My Round 3 picks

- May 13th, 2012

I don’t know what my record was. I think I went 2-for-4 in Round 2.

LOS ANGELES/PHOENIX: I will take Los Angeles in 6. I do think it’s going to be a tough series but it should be interesting and tight.

DEVILS/RANGERS: The Rangers have had to work pretty hard and the Devils are underrated but I do think the Rangers will find a way. New York in 6.

LA in 5. The Rangers in 7, only because of the King.

Kevin,
    Good to see you back. I agree with you on the comments at the end of columns, and especially the moderation of this blog.

Bruce and Don,
    Any progress on getting rid of or or adjusting the moderation?

If it is anything like mine Bruce, your record is very bad.

I suspect you are right and it will be a LA, NYR final and that would certainly please Bettman and the NHL brass! Afterall, it has to be their ultimate fantasy! Teams representing two of the largest American cities competing for hockey’s ultimate prize would certainly capture larger audience than any team from Canada. LA and NY separated by 3000 miles one on the west coast and the other on the east would broaden the reach and maximize exposure. Both Cities are entertainment capitals and the “stars” are already coming out in droves making hockey kool again. TV, Radio, News Print, Facebook, Twitter, Internet are all tuning into the hype and momentum/anticipation is building. CNN is even talking hockey and the ever popular Pardon the Interuption (PTI) with hosts Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser are talking hockey more than they ever had in the shows history! NY and LA writers couldn’t have written couldn’t have scripted it better.

LA in 6, NYR in 6 and ultimately (if there is a God…and he likes great movies) LA in 7 for the Stanley Cup!

BTW: who here liked Yosemite Sam? What a horses rear end. Really and truly, what is there to like about the jerk? Indeed he won a Cup with Tampa but with the players they had, even the “Little General” would have been successful! He can’t respondto any pointed questions because he can’t offer a decent answer. Without Lundquist, his team (the way he coaches) would be God awful. Is that a great coaching strategy? I am surprised a player has hit the foul mouthed fool. He treats the media with disdain for simply doing their job. I would love to have the opportunity to joust with the little snot. He, like Lord Burke believes that intimidation is the best way to “manage” the media and if that doesn’t work he resorts to profanity. If that strategy fails, he simply bolts. As a someone who has sold the federal government for many years, I have always believed that you are the face of the company as such, should represent your employer with distinction and behave accordingly. Do you think that is what Yosemite Sam is doing? Do you think MSG brass even care? What does Bettman and company think about his behaviour? I suspect, much like the the fictional world of Movies and Television, Yosemite Sam’s contrived actions makes good copy and like many of the so called reality shows that promote bad behaviour, is rewarded! It is sad really but isn’t that the way of the world?

3. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

Bobby, you are hiarious with this Tortorella vendetta. Would you prefer Bryan Murray and his pithy takes, a GM that was booed by the fanbase not more than two years ago and he sloughed it off as being a ball team from Quion or that his team doesn’t block shots because the other team blocked shots? Oops how did that work out for us here?

Again, I could care less what professional athletes think…as long as they win. When they lose I expect to hear excuses and contrition and accountability. That’s it and that’s all.

4. ChokerHater says:

I’d love to see Torts rip Bruce
    hahahahaha
    hey Bruce, are you covering the Rangers series,
    can you offer him up some sucker-ball questions
    so he can rip you?
    Truthully, I think most of the media is afraid of him

Pierre, there is no vendetta, I am simply stating I think he is a crass, silly, incompetent fool. No vendetta. Who I would prefer to coach is not even relevant. Murray has a .500 record in the NHL and I don’t care about him, he doesn’t coach anymore so the discussion is irrelevant. At least Bryan has shown some class. I do not respect anything that Yosemite Sam does or stands for. Why treat the media with venom? They have jobs to do just like he does. What is wrong with asking a question?

I don’t care what hockey players think/say either but there are millions who do and guys like Don and Bruce are only two of many who make a living in part by asking questions and capturing responses from players, coaches, GMs and owners. I will ask you (and you may have responded to the question somewhere elso) what is it that you like about Yosemite Sam? I must be getting old but regardless how old I get, class and treating people with respect and dignity for me will never go out of style. I do not reward bad behaviour no matter how fashionable it may be. From what I have witnessed and I have stated it often recently, I do not recognize anything in Yosemite Sam’s coaching that can be described as skillful. Even if he had a good goalie as opposed to an outstanding goalie, the team would not be where they are. Relying on the brilliance of Lundquist game after game all year, every year, is not great coaching.

Pierre, Choke (welcome back) and all the other Yosemite Sam lovers, did you like what you saw last night? If I was playing for him and he poked me in the back (like he did and does with some), I would have a few words with him. I would love to be a member of the media for a single day and have the opportunity to joust with the Papa Smurphian fool. Did you guys see the look on some of the Ranger faces last night? Some of the ex-players between the periods softly danced around the issue of Yosemite Sam’s mouth. Noting is worse than a yapper and at some point if you are stuck (as a player) you simply tune out. It was comical to hear Yosemite Sam suggesting Deboer “shut up” earlier this year.

