with some players in New York. From a fan’s perspective, I laugh at him marching up and down the bench ranting and raving, calling players out and his constant look of disgust but as a player, it might be much different.

Hot goalies will forever make geniuses of Coaches and GMs. Oh yes, did I say that Yosemite Sam is an idiot?

Keep telling yourself that ChokerLover…how long have the Sharks been in the league now?

Had a star studded team for the last few years but just can’t get it done – by far the biggest chokers in the NHL in the last 5-6 years…by faaaar.

26. Kevin F. says:

So Petey and pals laughed at Bowman did they, a comparison of post Hab accomplishments would likely give Scottso reason to giggle, if he ia that sort (no idea),important roles on cup winners in Pitts and Detroit lesser in Chi pale to Little Ms accomplishments with the Toledo Goaldiggers and pro scout (read:old boys network backslapper).

I think you are giving the senior Bowman far too much credit. I can’t comment on his “lesser roles” ’cause I don’t really know what he did behind the scenes. Perhaps he helped his son in his role as GM in Chicago, who have never been the same since Talon the architect of their Stanley Cup winning team, was dismissed. I am not comparing Peter’s accomplishments with Scotty’s and I suspect you know that. Mahovalich was a “character” to say the least but he did have 773 points in 884 games and was a plus 234. I am not sure he coached at all but I know that Bowman played the game; I think Peter was better…don’t you?

The story about the players laughing at Bowman comes from skuttle-butt and a little and mildly amusing Larry Robinson book he co-authored many years ago. My opinion of Bowman is based on what I witnessed. St Louis Blues were comprised of Montreal cast offs (the Habs were just that deep). The Blues had relatively tough team with the Plagers. Bowman joined the Habs when they were a dynasty. He, in my opinion, had very little to do with their success. Al Macneil won a cup with them and how many more would he have won had he not been dismissed for not speaking French which must have really offended Richard. Bowman couldn’t win in Buffalo and he wanted to make a dynamic, blazingly fast forward a defenceman in Detroit. A very silly experiement. He won Cups, no doubt, but they were with two teams who were talent laden. His accomplishments are impressive, just like Sam Pollock’s. But when you examine it with a little more focus, they aren’t really so amazing. The Habs had the first 2 drafts out of Quebec for ever and stock piled talent to could play or trade away to again, stockpile drafts. Pollock took advantage of nimwitted GMs (check out how they secured the pick that landed Lafleur). So Bowman coached all those Cup winning teams; great..but better timing.

28. Kevin F. says:

Using stats to establish the unchallenged cred (as a player) is interesting Bob in that you ignore Bowmans glittering win loss/ and cup record in your critique not going to rebeat this dead horse but a quick study of character Peteys career stays reveal that Scotty may not have been the only one to benefit from being in the right place at the right time. His time away from the dynasty team was less then remarkable.

Agreed…but I never suggested Peter was a great player. But, I have said often that Bowman’s stats, although outstanding, are somewhat misleading.

Peter did have some remarkable years though. I can remember defenceman saying he was the toughest to defend one on one. I heard goalies say he was one of the most difficult to stop on a break away. But, the discussion was never about Mahovalich it was always about MY personal opinion on Bowman’s record. C’es ca mon ami. Oh, is Yosemite Sam now a bad coach because the results are in and they are out.

Bowman must be a great man though, he recently recieved the order of Canada! He should be right there next to Dum Cherry as one of the 10 greatest Canadians of all time! I do get a kick out of awards like these. Nick Faldo was a great golfer not necessarily a nice man having been married a bunch times, having kids (like Lord Burke), affairs usually with girls half his age and for that, he is “Knighted”. As was Mick Jagger!!!!Yesyourassisfat was awarded a NObel Peace Prize for God sakes.

30. Kevin F. says:

Yikes, why look up and quote his stats then? Jayzuzz Bob this one is all over the place, truly enjoyable though! Faldo, Jagger, Burke and what I assume is Arafat involved in elicit sexual misconduct with young women! Oh the morality. On a hockey blog no lessi wonderful nuttiness! Lunacy of the highest order I love it! Keep em coming.

31. Dennis_w says:

Kevin,

Much like Coach’s Corner, the Bobby Blog is purely for entertainment purposes only.

Ouch…now that one hurts Dennis…compare me to anybody…anyone…but not Dum Cherry!

