No discipline for Cooke

- February 14th, 2013

Matt Cooke won’t get the book thrown at him.
The Ottawa Senators will be without defenceman Erik Karlsson for the balance of the season, but the Pittsburgh Penguins fiesty winger won’t get any further discipline after his skate cut the Norris Trophy winner’s achillies tendon.
While VP of safety Brendan Shanahan took several looks at the replay of the incident Wednesday night in the second period of Ottawa’s 4-2 loss in Pittsburgh, it was decided Cooke won’t face a hearing.
There was no penalty on the play.
Shanahan spoke with Senators GM Bryan Murray and Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero before making a decision not to discuss a suspension with Cooke.
“It doesn’t surprise me. I looked at it 50 times. I understand where the fans are coming on it because it’s Cooke,” said former Columbus GM Doug MacLean, an analyst with Rogers Sportsnet Thursday morning. “I saw as a hit and pin play and a hit and pin play that went wrong.”
This won’t sit well with Ottawa fans. Cooke has a shady past and many believe if the incident wasn’t intentional, at the very least it was reckless and that’s why he should face some kind of discipline for what happened.
Karlsson returned to Ottawa with the Senators Wednesday after the game to have surgery here. He lacerated his achillies tendon. Two league executives told the Sun the normal recovery period is 4-to-6 months.
I don’t agree with this decision. I think Cooke should get something just because he’s Matt Cooke. Your thoughts?

The incident looked accidental, but in my opinion, a player is responsible for his own stick and skates. After seeing the severity of the injury, I can’t believe Cooke is escaping any punishment. Anyway, suspending a marginal player like Cooke won’t make much of a difference.

Bobby,
    Your constant criticism and repeating the same things over and over again is getting tiresome. But again, I guess I don’t have to read it.

2. Deb says:

I think that if they were reviewing a goal to decide if there had been a kicking motion or not, they would have decided there was. I would hope at the very least Cooke was given a stiff talking to, and I do think he deserved some sort of ‘reminder’ that you can’t play like that, hurt someone and then just go ‘who? me?’ I know it’s hockey, I know it can be rough, but that type of injury to an outstanding player just shouldn’t be let go unpunished.

Anyone who played the game knows this can happen Bruce and no one should get a suspension because of who they are! There have been and will be more players cut and that is just bad luck. I think Karly’s effort to avoid the boards forced Cooke to exert more levearage to pin him. With Karly putting the breaks on hard, Cooke’s body leaned back a bit which forced him to support his weight and balance on his right foot; he then had to lift his left leg to keep his balance. When he regained control, he, like every hockey player at any level tried to put his knee between Karly’s to pin him and came down innocently on his achilles tendon. The boots of yesteryear were flexible and many players would even tape the tendon guard to the leg (I preferred it loose); the rigidity of skates today doesn’t allow that. The Achilles tendon is often totally exposed. It was an innocent play and certainly wasn’t intentional and Shanahan made the only call that should have been made.

It is a huge blow and a major story but there are other topics that get ignored Bruce! How do you explain Karlsson’s single shot in 16 minutes of play? Why no take aways? Why is it he only led rushes when the team had a man advantage? Benoit carried the puck more! It was the same in Winnipeg but sandwiched between those was an outstanding effort against one of the worst teams in the league? Why? Do you support Zibanejad playing on the teams first line and first PP unit; if so, why? Does he look like a centerman to you? Is playing here best for his development; do you see his speed? What about the MVP in the SEL last year; are you impressed with him so far; if so, why? Do you like/endorse Lundin in the lineup? Should Greening sit? Do you agree with Daugavins dressing for any game? So far, Smitty has been a major disappointment; he is not playing the way he should that got him here and he and Neil chasing after Crosby is absurd. He cannot be intimidated and their nastiness never effect his play! The PP went 04 again…I wonder why?

An interesting note, Spezza in 5 games had 5 points and was plus 3. If he didn’t get hurt (and he played hurt) after 14 games he may have had 20 pts and been plus 9! Far more than Turris and the best player in the NHL. It is time to be candid and accept the reality that the team has a couple of super stars a couple of very good 3rd or 4th liners and a decent player in Turris (who I think should be a winger) and a big strong Methot and that is it.