It is funny how some things gather momentum and people blindly jump on board in support. That is the only way I can explain Yosemitie Sam’s popularity (well that and the new culture of anger/hate; afterall it is now fashionable). What’s monumentally absurd is the fact that the Papa Smurphian Yosemite Sam is actually nominated for Coach of the Year! Can you imagine? What is the criteria for Coach of the Year? Could it be for being a foul mouthed reprobate? Perhaps it is reserved for Coaches who are blessed with amazing goal tenders who bail their team out night after night. I see the Rangers powerplay was, again last night, useless. Perhaps that is one of the criteria for Coach of the Year. Maybe it has something to do with having a lot of talented players yet scoring a very low number of goals night after night? Most of the scoring chances belonged to the Devils last night, maybe that is one of the reasons why Yosemite Sam is nominated for coach of the Year afterall, that is the game his team plays! The game was largely played in the Ranger’s end of the rink and their defenceman had to block 26 shots (15 for New Jersey), could this be a coaching attribute? Personally, I don’t think so but obviously many do. I don’t know how or why Coaches get recognized for excellence in the NHL; perhaps it too is fixed to suit a hidden agenda (is Harper involved???). If finishing first has any part in the decision making shouldn’t the President’s Trophy winning team’s Coach be selected and hands down winner every year?

Can you imagine, someone who may be distinguished for excellence as a coach in the best league in the world will not be selected to coach is Countries team in the upcoming Olympics. And don’t believe what you read, the decision has nothing to do with his vulgarity (is that a good word?).

It’s interesting that Yzerman (who was mentored by Nill and Holland), was selected to be the lead for Canada’s entry in the next Olympics and he asked Holland to be a member of his executive team. Only recently are some finally conceding these teams that will play on the large ice surface need to be younger, faster and more skilled. Shocker. Will Mr. Happy again ask Joe Sakic to play? More room on the ice favors the skilled (not rocket science Stevey).

Bobby,
    You can say what you want about Tortorella, but he must generate interest, because everyone on here is talking about him. He also has a Stanley Cup. You may say that anyone could have coached Tampa to a cup with the team that he had, but how many very good Senator’s teams failed to win the cup with what ever coach they had pulling the strings. Finishing the job is finishing the job.

Mikey, generating interest was never in question; I concede, people love loud, foul mouthed, crass, jerks (mount-Rush-more Limbaugh anyone?).

So, Mikey, what is it about Yosemite Sam’s coaching that you like?

Mike Keanan won a cup with New York and anyone could have won with that team. He’s had stints with many teams since was another loudmouthed brow beating jerk, but, he has a Ring on his finger. He wore out his welcome wherever he went. Al Macneil won a cup with Montreal and again, anyone could have coached the Canadiens and won a Stanley Cup in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Paul Maurice won a cup with Carolina and since then he has been fired 3 times, twice by the same team! Unlike Pierre, I do not subscribe to the notion that if you are member of a Championship Winning NHL team you are forever a Winner and if you did not, you are not. Pierre has called Kovalev a winner and I think the absolute opposite. Yosemite winning a Cup in Tampa does not make him a Champ or a good coach. Ottawa has had some unbeleivable hockey teams and should have won at the very least one Cup but didn’t because they either had a chooch as GM or Coach or both. Martin had the best team in the NHL but his singular focus on defence and the GM’s inability to secure great goaltending and make the team tougher assured failure. When Tie Dummy, Darcehole Tucker, Father Time Roberts, Traphesty Green, intimidates a team to the point of paralyzation, there is something drastically wrong. I can still see the lousy goals scored on Lalime.

Bryan Murray coached the best team in hockey in ’07 even though he didn’t coach a team in 7 years before that and he a less than stellar .500 record in his gazillion games (obviously, he didn’t come to Ottawa to coach). In his infinite wisdom, he didn’t dress Brian McGratton for a single game in the Stanley Cup finals. Mcgratton and Neal wore the family jewels for the Senators without both of them, some on the team swapped their he-maglobins for she-maglobins. Once Macammond was felled by Pronger, the series was all but over. Anaheim dressed: Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Beauchemin, Ryan, Konitz, Thornton, May and of course, their heavy weight, ‘Stache. Ottawa fought back with Chris Neil. Has anyone ever asked Murray why Mcgratton didn’t dress? I know the answer to that, know they didn’t. Even if he didn’t get on the ice for a single shift, him sitting on the bench made the team emotionally more secure and therefor, better. All the man-ginas would have disappeared. Ottawa was totally intimidated. There is not doubt in my mind that team would have won with Mcgratton dressing and, they had some real tough boys in the manures they could have dressed. Murray didn’t bother to check on the curfews either; Emery was out, like Radulov and Kostitsin, “partying” ’till da wee hours. Nice.

Indeed Mikey, finishing the job is finishing the job. But, what did Yosemite Sam do then and what is he doing now? What do you like about his…

The funniest thing about this topic is Bobby waxing poetic about class and treating people with respect and dignity all the while rhyming off his names for people…in general his posts show no respect for most people in the Ottawa organization (except the perfect, soft player Spezza – he had 84 points! and Z. Smith)

Hilarious actually.

