My 2012-13 Short Season Picks

- January 19th, 2013

I won’t remind anyone at this time that I am the only person on the planet to pick the Senators to make the playoffs last year. Oh, sorry, I guess I just did.
At 2:45 p.m, on Saturday Jan. 19, here’s my predictions for what should be a very entertaining 48 game schedule.

Eastern Conference

12. Detroit Red Wings
13. Columbus Blue Jackets
14. Anaheim Ducks
15. Phoenix Coyotes

Can I post?

2. Pav says:

Good win. Sens looked bad in the first. Rust? Anderson played well after that weak goal. Good game. 47 to go.

Yes Bruce I owe the world. Name the time and place mate.

3. Daniel Murphy says:

It was indeed a good solid win. I am not sure I would want to be a Jet fan after watching their performance. I think it will be a very long season for Winnipeg. Home teams sure took a kicking yesterday, e.g. Montreal, LA, Winnipeg, Vancouver etc… Florida might not be a cake walk on Monday based on their drubbing of Carollna.

Dave, post away my friends…post away!

The Sens did look bad in the first but got much better in the 2nd and 3rd. Gonchar and Philips are showing their age. Karlie was an offensive marvel. Anderson was outstanding. Sly needs to expect a pass from Spezza coming his way at anytime.

Dan, the Peg played awful and were not physical at all. Glen Healey is a pill isn’t he.

The 20 year old rookie, Tarasenko, scored two goals his first game in the NHL and both were highlight reels (but the Murrays prefered Rund’sbad).

I don’t understand…why can’t I post what I am trying to post? There is no curse words, weird punctuation, etc…it doesn’t make sense…

BTW, I ended up having the pleasure of sitting beside Blair Mackasey (some of you would know him by name as he was with Hockey Canada for a while back in the day but he is now the Director of Player Personnel for the Wild) on my way from Minnesota to Chicago this past Thursday – unfortunately for him we had about a 40 minute delay after we boarded as well – and we talked hockey almost the entire time.

He was very engaging and at least on the outside didn’t mind talking about hockey and answering some of my questions with candor and some thought. We talked about:

Here we go gents…hoping for a good game…really excited to see how the team gels and how the new faces perform…lots to be interested about this season!

- prospects (he thinks Seth Jones will go #1 over Mackinnon)
    - the Burke firing (there is a lot of personal turmoil going on – we know of his dalliances but I guess one of the rumours is true and he has been hitting the bottle pretty hard for the last while – he thinks the firing might be at a good time for Burke if not completely stupid from the hockey sense)
    - Lehner >> thinks he will be a star and could be a star this year
    - Zibby >> thinks he is a project and we need to be patient but he thinks we could have done better
    - the lockout (some of the player demands were crazy >> everyone gets their own room, bigger towels in the visiting locker rooms)
    - think Fehr would have let the players sit for 2 or 3 years and it was the players that eventually had to push to make the deal

Forget it all right now and have to head out to shovel the steps before I settle in to watch the game…

I am up for beers too and Bruce – maybe on the road as well..since we are only in the Eastern Conference I will be in a few cities when the boys are in town.

Oh well, will see if Bruce can post it for me or something…strange.

Terribly sloppy game on both sides but Karlsson looked like he was holding the wrong end of the stick for a while there…of course that laser from the point showed he knows what he is doing (that was a laser by big Buff too!).

Liked the lines – Latendresse just missed having about 4 or 5 good chances, I am hoping it is just timing and he will get it back after a few games and thought Zack played really well too.

Regin looks a bit slower than I remember but he hasn’t played for a looong time as well – that line was effective though.

Methot is slower than I thought too but he got better as the game went on and if possible, looked like he got a bit quicker – perhaps he just needs time to adjust but he doesn’t look like he will win many races.

The Spezza line looks like they may light it up this season, they were on the puck all game and I think if Silf starts to be a little more greedy the line will be better off – he passed the puck too much and actually stalled some opportunities by not just wheeling with it and gaining the zone.

Love that we got goals early from guys we are going to need big seasons from and that the 3rd line chipped in.

Anyway, have been trying to post that I got the pleasure of sitting next to Blair Mackasey on my flight from Minny to Chicago (he is Director of Player Personnel for the Wild and was with Hockey Canada for a while) – will see if I can post some stuff about our convo later…too frustrating not having anything get posted here now

9. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

My predictions:

Out of the playoffs:

East:
    Philadelphia, Florida, Montreal
    West:
    Detroit, Columbus, Edmonton, Dallas

Stanley Cup:
    St. Louis over Boston, revenge for Orr’s goal.

Ottawa finish:
    7-11 like last year…unless a miracle 5-10 win streak occurs, in which htey finish 4-6.
    Probably not making it past the first round with the underachieving Anderson in goal.

Underachieving Anderson? Explain please.