Like here in Ottawa, Binghampton wins games primarily because the goaltender is outstanding! Where is all the young talent that Timmie and Brian promoted so vigorously? This is the second year of the “rebuild” and personally, I think the team is going backwards! Amazingly, some think he/they are doing a fine job. That really doesn’t surprise me, some are thrilled with what the youngsters have done (an aggregate of 3 goals in 23 games). Losing Spez revealed much, losing Karly reveals much more.

Mikey you are probably right, but I could say the same about you and…you wont even answer some simple questions, why? You accept anything and everything. I cannot and will not. I want and expect more. You are a Sens fan, no doubt about it but you too should expect a hell of a lot more. If this team gets you excited, than you are very fortunate.

5. Tami says:

It may have been unintentional but it was reckless and careless from a repeat offender. Anyone who can smile on the bench as someone screams in agony and hobbles off and chuckles in the post-game interview needs to look at his actions. I think he should have at least got a couple of games.

I wonder what would have happened if one of the Sens had done this to Sidney Crosby…..

6. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

It looked accidental, but Gonchar nearly beaned Cooke with a high shot earlier so who knows? He may have seen Karlsson and something snapped inside him. From the replays it looks like they both went into a corner, Cook may have lost balanced then skate went down. It’s hard to give Cooke the benefit of the doubt though.

As for Karlsson, I’m not his biggest fan but this is a massive, massive loss not only for the Ottawa Senators but for hockey in general. The whole “Erik Karlsson is the best player in the NHL” was getting a LITTLE over the top, given the team had played TEN games…TEN, and had been shutout twice, which the best player should circumvent but Erik is a very exciting player and he’s a pillar for this team! If I were Murray I would have been peepling the paint off walls with some good natured cussing.

Now things will get interesting. We’ll see if the lauded prospects in Silfverberg (only 3 points), Zibanejad (only 3 points) DaCosta (a couple points) can carry the load, because so far Silf and Zib have looked lost and the smurf DaCosta looks the best out of all of them! One thing I don’t understand is why no one jumped Cooke then and there. Alfie gets nailed by Bell and people walk away. What is it with not defending teammaets on this team?

Big game against TO Saturday. They are down their starting goaltender and a good winger, we are down our offensive catalysts. Going with 4-3 Senators in this one, in OT.

7. Mike says:

It’s impossible to judge Cooke’s intent on the play. We will probably never know if it was intentional or not. There is no doubt it’s an odd “hit-and-pin” play. We see plays like this all the time but skates stay on the ice. Why does Cooke’s foot rise and then stomp down like that? He’s looking the other way so how can he target Karlsson’s leg?

Why do player’s always seem to get seriously injured around Matt Cooke? Why is it always almost impossible to tell his true intentions on these questionable plays? How many careers has Matt Cooke ended?

It’s unfortunate Cooke wasn’t banned from the league years ago. It’s too bad the play wasn’t called down earlier when the puck hit the netting.

It is what it is. All we can do is hope Karlsson makes a full recovery and is ready to be the best player in the NHL again next year.

Hey that Mike must have created his user ID way before me.

Bobby,
    There you go again, repeating almost the same posts over & over again. You must be copying and pasting.

The Sen’s should recall Boro & Gryba for the next few games. Maybe it will breath a bit of passion into the team. What a shame about Karlsson, for the quarter of this season, he was probably the best player in the world.

9. KevinF says:

In my opinion Karlssons greatest strength probably contributed to his most unfortunate injury. His quickness and nimbleness on his skates teamed with his aversion to physicality likely cost him. Cooke knows he’s got to get on him fast and pin him aggressively before he can either skate or pass it out, this may account for his skate being raised as they met. Of course I have no more idea what goes on in Matt Cookes head, mostly a lot of static I imagine, nor do those who think Matty was trying to sever Erik’s foot. Anyhow I believe it was a rotten accident too bad he’s great to watch even though I have to watch with no volume Brown and especially Potvin are truly unlistenable. Nothing I love more than beating the Habs and Sens, but I want to do it when they have all their guns on hand.

10. JIm says:

Bruce
    Quit your whining. It has happened before and will again. The tools of the trade are dangerous.