Oh ya, hard to take you seriously when you rip on York for bringing up his hockey days too…not the first time you have brought up your career…

My career Dave? Now that’s funny. Like you, I played hockey for recreation only. But, in my professional business career, I made an effort to treat people with respect and dignity. As a lame brain, two bit blogger, must I follow the same rules? If anything Dave, I suggested I was a bum but give credit to the outstanding coaches. I don’t give respect jerks. I have often suggested the Murrays are great people, but I do not like Bryan as a Coach or GM. Often I say that the ham and eggers on the Sens are in all likelyhood great people, just lousy hockey players relative to NHL level. Name calling is a joke and again, I need to remind you, this is afterall a blog.

Yorkie played in the show but, rather than give us some insite, he like PasdeVin (mais beaucoup do bierre) just celebrates all things Sens: players, decisions, everything is “outstanding”. I know Yorkie played in the NHL so he doesn’t need to remind everyone in every article but he should share some stories! He must have many. I have many unbelievable stories but no one would give a damn.

What ticked you off Dave; you went from reasonable to attack mode, why? Because it might have made sense to suggest Soft Panzy Spezza outperformed your King and God? The soft Spaz carried the hockey club when God was hurt and missed the last 17 games of 2011. Is it the notion that he equalled his career’s best (34 goals) playing with one of your faves Butler who got Butlered all year long? That he led the team again in scoring playing all year with 3rd and 4th line right wingers? Could it be that his line was plus 6 playing with 2 who never played in the NHL before for 3 games in the post season? Perhaps it is because I pointed out that Karlie did diddy the last 5 weeks of the year, didn’t get a single assist in the 7 game series, was God awful on the PP, wouldn’t skate with the puck for fear of being hit, coughed it up when pressured, dove like a soccer player faking injurie and looking to referees for the calls that didn’t come, never killed a penalty but sucked face with Lundquist when the game ended. His single point on a fluke goal had to be better than Spezza’s meaningless 5 points in 7 games. Right Dave? Perbaps it is the reality that Spezza was plus 3 and Karlie was what, 0 and God minus 3 in only 4 games. You are like Yorkie and Pas du Vin, you endorse everything. You endorsed Kelly leaving and you will support his return. You loved Rund’sbad but I don’t see him playing for Phoenix, why? It may come as a surprise but I don’t look for validation here Dave. Perhaps you do and if that is true, it’s just sad. I just want to introduce some issues, offer my opinions, ask some question and hope for answers I know will never come. How dare I, in spite of my brilliant career, challenge decisions made that do not put the team in the best position to win games! I slam myself far more than I do anyone else. I don’t take mysefl too seriously Dave, neither should you or anyone else.

You are right Bobby, I shouldn’t have attacked you and I won’t do it again.

You have have your beliefs and as strange as I find them (because I think you contradict your own points when you try to support Spezza VS Karlsson) they are yours to have.

The stats you list are meaningless to me because you only look at stats from one perspective – the glorification of Spezza.

I would still go golfing but I am done with discussions on Karlsson or Spezza – you have one less person to oppose your view on this forum even though I am sure I will disagree with just about everything you write. You can also believe whatever you want about me being mindless and a lemming, it doesn’t matter at all.

Kings look great and so nice to see a big skilled forward realize they can be physical and want to have an impact on the game.

Davey, did I call you a mindless lemming? I did call the many who went out and bought the “Praise Alfie” jerseys lemmings. I think those who blindly take “The Organiation’s” leed and deify/cannonize and make a “hero” out of a hockey player are lemmings. It is my opinion that those who called God, Ottawa’s best forward in the post season, lemmings. I referred to the many who booed Spezza mindless lemmings. And lets be honest Dave, leaders are very fortunate that most men/women are lemmings!

This is a blog and we share opinions and that is all. If Spezza equalling his best goal scoring year playing with a bum on the right side is convenient statistic so be it. If him leading the team in scoring again this year with Bulter, Condra, Greening as his right winger all year, is convenient, so be it. If him leading the Sens in scoring in the post season registering 5 pts in 7 games (playing 3 of them with first timers) and again leading the team with a plus 3 is convenient to paint Spezza in a better light, so be it. If Karlsson’s one point in 7 games and zero assists is convenient to serve my point of view, so be it. If God’s 2 points in 4 games and team leading minus 3 does the same, again, I am sorry but it it simply fact.

“Kings look great and so nice to see a big skilled forward realize they can be physical and want to have an impact on the game”. No doubt about it Dave but is this a less than subtle shot at Rocco? There have been many big skilled men who never use their size and were very successful. I wouldn’t refer to Mario Lemieux as a phyiscial guy, would you?

13. Dennis_w says:

Bobby,

I don’t understand. How can someone be a “mindless lemming and a “voice of reason” at the same time? I guess it’s the same (il)logic that has you constantly  point out that Karlsson is on the ice for the most goals against without taking into account his impressive plus/minus (which would mean he’s also on the ice for many more goals for) and his team-high ice-time against the other team’s top players.

Never mind.

I’ll never understand your reasoning because it’s impossible to understand. What OD keeps pointing out is that what you perceive as Karlsson’s weaknesses are exactly the same perceived weaknesses that others see in Spezza. But you refuse to open your mind form your from your black/white, right/wrong view of everything.