I quoted Mahovalich’s numbers because I suspected you were not aware he did have some good years. I thought the discussion was focussed on Bowman but, again, I was wrong…no problem…it certainly wont be the last time mon ami.

I am glad you enjoyed my reference to Yesyourasisfat…sometimes, I kill me! Indeed, I linked Jagger, Faldo and Burke together by design…I do not understand why they are celebrated! Unlike most, I try not to reward bad behaviour. The point is, I don’t care too much about awards whether it be the Norris, Vezina, MVP etc. The criteria is mostly subjective and very political. The Norris changes from year to year. The Vezina should be based in the best Save Percentage. The MVP is totally completely bizarre (the most valuable to a team…exactly how is that measured?).

As for our topic, Scotty Bowman. There is not doubt he garnered a lot of attention with the Cups his teams have won. And, as I have suggested, he was in the right place at the right time. The Habs won 25 cups in 100 years and that is a pretty damn good record; don’t you think? They haven’t won one since their goaltending stole it in ’93. The tide was turning and the playing field was levelling. I still say that I could have coached the teams Bowman had in the 70s and won. Before Bowman, Dick rvin won championships, as did Toe Blake and for him it was really easy. Claude Ruel won a Cup with the Habs, as did Al Macneil, Jean Perron and Jacques Demers. Bowman won a Cup with Pittsburg in 92, now that must have been difficult with the roster they had then. He then me moved on to Detroit. There is no disputing the numbers Kev but sometimes they can be decieving and in my opinion (that is all…just my dumbass opinion) Bowman was far better at planning/timing that he was as a head coach.

33. Kevin F. says:

Bob feel free to educate me any time but I am and always was aware that Petey had some good years. His time as a non Hab playing and post retirement accomplishments are devoid of anything significant as far as I can tell. You have repeatedly used the “scuttlebutt” that Petey and pals laughed at Bowman as proof that he was a bad coach. You go with that and your belief in 50 years of serendipity, I’ll go with 9 Stanley Cup rings or whatever it is give or take. Just my final equally dumbass opinion.

Kevin…I don’t give a crap bout Petey. I never suggested the “scuttlebutt” that Petey and pals laughed at Bowman as proof that he was a bad coach. And, I never said he was a bad coach! I did say, often, that his timing was much better than his coaching abilities. The Habs haven’t won a cup since it was stollen in 93, almost 20 years. in the previous 80 (including ’93) the Organization won 25 Cups! Damn they had a lot of unbelievable coaches! Some were batting 1000 in Stanley Cup wins. Toe Blake won 8 with the Club. What organization even came close to those numbers (approximately 1 every 4 years). When the tide was shifting, the amazing Coach pulled the plug and went to greener pastures.

You may think he is great but I don’t. No big deal Kevin. It is afterall, just my opinion and not empiracal fact. It is a discussion topic only and when I examine the facts (to me) the results reveal a bit more. Do you think Sam Pollock was a great General Manager or was he simply blessed with a lot of currency (talent) to work with or both? Far be it for me to educate you or anybody else.

35. Kevin F. says:

Far from loving him, Never gave Scotty too much thought one way or the other Bob just put forth the point that he won, which should be the only yardstick that anyone is judged by, especially at or near the end of a long career.
    Pollock was of course a great manager he won, a lot. Yes he had the advantage of the 2 priority choices in Quebec but lets not forget that at the time the predujices against Quebec bred players ran deep and until expansion Quebecoise where rarely recruited by any of the other 5 teams. The Habs had a monopoly on these players by default to a large extent. No matter how acquired Pollock managed said assets beautifully with patience and foresight. The fact that he ravaged bumbling managers of expansion era teams can hardly be used against him he was allowed a bully pulpit and managed it into a dynasty, certainly the best most dominate team I ever personally witnessed and possibly the best team ever. No luck involved there just smarts.
    To continually put forward stats and anecdotes to support ones point then back off and claim that they meant nothing after being challenged defies logic.
    I think we can all drop this caveat ,,,but these are just my opinions.

36. Kevin F. says:

On another note you are a single digit handicap Bob? Nice, never got out of the double digits, even when I played a lot, now after foot surgery and ten years of bi weekly playing on average I am lucky to break 90, just enjoy the day and don’t lose my mind when I start spraying it around anymore. Always jealous of the naturals!