Fighting for a reason

- March 20th, 2012

There is a reason for fighting.
It happened the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers game Monday night at Madison Square Garden. If you didn’t see it, here it is:

This was incredible. It had to happen because John Tortorella and Peter DeBoer wanted it to happen. The NBC Sports Network televised this effort. Old time Hockey.
There will be fines and suspensions.
There has to be. You wonder if Peter DeBoer will be behind the New Jersey bench tonite.
He might not be. He has some explaining to do and just to show everything is politically correct, Brendan Shanahan may have to suspend DeBoer. Not saying it is right but it could happen.
But, sometimes messages have to be sent.
Ban fighting from the game? Please.
l A QUICK UPDATE: No Jason Spezza tonight. He is sick. He attended his friend Nic Zoricic’s funeral in Toronto Monday. He has the flu. Won’t play. Bobby Butler gets to play.

Some may talk about about truculence, beligerence, testosterone and pubnacity, others actually do it. I don’t support what went on last night, but I did watch it! The fact is, if fighting is going to part of the game, can you enforce provisions as to how it can be conducted? What would be the difference if the combatants fought all at the same time on the 3rd shift for example and, what would be the difference if they all fought, but at different times in the game? The entire discussion is really very silly. So DeBoer may get fined, serve a one game suspension or both; what does it change? And why DeBoer and not Yosemite Sam? Shanny as a member (in very good standing) of the Old Boys Club, can dole out all the punishment he wants. It will resolve nothing. Bruce, you say a message needs to be sent, what is the message; and why.

2. bruce.garrioch says:

You don’t support it? Please Bobby. Get off your high horse.

The whole thing was ridiculous, but it was certainly entertaining. If there are coach suspensions out of this, and I don’t think there will be, they should both be suspended. Tortorella was just as guilty as DeBoer, Tortorella could have just as easily started all of his stars, and the worst that would have happened, is the Rangers would have gotten a power play out of it. As soon as |Tortorella moved a defenceman to centre, it was obvious what was going to happen. What was with the Ranger (not sure whicjh one) pounding on the Devil when he was down on the ice? That should maybe be a supension.

4. PaV says:

Mike8888 I am with you… but hey, it brings back the memory of Ottawa and Philli when the fights were staged. Loved it then, love it now. It may be barbaric of me, but man oh man…. its fun to watch.

Its going to be a good tilt, lets hope NJD has a little left in the tank to make this game…. interesting… go sens go.

Excuse the typos, i am posting this from my cell.

I am confused (and that is easy to do Bruce) what do you mean get off of my high horse? I said I don’t support it, but did watch it. I also said that any punishment dolled out but be a waste of everyone’s time (symbolic only and a silly/transparent effort only to manage perception). If fighting is allowed in the game, why have provisions as to how they do it? What high horse?

6. PaV says:

Meh.. the game was so so last night.

looks like each time Ottawa shot at the net, it hit a NJD player.

The “O” has dried up.

Here is hoping. Need to win at least 5 of the remaining 8…

I know early it was looking like a bonus that the Sens would make the playoffs but is anyone else thinking they just might let it slip away?

Tough games coming up…Habs always give us trouble, Pens are hot, Jets in their barn, Philly then Isles…both the Caps and the Sabres have turned their games around and are charging…this could get ugly and even during a rebuild if the Sens collapse now they will deserve all the negativity they will get.

Need someone to step up here soon!

8. bruce.garrioch says:

Just felt that response was appropriate. Ha!

Is it just me or are the last 3 or 4 Sen’s games very dull? (not just because they lost either)

In looking at the standings and the remaining schedules I think that the Sens are still looking good to make the play-offs…Buffalo has some tough teams ahead of them and if Ottawa can win 3 of it’s last 8 games then the Sabres would have to go 6-2-1 since I believe the Sens have the tie breaker…don’t want to fall to 8th though and face the Pens in 1st round again.

If we can hold 7th and the Panthers can overtake the Bruins then the Sens would be in the absolute best position possible and there would be some amazing (sad in a way) first round match-ups. Could be like this:

Caps @ Pens

Sens @ Panthers

NJ @ Bruins

Philly @ Rangers

Would love to see the Sens pick a line-up and stick with it for now…didn’t get to see any of the game last night but sounds like we played OK, but as we are prone to do couldn’t generate enough offence.