I disagree with both of you on Karlsson and Spezza.

Is it possible that Spezza and Karlsson actually complement each other and make each other better?  What do you think each of them has to say about playing with the other?

For me it’s a win-win with two extremely skilled players helping each other (you should see the stats when they’re on the ice together) and making the team better, which is what I care about the most.

Pierre can make some points that I agree with and on one ocassion, I referred to him supporting me as “the voice of reason”. However, he is not always the voice of reason. I love to hear from him anyway. Indeed Dennis, he is on the ice for many goals; if I haven’t supported that fact I was remiss but, I think I have said it often. What you may have missed however is me suggesting he is not what I like to see in a defenceman; hence, I call him an offenceman. Go back and re-read some of my posts, I have documented his short commings ad nausium. Whereas you think his absence the last 5 weeks of the year was acceptable, I do not. You think his single point in the post season on a fluke goal and no assists was also acceptable. You have said that God was Ottawa’s best player because he had 2 points in 4 games and a bloated -3 which led the team. You must believe his lines aggregate of -6 to the Rocco line’s +6 is great…right?

Doesn’t it concern you that a kid should be caught out of position many times a game? Don’t you find it disgusting that he embellishes a hit, goes down for the count, grimaces/winces in pain trying to solicit a penalty but never misses a shift? I am sorry, but where I come from (Canada) that is frowned upon. Spezza scored points with everybody he has played with. Certainly Karlsson and Spezza compliment eachother but far more in Karlie’s favor. When asked why he has been so successful this year he answered by suggesting: “I give the puck to Jason as quickly and as often as I can.

He is a dandy little hockey player but he will always be MIA in tough games, usually in the last 4 weeks of the regular season and he will be invisible in the playoffs. I have no respect for players who defy the laws of physics and gravity with their athleticism avoiding corners. Nor do I have respect for defencemen who stand around allow the opposition to own the crease. I favor leading a rush with a lot of speed. I like quarterbacks on the power play to dance around, move the puck deep and back out, drawing the opposition to free others (you know, use the extra man on the ice!!!!!!). Simply blasting the puck is mindless and didn’t work for the longes time late this year. I also don’t like his smiling mug when a team mate takes care of business for him and, I like Canadians who want to win and go far in the post season. Swapping spit with a countryman with and ear to ear smile smacked of relief.

Dennsi I agreed completely.

I do like Spezza and defend him all the time to most people but I can’t help but point out his shortcomings on here to make the point (as you noted) that he and Karlsson are quite similar in many ways.

You are right, they are both elite and both do a ton to help the Sens win.

Bobby, you do realize that Spezza only had 6 more points than Karlsson in the regular season? Karlsson also had his highest goal output and led all D in goals, assists (he even had more than Spezza) and points by a huge margin. What magnificent players did Karlsson play with to help him get all those points? Your stats don’t prove anything negative about Karlsson…especially with the terrible 5 weeks Karlsson apparently had to finish the season – what would you have said if Karlsson had beaten Spezza in scoring?

As for the point in the play-offs it goes like this.

1. Assist on a goal to make it 4-1 Rangers halfway through the 3rd of game 1
    2. 0 points
    3. 2nd assist on Michaleks goal
    4. 0 points
    5. 2 goals, one on nice feed from the rookie and one an empty netter when he was cheating on wrong side of the puck but Konopka made a nice play to incercept pass and send him in alone
    6. Late goal to make it 3-2
    7. 0 points

The only point of note was the one goal the rookie set him up for – all points aren’t created equal.

Also, I did go on the attack by why are you all of sudden so spiteful towards Alfie? Just because other people like him and respect him and are showing it more as he may be at the end of his career? He has done a lot of great things for the team but now you are treating him like any of your many whipping boys? You used to have good things to say about him but as more people show their appreciation it is like you take it as an insult to Spezza so you resort to your name calling…right out of the blue you are all over him.

Anyway, this is officially my last comment on Karlsson…probably not but I will hold out as long as I can…

And you didn’t actually compare Spezza to Mario did you?!?

I guess if you want to…just as good as Karlsson to Coffey or Orr…

Mario had huge impacts in big games – Spezza hasn’t.

He has a few years to go but you like to talk about Murray not winning a Cup…Spezza hasn’t won anything at any level – even the very talented WJ teams he played on couldn’t win and he was generally held back because of his inconsistent play and dangerous style.

So this, finally, is my last comment on Spezza or Karlsson – you are free to retort safe in the knowledge that nobody will refute your points.

Bobby,
    Are you saying that Karsson will never have an impact in the playoffs? Maybe Karlsson should just retire. I’m sure glad you’re not the Sen’s director of player personnel.

Dave, you are way smarter than that and please, don’t embarrass youself with nonsense. I introduced the notion that Mario was not a physical player but I suspect you knew that already. If Spezza didn’t show up for any meaningul games, how does he collect 51 points in 53 playoff games? I suspect you know that playing 3 games with kids that never played a single game in the NHL ever before couldn’t have helped him in the post season? One of those the kids, a 21 year old, was afraid to even test his skills aganist NHLer in the “preseason”!

