Day 1

- January 12th, 2013

The Senators didn’t go on the ice Saturday.
Just medicals. They can’t go on the ice until the paperwork is done a on a collective bargaining agreement.
Here’s a look at the depth chart. I’m a little concerned about the blueline. What do you think?

Forwards

46 Patrick Wiercioch-5 Cody Ceci
Injured: 10 Mike Lundin

Goaltenders
41 Craig Anderson
30 Ben Bishop
40 Robin Lehner

Speaking of defence, Brian Lee would have been useful. What a dumb trade that was.

I know you are simply throwing units together but I have a few thoughts.

It would be a huge mistake to separate Smith from two wingers like Greening and Neil. Together they would make a formidable 3rd line! The first two lines could be good (we will wait and see about sly but he has earned a spot on the big club (his extremely soft play has me concerned). Ltendresse may pan out to be a dandy and I hope he can return to the way he played when he scored a lot of goals for Minni. /what a mistake it would be to unite Smith with O’myGodBrien in the middle. Daugavins isn’t an NHLer. Noesen should spend at least a year in the manures to hone his skills like: Zibby (who no one wants to talk about), Petersson (who no one wants to talk about), Prince. Like what Wiercioch and Boro did.

As for the defence, you are right and it is a major issue. Gonchar, although nifty and smart, is old, extremely soft and slow and there vulnerable. The Big Rig is very soft, slow and aging (lets hope he can get as fired as he did with the labour dispute!). Karlie is extremely soft, one dimensional and invisible in his own end. Lundin in 241 games in the bigs has 35 points and 54 penalties. He too is an extremely soft playerd. Since the 08-09 season he has played only 135 games in the NHL. He isn’t an NHLer (so why the 28 year old acquired?).

Methot is a local boy and he has size which is great (but so does the Big /rig). In 275g the 27 year old has 51 points and is -6! He doesn’t spend any time in the penalty box (far less than 2pim/gm) and he doesn’t drop the golves. He may have led Clumus in hits but c

…sorry

Methot may have led led the Blue Jacket but so what. There is a very good reason Lundin at 28 and Methot at 27 have played so little in the NHL, they aren’t that good and Lundin is worse!

The team will have to play some from Bingo and Benoit, Wiercioch and /boro have earned the opportunity (although the diminutive Benoit is a career AHLer for a good reason).

I would like to know what the expectations are for the team; I suspect they will not make the post season and I hope they don’t (lets get a great draft). The team needs to play some kids (and not for a game or two) to give them a taste and test their skill/metal. This a great opportunity for the team and to play in the first round of the playoffs to get bounced serves and proves nothing. As much as I don’t like Sather, when he coached the young and talented Oilers, he told them to go out and do what they do, have fun but be responsible. I like that approach. Morons like Cam-moron and most recently Spot-off will preach discipline….big mistake. Why teach a surgeon to lay bricks. Write this year off as a learning experience and another step in the young players development. My suspicion is the Oilers, having played a year showing off their talent will have a good year because they have also developed confidence and trust in their own capabilities…the same should happen here!

Did Melnyk really say that there are players with the Sens who think this team is better than the one that played in the Stanley Cup final in ’07? Seriously? Poor Eugene, he really does need a writer or at the very least someone ever present to vette his thoughts before they are made public. Of course we all remember him telling the media (on national TV yet) to hold on because “we are going all the way” a year or two ago. He just sent out a news letter to promote the organizations Community Involvement. Why? We all know very well it is a self serving excercise just like the efforts of Bell and other organziations. Does he really think real hockey fans give a shite? Don’t get me wrong, its all good but it is totally self serving and like advertising serves a purpose!

The players were invisible during the lock out and, the ones that were here, had every opportunity to do much. We will see the program ramp up now that the game is back on! God will rediscover his Community Leadeship! Which reminds me, If to lead is to: be first, be up front, guide, show direction, be first and lead the way… wouldn’t living a quiet, hermit-like lifestyle be inconsistent with the notion of community leadership?