So Mikey, how do you think Zibby and Silfverberg will do in the final 35 games? What makes you so optimistic? Why do you think Zibby plays on the first line, the first PP unit. Could it be because he scored 5 goals in the SEL last year, 4 goals in the AHL and one here with the Sens? Do you think he will get better here in Ottawa and playin in the NHL? You don’t need to dodge the questions Mikey, this is only a blog.

I totally agree with Kevin; everyone is taught to hug the boards to avoid injury. Had Karlsson simply accepted he was going to get hit (he avoids them and the puck if there is a threat) and hugged the boards this wouldn’t have happened. For anyone to think the play was anything but an unfortunate incident are allowing their allegiance to a team/player to jaundice their opinion. Indeed plays exactly like that (Mikey) happen at least a dozen times every game without injury!

If Neil wanted to fight, why wouldn’t he simply drop the gloves and fight the guy and the same thing with Smitty with Crosby. Crosby is a target every gave in every barn and he is now second in the league in scoring after getting 3 points last night!

Kevin is also right about Brown and in particular Potvin…they make me gag. Certainly Karly is exciting to watch and I will miss him…I will miss him as much as I have been missing him every time they play a tough team! It would have been very interesting to have seen how would have performed in Toronto on Saturday. I am sure it would have been very similar to the game against the Jets where he had only 3 shots and gave the puck away 3 times or the game last night when he had but one shot in 16 minutes of play.

I am trying to understand why people say he is the best player in the league; he is fabulous yes but the best? How is this measured? He may be the most entertaning but to me the best is the player who shows up every game, offers his best effort and…delivers. If the criteria is most points, there are many who have more points than Karlsson. If the yardstick is points for a defenecemen, there are 3 ahead of him. If it is not giving the puck away, he leads the league with the most give aways. If it includes blocking shots or delivering hits, he is 140th in one and 115th in the other (I am not sure which one). If it is how a player performs in the post season, after lapping the field during the regular season, Karly had but one point (on the PP) in 7 games versus the NYR last spring and was minus 4. The fact is, he was a no show! Karlsson is the very best rover in the NHL (4th fprward on a line who lines up on the back end). As much as I concede he is very exciting and marvelous talent, the best play the easy and the tough games!

12. KevinF says:

This”best player in the league”stuff is getting out of hand. He isn’t, not even close, Yorkie and failed coach Lewis might think so but come on! Backslappin boy Galley and Healy both said Erik was “great” defensively a couple of Saturdays back literally within minutes of repeated replays showing him passively watching whilst Cole deposited what was the winning goal in Montreal. Karlsson is a wonderfully gifted offensive force but as good as he is offensively he is awful in his own end if he doesnt posess the puck. If I’m drafting in the the top ten I want Erik fans picking in front of me, automatically move up 1 spot.

13. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

Bobby, you are on fire!

The media are all about spin (no offense Bruce, I value your space here and love reading you, your inquisitive articles are great as well) and not about in-depth analysis (for the most part). If they were, Sabremetrics (stats such as Quality of Competition, Goals For and Against per 60 minutes of play instead of +/- and so on) would have replaced +/- aeons ago. I hear Karlsson plays against the best but in fact he is fourth in Quality of Compeition on the team, meaning he plays sheltered minutes!

People are saying he is the best because he is flashy, takes a lot of shots and creates offense. Sure. I agree with Bobby though, if you are THE BEST you need to be THE BEST in every game. Karlsson wasn’t the best against Pittsburgh, against Winnipeg and he was ok against Buffalo. That screams inconsistency, but yokels like “Listen to me because I’m tall and Dutch” JR on Team 1200 looking astounded because Karlsson had 10 shots in a game. Guess what Raymond Bourque wired 4-5 during powerplays, another 3-5 at even strength and sometimes one or two shorthanded! And no one was calling him God on skates because he had TOUGH competitio nfor HIS Norris trophies, guys like Coffey, Mark Howe, Chelios, Leetch, Carlyle, Potvin…even Leetch could play a semi-robust game.