Mario is one of favourite players of all time. He was big, talented, scored goals, got assists, had a great shot, was a wonderful passer but didn’t hit a soul. Like Spezza, Francis and many others, that wasn’t their game. But, they didn’t disappear for 5 weeks at a time and shamelessy show the world how very afraid they were/are.

I don’t believe you enoy watching Karlie squirm on the ice, writhing in pain to draw a penalty and never miss a shift. Or do you? If scoring 5 points in 7 games is not showing up, how might you describe 1 point in 7 games? What about God’s 2 points in 4 games? Lets forget about the points, how does not showing up allow Spezza to be plus 3 in the 7 post season games? Again, playing 3 games with snot green rookies (and one as scared as Karlie)? If he doesn’t show up, how does his line (in spite of the playing with 3 with kids) register a plus 6 rating? Are you suggesting that God showed up registering a gaudy minus 3?

Are late goals useless Dave? Was Spezza’s shot not a good one when he took the pass from Stone? Should he not have assisted on the two goals by Michalek? Should Spezza have scored more goals playing with Stone? Did he get any good passes from your fave Silfverberg? Should he have scored more goals with him on the right side? Honestly, what was expected from him the last 3 games of the series with Stone and Silfverberg?

Karlsson is talented, no question. He is blessed with speed and skill. But as God will say, he plays a one dimensional game, all offense all the time. He jumps into the play (when he knows he wont get hit). What a luxury; he can go anywhere, at any time, all the time with zero concern for defence. He plays 25 minutes a game and often the full 2 minutes on the PP. How could he not score points!

You Dave are like the overwhelming majority of hockey fans and love the guy. I say great; you are like my brothers, son and the rest of the family. I cannot respect a ‘defenceman’ who will not do the things I have identified all too often. It makes me ill to see him smiling on the bench when a team member takes care of his busness. I am disgusted by his soccer player diving and writhing. I truly believe he doesn’t possess the passion to do what must be done and the sacrifices that must be make to go far in the playoffs. Watching his “celebration” after losing to the Rangers revealed much. We will have this discussion this time next…

No Mikey, I was never a Strength and Conditioning Coach and as such, I don’t possess the requisite skills to be an Assistant Coach on the bench or Director of Player Personel (for the Ottawa Senators).

Let me ask you Mikey, did you like what you saw from Karlie in the last 4-5 weeks of this year. In particular, did you see any passion in his play in the series versus the Rangers? Did you see how happy he was and his “celebration” when the team lost the 7th game? Did you see the game Sweden played and lost yesterday? If not, you missed Karlie playing the same way he did here in the post season. He never took it out of 2nd gear and he was completey invisible. But, what makes me say he will never be an impact player in the playoffs is his effort level to compete inside his own blueline. I believe a defenceman’s creed is to never let the opposition behind you; Karlie allows that to happen many times, every single game but, what really bugs me is his standing around and allowing the opposition to repeatedly get scoring opportunities. He was guilty of that again yesterday allowing a 40 year old to score. There was no effort what so ever. He, very simply, is a liability in his own end of the rink and again a non factor in a tough/important game. He played for a big, fast and talented hockey club and got his points against easy teams. His plus 3 was bettered by a real defenceman Kronwall who was plus 5. The Canadian’s D had players like: Phaneuf +8, Keith +9 and Boumeester +7.

Karlsson shouldn’t just retire and his lack of defence is not entirely his fault. He is told to play the way he does; he is an “offenseman”. But, what is entirely his fault is his lack of passion to compete inside his end of the rink. That, is entirely on him (that and of course,his pitiful squirming around on the ice like a soccer player on the pitch).

You are right Bobby – keep bringing the wisdom and educate us poor wretches.

Picking 5 weeks out of a season to determine a players worth is the right way to go. Picking some stats from one 7 games series clearly shows and will determine a players worth now and into the future.

If only God had retired already, we wouldn’t have been required to put up with his 27 goals and 59 points. Can’t wait until he is gone.

You made me laugh out loud again too! Embarrass myself on here…ha, ha, ha…oh you crazy pot!

I try Davey…I try. You can go around and chant “hari Alfie” for hours and days all you want; hell, knock yourself out baby. I say, great! You will forgive me for not joining you and the mindless hords of other crazed followers though, wont you (which reminds me, please let me know when you might be attending a game when I go, I don’t want to sit near you in case a vendor should chant “peanuts”).

Who said God should have retired? Can you reference when and where I may have said it? Again, your penchant for distorting to truth gives you away. I have often praised, Praise Alfi; my only objection was/is to the supersaturation and the canonization of a priviledged, gaudy rich hockey player. He may be your idea of a hero and God but he certainly isn’t mine. It is sad that you resort to invention to support a paralaxed point of view. But again, I am happy for ya.