I also find it interesting that we are polluted with pics of God, Karlie and now Sly (Zibby is now a forgotten man and will live in obscurity until his play gets a hell of a lot better) but we get very little of Spezza (compared to KIng and God). Does the paper need to be reminded that Spezza came in 4th in league scoring playing with bums on the right side most of the year?! Spezza had an amazing year and he didn’t play with God or Heatley. He was a league leader in number of faceoffs taken, a league leader in winning percentage; he led the league in points scored away from home ice; he was plus 11 and finally the team realized he could effectively kill penalties. Even Karlie will attribute much of his success to Spezza; when asked last year his secret, he responded by saying “I give the puck to Spezza as quckly and as often as I can”.

It should be noted that Sly’s success in December conspicuously came when he had Hoffman join him on his line. The other paper suggested The Hoff lacks wheels, I couldn’t disagree more.

So, how is Zibanejad doing again….again….again……….

5. PaV says:

Anyone else not all that excited about opening game?

Classic. I hear that the SENS are trying to get fans back. The Kings gave a million bucks to the city….. SENS are giving free parking. Well done. I am sure that 11$ is really going to go a long way in getting fans back.

6. Daniel Murphy says:

Well, at last, someone told me where the Sens stand on the rebuild. This is officially year 2 of a 3 year rebuild according to Eugene. So my question to anyone who dares to respond is this. Should we expect a good season from the Sens with aspirations of a Cup or at least going very deep into the playoffs, or do we give them a pass this season no matter what happens?

Looking at Bruce’s lineup above, the defense doesn’t look very solid and it will be interesting to see how our goal scoring production is. There is no rush but if I am Murray, I would really focus on trading one of the goalies to improve our defense.

Every village has a fool. Ottawa has 18,500 fools who will likely show up to the opening game against Florida.

Good point Mikey. Lundin isn’t even an NHLer and Methot is a borderline NHLer. Neither of them will punish the oppositon, nor will they make forwards thinks twice about standing in front of the net or going into the corners, Nor will they drop the gloves. Gilroy is a big fat -16 in the manures this year.

The Sens had a winning record with Lee in the lineup and I don’t know how anyone could perform well knowing they would sit with a single mistake (Da Oats-like Costa, Butler, the wizard Rund’blad got ample opportunity to play regardless). I am not the biggest Lee fan but he is far better than Gilroy; while Tampa quickly signed Lee to a contract for a few years, Ottawa sent Gilroy packing!

Brian Lee, 6-3, 206lbs, 25yrs, 187gms, 36pts, 108pim
    Mike Lundin, 6-1, 195lbs, 2yrs8, 241gms, 35pts, 34pim
    Marc Methot, 6-3, 225lbs, 27yrs, 275gms, 51pts, 208pim

Make no mistake, Ottawa’s defence will be vulnerable.

To quote a friend, I have been told that “Noesen and Silfverberg look great”; God looks “v e r y s l o w” and Latrendresse needs “a lot of work”.

I think you are being a little tough on Methot. His numbers aren’t bad and he has played on a brutal BlueJackets team his entire career.

He wasn’t brought in to be a game breaker but to stabilize the D and add a bit more of a physical dimension. His hit and blocked shot totals show that he can be effective. From what I know he is also a very good skater, not slow at all. I can’t confirm as I don’t know I have seen him much but from what I have seen he gets around the ice pretty well.

He isn’t a fighter but he will stick up for his teammates as well.

Lots to see – I don’t like that Latendresse needs a lot of work though…

Maybe I am tough on Methot Dave but he will even concede he isn’t a tough player. He, like Lundin (who isn’t an NHLer) hasn’t played a lot of games in the Bigs for a guy who is 27 years of age; as always, there is a really good reason for that! He’s certainly no Fistric who is well known as a (the Sun suggests) real Punisher! That is what I would like to see in an Ottawa Uni.

But, we wil see.

10. PaV says:

Its funny…. Melynk was on the radio yesterday and he said that he hasn’t heard anything negative said to him or the SENS staff about the lock out. It was radio, so I am not sure if his nose was growing or not.