I will say one thing, this injury is a blessing in disguise since the Senators will be a TEAM. Their defense will function as a TEAM instead of just having Methot (who will not be captain Don, that will be Spezza’s job to lose, I’d rather have the born, bred and playerd here Ceci as Ottawa-born captain!) pass it to Karlsson. Remember how we complained the Pizza Line was easily shut down because you’d pressure Heatley or Spezza and then you had “only” worry about Alfredsson? Well…it’s the same thing. Instead of Heatley we have Karlsson; teams are converging on it, poke-checking away his passes and blocking shots. The points are down so he shoots the puck, but he has a wind-up longer than an Eric Clapton guitar bridge. ;Teams see him shoot they block his shots. Yes he has five goals but the team might have had six or seven had he passed it more actively.

Anyway, I do hope Murray won’t trade much if we are a bubble team, just play it out.

Oh Bobby, I asked on a blog why Silf having a pace of 30 points (same with Zib) was going under the radar and not a cause for concern and was told they are young. I guess the team will have to deal with the SEL Wunderkinds being 30-45 point guys and Spezza’s back, already broken, will have to carry more deadweight on his line! That is until the next SEL champ comes along and takes another 5-6 years of learning our game…

Good luck in Toronto and don’t let Steve Simmons stick you with the bar tab Bruce!

14. Pav says:

Bruce, I think it was an accident. But hey its Cooke, so who really knows right?

Maybe Grant in Bingo will never be an NHLer, but there are others playing with the Sens who aren’t. When Hoffman is healthy, I would love to see how he would do with the big club; he should be given more than a single game like last year! Certainly he can do better than the Dog and his 0,0,0 and minus 6 in 7 games!

Everytime Eugene opens his mouth he embarrasses himself. His rant yesterday revealed that one can be very rich and dumb as spit at the same time. I never heard other owners go “stupid” when their players suffered the same injury (Selanne, Bieksa, Macammond and others). The only intentional kickers I ever witnessed were the Russians in the early years and Ken Linseman lacerating an Ottawa 67s face with Bekham-like kicks!

I do understand that fans love the kid, whats not to love, he is extremely humble, pleasant with the media and an outstanding talent but they and Gene must temper their insanity, calom down and watch for similar plays that happen every game that do not end in injury. Didn’t Cooke made a conscious effort to change his game last year and he was successful! He was ciriticized primarily for late hits and targetting the head, not cutting players open! I believe he had all of 28 minutes in penalties last year.

The story makes for good copy, grabs people’s attention, stirs the pot and incites the legions of Sens fans and…sadly…it makes some dumbies even dumber!

Bobby,
    I’ve answered your question several times about Zibby and Silferberg. They’re both rookies and just because they both may have been hyped too much, it doesn’t mean that they should be written off as prospects. I believe we won’t know what we have regarding them for at least a season or two. How you can totally give up on a 19 and 22 year old is hard to understand. When you simply write off almost every prospect that comes along, of course you will be right some of the time.

17. hkyfan says:

Moments before the pin and play by Cooke he tried unsuccessfully to slew foot Karlsson. Which is one of the dirtiest plays you can do, in my humble opinion. Then when that didn’t work, Cooke does the pin and play move. To suggest that he deliberately intended to cut Karlsson’s tendon give him way too much credit for quick thinking. But it does look like he added something extra with the foot that was bent and the downward motion. It is lIke an extra push or shove during a check. That something extra was dangerous and reckless and for that he should have had the book thrown at him. Especially given his history, this totally fits the pattern and shows he has not been ‘reformed’. He still is a gutless hockey player with absolutely no honor.

18. Bill says:

Intentional or what!! Who was looking at the replay?? If I lift my skate and stomp….its on purpose!!

19. Commonsenseman says:

It was a accidental injury on a play that happens a dozen times a game. Shouldn’t the injured player accept some of the responsibility as he was not wearing readily available equipment that would have prevented this injury.

20. Dennis_w says:

Kevin

Nice to see you back after promising to never come back. I know that you were never a Karlsson fan, but he was picked 15th, not in the top 10, and much later than the 5th pick (Schenn) which I’m sure you fully endorsed, just as you have all things leafs. I’m sure you even thought Schenn would win a Norris, not the wasted 15th pick.

As I’ve said before, you have some good insight, but it rings hollow when you endorse all things leafs. Glass houses.

How did Burke’s “quick rebuild” work out? You were pretty optimistic at one time. You remind of Charlie Brown, with mlse being Peppermint Patty. You always think this is the time I’ll kick that football. And mlse laughs all the way to the bank.