Predictably Dave, you miss the most important point on the Karlie file. The last five weeks of the season is the most important and, like every year, the most difficult; where was Karlie? The team played 82 games so that they could participate in the playoffs and that is when the King abandoned his country. To you and many others, that was completely acceptable (which begs the question, what is unacceptable). Witness how a real a real hockey player and defenceman plays the game; watch Drew Doughty for the LA Kings. Identify for everyone here who the soft, fragile, scared, pretenders are in the final 4 are? I will answer that question for you Davey-boy, there aren’t any. Everone of them will go into the corners, hit people, block shots, cover the net with intensity and every one of them know how to skate backwards. I guess you didn’t watch the Sweden game yesterday (PVR…it is great). If you had, you would have seen Karlie…maybe you wouldn’t have…again, he was invisible. Peter Nedved didn’t see him either.

You really should be more secure Dave. You are right about one thing, you are do embarrass yourself and it is a shame because I think…no, I know you are better than that!

Bobby if you really want to escalate this thing I am game…

You have said a few times that Alfie should retire and that is a fact but as usual your ramblings take you from one extreme to another so I don’t doubt that you are incapable of recalling what you have said.

I guess you don’t recall calling out Doughty early this season either? You certainly didn’t think he was the best (er sorry, SECOND best player) in the NHL a few months ago but now he is the cats meow.

The most painful thing in engaging you at all is that you are just a brick wall, except more dense. Karlsson had 6 points in 6 games during his first play-offs a couple of years ago – so was he amazing then?

Who said that the final 5 weeks are the toughest? The media? I thought you didn’t listen to any media because only lemmings listen to them? There are a handful of teams looking to make the final spots, a bunch coasting because they are already in a bunch coasting because they are already out – there is no basis to believe the final 5 weeks are any harder than the first 5 weeks.

Also, you keep dodging it (because you don’t actually answer questions, you just go on the attack and name call when cornered and exposed for being an old, bitter man). So Karlsson was terrible the final 5 weeks and didn’t do anything but he STILL was top 10 in the NHL and only 6 points behind the guy that you like to compare to Mario and now Ron Francis!! (yet you won’t let one comment go from early in the season taken out of context about DaCosta having similar vision to Oates)

You love to bring up that Karlsson is soft but he outhit Spezza 2-1 in regular and post season (but you have the inside track on what a “real hit” is because you are so much smarter than everyone else).

You love to bring up +/- and throw your stat about Karlsson on the ice for the most goals against 5-on-5 but Karlsson had a better +/- than Spezza and Karlsson had more assists than the greatest player on earth.

You harp about Karlsson being soft and scared and then compare him to physical D. Hell Doughty right now is playing very good and he is physical – he was also a prodigy that went #2 overall. You like to complain about a guy that the Murray and the Sens absolutely stole in the draft @ 15 and then compare him to a #2 picked prodigy negatively like you are some soothsayer. Well newsflash Mr. Crotchety the #15 pick is up for the Norris and you can expect that to happen several more times.

You talk about players with heart, blocking shots and hitting people out of one side of your crooked mouth and then wax poetic about one of the biggest guys in the league who is as soft as they come. Someone in your brain you justify this to yourself and then act shocked and perplexed when someone brings it up.

Bobby you have embarrassment yourself on here enough for all of us. From the juvenile name calling to the extreme ramblings about media, coaches and all the poor lost soul lemmings. Hopefully…

And distorting the truth is your calling card Bobby – nobody else here puts words in peoples mouths, only you.

Your bitter little mind came up with the God chant. You and only you know what the heck you are talking about with that.

Same thing when you decide to pick up old pieces of trivia and tell whoever is disagreeing with you that:

“You loved and endorsed (insert whatever is appropriate in your head) everything that Murray has done / Having Winchester on the first line / stunting Shubert’s growth so much that no team in the NHL wants him / not letting Shannon play 20 minutes a night / ect…blah, blah, blah, etc…

You pick out points to argue and then you make up facts, picks certain small sample sizes of stats, anything and everything to try and back you up but the reality is that ONLY YOU believe in them. The rest of us just know it is impossible to have a civil debate with you because you always, always, always devolve into name calling or fall back on stats that you feel are important but nobody else does.

You are a complete hypocrite when it comes to your devotion to Spezza and the Canadian way – you use him like the standard for all to be compared to yet he has all the attributes and more of players you love to slam. There is always an excuse (who has to play with, Murray not defending him, people booing him for giving the puck away constantly, Hockey Canada ‘s agenda, etc…) But I don’t blame you for that – it is so obvious that you actually believe the nonsense you make up that you must have created some little world where the things you believe are actually true.

Spezza IS a leader. Spezza DOES play with heart. Spezza DOES do what is takes to win tough games. Spezza IS considered one of Canada’s best.

One of the reasons the Senators are out is that Spezza can’t play like Richards or Kopitar or Giroux or Malkin or Staal or any number of other players, Canadian or not, that actually play like they care and want to win and are willing to sacrifice to do it. I know your world would come tumbling down if you ever faced facts and came to terms with that but your golden boy needs to pick up his intensity a ton before he can get the respect you think he already deserves. Burrows and O’Reilly fight to get to the net and engage physically to do it – they don’t hang around the edges of the ice and hope to make some miraculous pass – they get dirty and fight to get into a scoring area.

Your boy has a long way to go and I hope he gets there because he has a ton of talent and the physical size to dominate but he never learned to compete.