I think that the club is not doing enough to bring fans back. The loyal fans who bought season tickets for years are not getting calls from any of the reps from SBP. I am not the only one. I have talked to a few who didn’t renew or asked for their money back and they haven’t heard anything at all, not even a call to say ‘hii.

How can there be no negative feedback? Yes I was on the owners side on this lockout, but does he realize that a number of people (SBP staff, bars etc) jobs? How can that not be negative.

Maybe he lost his perspective on his trips back and forth between here and his other houses.

In reference to your comments Bobby, lets see them play before we jump on who is playing bad.

Who gets the start on Sat? Don was hosting the team and said that Lenher looked better than Andy and Bishop……….

Pierre, I am sorry I neglected to include you earlier…you are a mainstay and love to read your takes. I don’t always agree with them but they make for a lively discussion (er…they used to when posts didn’t sit idle for 2 weeks).

It will be interesting to see how some teams fair this year. The usual suspects (in the east) will be great as usual: Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, Flyers but how will NJD, Carolina, Panters and Lightning do? I strongly suspect the Habs (should they sign PK) will be much better. They will be much tougher to play against and Bergevin has put together a stellar management team with many years of NHL experience (unlike Ottawa who has none). The Habs will be much tougher to play against and they may have the best goalie in the league! Toronto sadly, will be God awful and will most certainly miss the playoffs yet again. Didn’t NoNonis look excited when he was promoted to GM?! It is comical to listen to GMs (anyhwere) lie through their teeth about their respective teams. That genius coach for the Leafs “has all the confidence in the world in his goaltender”…right…and that is why NoNonis is desperately pursuing Luongo! Ottawa’a vulnerability will be on the back end; with Philips/Gonchar, Karlsson/Methot, Benoit, Wiercoch, Lundin they are collectively very soft. Only Borowiechi delivers the hurt! The big question mark up front will be Latendresse and Silfverberg. Daugavins, Obrien, Condra are awful.

I read that Zibby is back and that is great! He played the other night. I was concerned however with a comment Richardson made. He made it clear he wants Zibby to work on his defence…why! The kid has scored only 6 goals in a year and a half! Any ham and egger can learn to play defencive hockey! Zibby can skate, shoot, hit and is unafraid, encourage him and give him every opportunity to score goals for God sakes!

I am a little surprised Grant wasn’t invited to this mini-camp. I will take him on one leg over O’myGodBrien, The Dog and Condra! He is young, big, can skate and has scored goals…what’s not to like? How far below the cap will Ottawa be? Perhaps that is why a kid like Grant will continue playing in Bingo.

So Bruce and Don…any juicy training camp tidbits?

Didn’t get to see the Bingo game tonight but did see highlights and read some posts on it…5-1 win over the Amerks…DaCosta playing with Zib and Stone for near future at least and he had 2 goals with the young(er)sters getting 1 A each.

Cowick with 2 more (I said recently I liked his game in the past while and his two goals are why – both rebounds from the slot – get dirty son!) and Pageau with 3 assists.

From what I read the line combo’s were this:

Dziurzynski-Grant-Downing

Cowick-Pageau-Jessiman

Zibanejad-Da Costa-Stone

Hamilton-Cannone-Prince

Gryba +4 with a couple of nice hits…he has looked good lately as well. Not running around too much but still very physical…and he has a cannon from the point even though he may not get it off very much. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him get a few games this year if the team feels they aren’t tough or physical enough.

I think Condra is a little under appreciated – not saying he is a super skilled guy but he consistently is in the right position and I can see him potentially becoming a Kelly type guy…I think guys like playing with him because he is responsible.

It is only a matter of a season or two for Daug and O’Brien…probably only this season, if that for Daug…O’Brien I am meh about but for a 4th liner he is a decent skater and has size. Still, I expect Grant and maybe even Cowick to make some noise (in fact include DD as well as he plays physical and can fight) next year and the year after for 4th line minutes.

So I sold out…I will be at the opening game.

You didn’t sell out buddy…you are simply a hockey fan. C’est ca.