21. Dennis_w says:

Bobby

No point in getting into dialogue with you. You only hear what you want to. I’ve never endorsed everything Murray has done, as I’ve said many times. But you’ve never understood that most people make mistakes and also get some things right.

That’s not just Murray. I’ve also liked some of Burke’s moves too and other GMs.

But you’ve never understood that kind of thinking. Players, coaches, GMs are either good or bad with you; and they stay that way after you’ve made your snap judgement.

22. Gerry says:

The Sens this year are missing deterrents like Carkner and Konopka. In the old days no one would try anything funny on skill players like Gretzky at the risk of the consequences. Even last season, Carkner took care of business during the Rangers playoff series. There’s only so much someone like Chris Neil can do in this area. I wonder if Matt Cooke would have been as careless if he had to answer to Carkner!

23. KevinF says:

Never promised anything Dennis just come and go as I please but thanks for the welcome I guess. If you want to provide me with a email ill ask you for permission to post if you like dont care who posts what personally i dont have to read what i choose not to.I didn’t heartily endorse the Schenn pick simply because I didn’t see him play much before the draft I actually wanted them to take Tyler Myers but I’m no expert. I Try not to pass judgement on players till i have personally seen a body of their work (see Runblad David alleged best player outside the NHL not so long ago) The Sens and their always obliging hometown media see to be especially guilty of this phenomenon f overhypeDefenseman who are actually asked to play defense traditionally take longer to develop I wouldn’t tag Schenn as a bust just yet. I could list the times that I have been critical of the Leafs and defended non leafs but as always you will just ignore that to fit your argument. Not going to bother running through that crappola again.Too bad sometimes you used to be fun to go back and forth with

Whatever you say Dennis. I am surprised though, I did expect you would at the very least you would tell me what you might be satisfy you in regards to what /Silfverberg and Zibby would do in the last 45 games….but you did not.

Like Mikey, I can only assume anything they do is good. As for Mikey continuing with the wrtitng off theme, although it sounds cute, I have never written them off. I have only said that it is absurd that…and pay close attention because obviously my repetition doesn’t register, ibby is A) playing in the NHL after doing diddly the last two years; it is insane he plays on either the 1st or 2nd line, that he plays center and on the first PP unit (sound familiar). I have also said I like the kid but that he should be in the manures to DEVELOP (is that writing him off?).

In spite of all the crazy hype he is just a journeyman regardless of his age. I have always looked at young kids to see signs of greatness to come, I see nothing from him save his willingess to get involved. He has certainly been given every opportunity! As for Sly, again another who the Murray’s launched a major promotion campaign, he has 2 goals in 13 games and like Zibby, I have not seen him deke around a soul but he does possess a great shot, much like Butler did but he wasn’t successful either. But, I am wrting them off.

You are a great fan Dennis just lke MIkey is…but you turn a blind eye to all the nonsense. If you don’t like candor, I suggest you start a blog for the cheer leaders who are offended by facts (BTW: what did I invent again?)>

25. KevinF says:

The quick rebuild was a smokescreen. The veteran free agent signings awful but al where short term, except for, Komi, the leaf organization is in much better shape now then when Burke took over. In hindsight the Kessel trade hurt and while I felt from the outset that the price was too high, i would have done one first and a second,but nobody was picking that team to finish 2 nd worst overall. Kessel is a fine sniper as the Sens know better than anyone, not his fault that too much was exchanged for him. The team had been tough demanding and patient with prospects, the Marlies have a respected teaching coach who seems to be doing wonders with the youth. Kadri being the prime of many examples. Leaf haters were taking delight with Kadri situation, but he now appears to be a impact NHLer, they refused to grant him first line or even first callup status until he earned it, Anybody come to mind locally recently?
    On many nights the Leafs are the youngest team in the league (no one even close to 35 much less 40) not sure but I think the so called failed quick rebuild may yet turn out to be superior to the great Faux Murray rebuild that netted him a contract extension

I am really pulling for the call-ups to have good games although it is a tough situation; DD will be called upon to provide some additional muscle and 4th line minutes. Gyrba will be his physical self and drop the gloves if/when called for and Grant can offer some offense (certainly as much as Karly, Zibanejad, Smith, Dog, etc.). I know Bruce suggests the team is short handed but to me, it is only because of Spez and Karly being out. Greening will sit because he is awful and it is about time don’t you think!?. Michalek is hurt but he has only scored 2 goals this year. Cowen has been out all year and Methot is very capable. Latendresse was doing absolutely diddly squat! Indeed he was a liability. It is too bad Hoffman is still injured, he (or even a pail of frozen pucks) could replace Daugavins and his -6 in 7 games!