Davey, Davey Davey, I never said Alfie should retire and you can go back as far as you like (we have the technology) to prove me wrong! I called out Doughty, when and why? I am totally confused and you know, that is not fair! I don’t care about Karlies 6 points I was talking about his 1 point on a fluke goal and his absence from the last 5 weeks of the season. Again, stop with the silly bugger. Who said the last 5 weeks are the toughest, me, thats who. Indeed I listen to the media but lemmings believe them and you Davey, are a member of that team.

Are off your meds Dave or, is this how you manage a situation “invention”. Now pay attention…indeed, Karlie had an outstanding year but he got his points, for the most part, when games are not as physical and are not as important. The last 5 weeks is when the games are hotly contested and we all know Karlie is ascared. You celebrate that part of his game but I favour guys like Drew Doughty who I followed in Junior and have loved since he came into the league doing all the things Karlie does, but, is a “defenceman”. I compare Rocco to Lemieux….this is how your back up mode…invention. Wax poetic this Davey, I suggested that the skilled Lemieux wasn’t a physical player either and that is where the comparison ends!

You should be reminded that I have said often I don’t like small, frail, soft, one-dimensional, scared defencemen who will not block shots, go into corners, cover players in front of their net, hit anyone, kill penalies…but like I have said often, that is just me. Karlie is a cute littel guy but you wont win with anyone like him in the post season. I don’t care who wins the Norris Trophy…hell Lundquist wone it a million times and would have had others. Yesyourassisfat won a Nobel Piece Prize and he was a terrorist, it means diddly squat top this Crotchety (how did you know about my crotchety) Old Fart!

Tell me something Davey, haven’t you supported Murray in his 5 years hear? Did you like his move to tired old men. Did he invest in Schubert by giving him icetime or did he forsake his development for Smith and Richardson? Did Daisey the Air Rifle not play on the first line? Didn’t the Citizen have a full page photo announcing it? Was he successful? Are you enamoured with his best season and 4 goals? Again, I never said Shannon should play 20 minutes a night and this might be your calling card; it is called “projections” Davey. It’s when you accuse others of the very thing you are most guilty of. I know you are better than that.

How can I be anything like you, a Lemming, but at the same time be the only one who believe’s in my point of views? Are you thinking at all about what you are saying Davey? You love Hokey Canada, don’t you Davey-boy. I have complained about many not being invited to play for Team Canada. For a Crotchety (how did you know about my crotchety?) Old Fool I have always said I wanted to see youth, speed, skill and courage….does that sound familiar at all to you Davey? As a bona-fide Lemming, you love endorse all things huh Davey? You love Bob Nicholson, Why Stevey, and the “Crew”. You endorsed Dave Cam-moron as coach of the Juniors and A/Coach here in Ottawa. You celebrated RNH gettin waxed. You think Getzlaf had a wonderful year, far better than The Spaz who played a man short while Getzlaugh was playing with Perry and Ryan. You loved Paddock, Hartsburg and Clouston. You loved Comrie, Robitaille, Lapointe, Smith, Richardson, Sutton, Stillman, Cullen, Leclaire, Emery, Bell, Gonchar, Kovalev, Kuba. You think Daisey the Air Rifle is great…and you like: The Missing Klink, Condra, OmyGod’Brien, The Dog. You loved Rund’sbad and Da-oatslike Costa. You continue to love Butler got Bultered. Now you love a guy who wouldn’t even try out his game in pre-season and did diddly squat in the WHC. You also love Zibby and he scored all of 5 goals in the very soft SEL the very same league Rund’sbad and Silfverberg dominated!!! I like Zibby too but, I think 5 goals is somewhat of a concern! Don’t you?

Perhaps you are right Davey and the Sens are out because Spezza is a bum. But as I have asked you before and I have asked many questions on this blog, if Spezza’s 5 points in 7 games was awful, what was was the Norris Trophy candidate’s 1 pt on a fluke goal in 7 games? Were you excited about his shameful diplay of fear? Do you endorse the soccer plays of cowardice and shame…I suspect you do. Did God’s 2 pts help the team? If Spezza’s plus 3 contributed to the team’s exit, did Karlie’s 0 and God’s minus 3 help the team? And again I will ask you Davey-boy, why do you think Stone and your boy Silfverberg played with Spaz and do you think it was a good idea or a bad one? Wouldn’t have made more sense to have Petersson play with Spaz and Michalek? In spite of playing 3 of the 7 games with absolute snot green rookies, Rocco and Milan’s line were plus 6 but, God’s line was minus 6. Did the minus 6 help the team win or lose Davey-boy?

You are personally offended by my comments. Please, Davey-boy, don’t take it personally. This may come as a shock but its not about you. Unlike you, I am not looking for any validation here nor do I care than some or many may think I am a Crotchety (how did you know about me crotchety) Old Fool. I don’t blame you for being a cheerleader…knock yourself out. You know, it is a OK to challenge decisions made that you think do not put the team in the best position to win. Unlike you, I can’t and wnot simply support.

27. Dennis_w says:

Let’s try to put an end to this (though I doubt it). Bobby, this is a quote from your entry on Oct. 14th, 2011 at 3:04 pm, referring to Alfredsson: “I love the way he has played in his career but it is now time to announce it is your last year.”
    You often mentioned how slow he was and constantly brought up his early season plus/minus.
    You can spin it any way you like.