No horse, no high and Bruce, no worries. I’m with you Dave. There are some tough games ahead! I have to say, I do not understand the coach. I will always be bother by decisions that don’t put the team in the best position to win games. Butler in the lineup is one of those decisions and Butler on the 4th line is nonsensical. Condra on the 4th line is nonsensical. Konopka in the lineup is nonsensical. Obrien in the middle is nonsensical. Klink on with Alfie is nonsensical. 3 defenceman on a two man advantage is worse than nonsensical, it is retarded! Did the Coach really suggest the problem with the PP was they had to work harder (per Potvin)? That’s nonsensical. Does anyone know what the Assistant Coaches are responsible for? I know I wouldn’t want Cam-moron looking after the PP, he doesn’t know what skill is; afterall, he didn’t invite Toffoli to even try out for his Canadian Junior Team in the WJC and will forever be remembvered as the guy who cut Ryan Nugent-Hopkins!

How did Obrien move to the second line center role (‘tween Foligno and Neil) when that is where he has been the last umteen games (and why is he in the middle again)? I heard Gord Wilson before the game suggest that Spezza be taken off of the PP. Now that makes a lot of sense Wilsie? Poor Gord Wilson, I suspect he and Brown never pulled on a jock strap in their entire lives.

I wonder why Greening or Neil get stints on the PP but not Smith. Smith has scored his goals playing with bums where as Greening has had the benefit (for the most part) of playing with great players. Smith is very physical and he has 5 more goals than Neil, so why not give him a chance? Its not like the PP is working.

Ottawa is an easy team to play against and I favor teams that are tough to play against. How any defenceman can play an entire game and not register a single hit is beyond my comprehension. Philips, at 6-3 and well over 200 lbs was not creditted with a single hit last night and he aint there for his offence now is he. How can a defenceman do that? Gilroy, the offensive defenceman, didn’t have a single hit. After 10 games with the Sens he has all of 1 assist; at this pace he will fall short of what Lee did in his 28 games here this year! Several times last night Gonchar ducked out of a corner to avoid a hit and he conceded the puck to the opposition (I cringe everytime I see that); he and Karlsson were creditted with one hit each (generous). The Norris Trophy candidate Kuba, had but one hit. The behemoth Cowen had 2. The reality is, opposition forwards feel free to free wheel inside the Sens blueline. This wont work in the playoffs.

Smith won 62% of his face-offs last night but all we heard from Potvin was how well Obrien was doing! Smith also had 3 hits whereas Obrien didn’t even have one and he aint there to score goals is he? Smith also has 15 goals this year so why wouldn’t he play in the middle with Neil and Foligno and put the all the bums on the 4th line?

Is there some momentum building to fire Lord Burke? Suddenly, after Simmons came out, McGowan and some others are brave enough to ask the question: so what has he done in 4 years? There really is no discussion necessary. The Leafs are terrible and it is time for the organization to do something. I never liked Wilson but the fact is, what could he have done with a bad team? I would go so far as to say the Miracle Worker Carlyle has faired even worse! Compicated Systems, Structure, Accountablilty my rear end! All smoke and mirrors to deflect blame away from a lousy General Manager. I look at what Lord Burke has done and I see nothing but failure. Lets forget about the truculence baloney, this was simply his enormous ego talking (he actually things the world revolves around him), he has hinted there is a “plan” and a “blueprint”. What is the “blue print”? What ever it may be, it shouldn’t include Ashton Carter. After 10 games, the “Future” has no goals, no assists and is -4! There is also very little on the farm. Look at the players Burke brought on board and ask yourself if they represent the future: Phaneuf (-8), Connolly (-10), Liles (- 11), Lombardi (-15), Steckel
    (-14), Armstrong (-4). Interestingly enough, Kadri who for some reason is in the doghouse, has 6 points and is + 3 yet he stays in the manures). The team is very soft and they simply rolled over and assumed the position when they faced the Bruins. And what about the goalie tandem; are they going to be there next year? I wouldn’t think so in spite of all the hype, they aren’t very good. It is totally unfair to put any blame on Kessel. He never was, nor will he ever be physical. Kessle is a pure sniper who has played a lot with a 3rd line center. The shape shifting Burke is running out of looks and he hasn’t got a coach to blame his failures on.

At and near the beginning of this season, I compared the Leaf’s and Senator’s rosters and I predicted that the Sen’s would finish ahead of the Leaf’s in the standings. Sorry I don’t have a video as proof ala Bobby’s hero, Don Cherry. The Leaf’s basically have Kessel, and not much else. I’d still prefer Seguin and Dougie Hamilton over Kessel though.

Bobby, I agree. Having O’Brien as the second line centre makes no sense. It definitely should have been Smith. I’m glad to see that you’re finally off your high horse.

Bruce, what’s the latest on getting rid of the moderation? (except of course profanity)

I needed a lot of help getting off my horse Mikey! I wasn’t expecting the beat down! I am still licking my wounds.