The tone of the game will be set in the forst 5 minutes and it is possible it could be ugly. If it gets ugly, I wonder how Da Costa, Lundin, and Sly will perform.

27. Dan Wahl says:

The ownership and the management of the Sens have totally embarrassed themselves with their continued whining and unprofessional outbursts towards Matt Cooke and the Pens’ organization. … And, NO, I’m not from Pittsburgh; I’m a Redwings follower. The bottom line is, these types of injuries will happen. It’s that simple. Cooke doesn’t deserve the vilification he’s getting and the calls for blood-lust from Sens fans. And he certainly doesn’t deserve the comments from the silver spoon-sucking Sens’ owner who’s currently sipping umbrella drinks from his home in Barbados and likely has still not seen the incident. I understand the organization’s emotion over the loss of a great and key player, but the risk is always there. I suppose, if Cooke had been involved in the the Clint Malarchuk incident when as a Buffalo goalie he had his throat slashed by a skate, the Sens would be calling for attempted murder charges against Cooke. The league has spoken. It was a hockey play, nothing more. Believe me, they’d have loved nothing more than to find Cooke at fault, but unlike the Sens’ management, they weren’t blinded by panic and blood-lust.

28. Dennis_w says:

Kevin,

The last i saw, I believe it was leaf ownership that was debating whether Karlsson was the best player in the league. I, unlike others agreed with being patient with Kadri. That’s my take on most players. Given that, I’m not so willing to write off Rundblad either.

Bobby,

I expect Silf and Mika to struggle in their first year in the league, and to also have their moments. Kind of what happened with Karlsson and most young players. This will even be moreso with no Spezza, Karlsson and others to draw away attention. And I would’ve preferred that 19 year-old Zibanejad wasn’t here. But I’m guessing the injuries played a part in that.

You like to write off young players very early in their careers. Check that, I believe you also said that Methot wasn’t an NHLer. It makes me wonder what you base your judgements upon.

29. Ron says:

I say it was intentional and he should be suspended for the rest of the year.

30. Ron says:

I am not a Sens fan or a Pittsburgh fan.
    He intentionally stomped him. what does that deserve?

31. KevinF says:

With a quick reread Dennis you didnt know I was refrencercing about Karlsson being talked about as the best player in hockey and not where he was drafted? Come on, you are not that dishonest to fit your point of view are you?

Isn’t it interesting that the Sens launched 34 shots on net and they did this without Karlsson (as Pierre suggested, perhaps the shooting opportunities should/could be shared). These are shots and doesn’t inlcude the many attempts!

I will take Grant and DD in the lineup any day over Greening (the way he is….playing?).

There was no mention in you are article today Bruce, about Alfredsson’s play. He looked old and slow and like Gryba, gave the puck away that allowed Totonto to score. There was no mention of his minus 2! Neither did you write about Zibanejad who again, did not get a goal, or an assist, had but one shot on goal, didn’t register a single hit and was minus 1! Is this not worthy of a line or two in the paper? You like him on the PP? If so, why? Silfverberg after 15 games has 2g and last night, again, he didn’t score a goal, get an assist, no did he register a single hit! Perhaps you don’t want to share this information because if you did, some would say you are “wrting them off” or call you a “hater”. I can assure you I wouldn’t! What we are seeing is what we are getting! Litle balzy Gallagher in Montreal had anotehr goal, his 5th!

Lundin had but a single hit and was minus 1!

I again find myself agreeing with Kevin; the rebuild is being exposed for what it truly is, faux indeed. No one wanted the kids to do better than me but I will not continue to celebrate mediocrity and failure (to live up to the hype). The only thing successful about the two (Zibby, Sly) was the promotional campaign! DaOates-like Costa in 6 games, scored a goal for a single point and is minus two (he should be the one playing on the PP! Turris is better suited as a winger (did he not score 4 goals int he first 5 games but has yet to score a goal since?). Of the young guns, the players who are the planks in the rebuild, who has impressed? The team has 7 from Bingo afterall!