Exactly Dennis, he definitely should retire but I never said, as Wee Davey suggested “he should have retired”!! I will say that again and again. And, I strongly suspect he will! I said as much during the Allstar festivities. God had an outstanding year and far exceeded my expectations. The problem I see time after time are players hanging on far too long and failing to let go. I would prefer to see them go out on a high note and with some class. Some stay on because the money is too good, but some stay because they have enormous ego and love the fan adulation. I strongly suspect God has had enough and the organization has made him an extremely wealthy man so he doesn’t need the money.

I didn’t need to spin God’s minus 3 in the post season…sorry Dennis…it is a matter of fact. You will excuse me for not donning a robe and joining Wee Davey and the mindless masses of lemmings as they they wander aimless and chant Alfie Krishna and continue their deification of a priveledged hockey player wont you?

Bobby – your last post just proved how right I am about you.

It has a little bit of everything:

- rambling commentary (pretty much the whole thing)
    - putting words in peoples mouths (saying that I love this and that when I never commented on 80% of it)
    - name calling (wouldn’t be an old man Bobby post without some kindergarten name calling)
    - useless stats (most of them – using a few games as a barometer for a career)
    - contradiction:

1. In the stats, certain ones that fit your agenda are OK but the exact same stat from another time is useless – Bobby’s rules everyone, we just play along!!!

2. Stone or Silfverberg shouldn’t have played with Spezza because they were rookies but “your guy Petersson” should have because he is a…rookie? Bobby’s rules everyone, we just play along!!!

You are the only one looking for validation with your extreme views and trying to help us poor lost souls who only form our opinions based off the media…thanks to you we have someone (seems like the only one, (amiright?) who actually knows anything about hockey. You and only you seem to bent on having the rest of the people on here see the light. Enjoy being miserable about most things; I am happy to enjoy what life brings and seeing potential – which I don’t see in you.

Dennis and the rest, including the writers. My apologies for having this devolve again – try as I might to be the mature one I have to respond to the constant criticism of everything Senators except Z. Smith (where the hell did he go after the All-Star break?) and Spezza.

I will do my level best to let the ramblings simply take up space on the web and not respond in the future.

30. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

OD99

Spezza will likely not be selected for the Olympic team. He doesn’t have the compete level to win big games and it’s proven year after year and playoff after playoff. He is the Pierre Turgeon for the 2000s and until he carries the Sentors to a Cup or a Selke I will not change my mind. All the pom-pom waving in the world will not change that in the clutch the Senators had to rely o na 40 year old Alfie to bail them out because Jason had pulled the chute, AGAIN.

You know things are bad for Jason when the best thing you can say about him is that he is “mature”. Wonder if Toews, Corsby, Dustin Brown are “mature”. Hmmm….

31. Dennis_w says:

Some of us have been there OD. It’s usually a circular argument, not based on logic or fact, the patience for which I wouldn’t have. You seem to be the only regular contributor who is a sens fan to counter the hate, so keep it up.

You win Dave. I have come to the realization you will hate all I love and love all I don’t. That is fine, but it does give away your age. Indeed, Spaz is a bum. Smith’s 15 goals isn’t nearly as good as Foligno’s (who is expected to score goals and he plays with the better players). My stats, are not mine, but, they are mined from the DB of fact not fiction my young friend. I think you are pretty smart but I suspect in an effort to seek out approval, you shamelessly stoop to this level (ignoring reality and cheerleading). I am probably wrong and…I am wrong often but I would suspect that Petersson having a decent year in Bingo would have been a better choice to play for the big club than a few of your Stars. I suspect you are enthralled with Butler’s stats (are my stats not acurate on his performance this year?). How did Rund’sbad do in the AHL (he couldn’t make an NHL team). Did Zibby score more than the 5 goals I stated earlier? Did Alfie’s 2 points and minus 3 bail out the hockey club against NYR and…if that is true, what did it bail them out from? You see, maybe I am wrong and…I am wrong often, but I suspect that a kid the Management Team described (and you have all the confidence in the world in them…why…because I don’t) as “Spezza’s right winger for the next ten years” would have been better than Silfverberg and Stone to play in the playoffs. Maybe Petersson would have done any better but, I would loved to have seen it. Petersson played in North America for a year. He played on the smaller ice surface. He played and was successful in the hard hitting physical style that is absent from the SEL. He should have been given more games during the year and certainly in the playoffs. Where as you and your lemmingbrothers blindly accept anything and everything, I will question and for some reason, that offends thee…why? I don’t look for validation here but, I do expect an inteligent exchange of ideas and perspectives, something I suspect you are incapable of. Perhaps I am the one who is wrong here. I thought this was a forum for that very thing but obviously it is not. Is this site reserved for Ottawa Senator Fan Club Members…only? Or, can those who love hockey and have a point of view post their perspective(s).

You are right Pierre…Spaz is a bum. So were many who are in the Hall of Fame but never won a Cup. I ask you again, why Getzlaugh over Spaz when he had 27 fewer points, 22 delta in plus/minus playing over 80 games with Perry and Ryan?