Ottawa was not hurt too much by Michaleks injury; he had all of two goals. Latendresse helps the team by sitting out. Really it is only the absence of Spez and Karly that have hurt them. And they went on the big slide as soon as Spez was hurt. The PP quarterback (and best player in the league) did very little to make it work.

How fickle are the fans? How easy is it for them to buy in? When asked who should be traded overwhelmingly they chose Silfverberg over Zibby. Who hurts the team most in their absence, ovewhelmingly they say Karlsson!

It is also very important to note that Toronto ere missing two of the top players last night in Frattin and Lupol.

Dan you are so very right! I truly belive the whining has far more to do with fans ignorance than anything else. They simply do not understand the game. As for Melnyk, he should get on his hands and knees, every single day of his life and thank God he has what he as with only 2 active brain cells. Local media types should give him questions well in advance and them edit his answers!

33. Jack Curry says:

Grow a spine Ottawa . Pittsburgh had to endure a year and 1/2 without Crosby on a questionable blindside hit.
    Listen to Don Cherry take on it.
    The rest of the league is accepting it was a clear accident and all we have now on the incident… is watching you whine.

Less Whine More Spine

34. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

About Seguin/Hamilton vs. Kessel:

Tyler Seguin: 12 GP 2 G 5 A 7 PTS
    Doug Hamilton: 12 GP 1 G 5 A 6 PTS

Phil Kessel: 15 GP 2 G 9 A 11 PTS

So both Boston players have two more points than the one Toronto player. Seems like a decent trade, especially since Seguin has been taking it in the Bostom media for being soft and unproductive, here are some quotes lifted from the Telegram, all rights belong to them:
    “He denied feeling any pressure, but did admit to being a bit confused.

“I’m trying a lot of different things,” he said when asked if he was trying to be too fine. “Maybe I was a little too cute at first, but lately I’ve been putting pucks on net. I wasn’t looking for a particular shot, I just wanted to get it on net.

“I know eventually when a couple go in in a row, they’re all going to come. So I’m just staying with it.”

Sounds like what Kessel was going through…

Now to OUR team:
    Gryba looked good, so did Dzurinsky and comapny. Alfie looked slow, he even gave the Leafs a scoring chance in his own end. Silfverberg is a tourist. Here is how to calculate 82-game paces folks, write it down somewhere.
    Take your current points and divide by games played then multiply by 82: For Silf that is 3 points / = 0.2 PPG x 82 = 16.4 so let’s say 20 points over 82 games. Quite the world-beating, men’s league dominating SEL champ! For fun here would be Karlsson’s 82 game paces. 10/14 = 0.71 ppg x 82 = 58 points, so probably closer to 65ish. Reasonable production considering his increase SH time.

Zib should be in the AHL. Hell Silf should be there too. What’s hilarious is that the propaganda arm (Team 1200) keeps telling his SIlf beat Daniel Alfredsson’s SEL records but let me ask Yorkie a question. When Silf faces off against Phil Kessel, or Claude Girous or James Neal, do you think they give a crap about the SEL? No, bceuase they play in the NHL and they know that is the best league in the world. Now, I’m not saying Silf will be a 20-30 point guy his own life but dear lord, if he can’t crack 50-60 points this team is in a WORLD OF PAIN. We need actual TALENT up front. We have so many grinders it’s like watching a glorified AHL team. After this contract is over I’d love a new GM from outside the org that will take a long look at what he has and clean up as needed.

Oh, we lost to the Leafs. Kadri looks good, Kessel lots of speed, Orr is a buffoon, nice fossils they drove in for the pre-game. Hopefully this team can beat New Jersey tomorrow afternoon because Boston and Toronto (in OUR Barn, I expect Kessel to pot 2 or 3 here) it’s not getting any easier!

But…the cupboards were bare and now they are full of talent, we’ve never had this much talent in the manures (if I can borrow a line from Bobby) right? RIght Steve Lloyd? Right Wayne Scanlan? Right Jason York? Right everyone?

So much talent we can’t score a single goal on a very, very average Ben Scrivens,, Al Montoya et al!
    Islanders up next…if you can’t…

35. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

Dan, were you saying the same thing when Claude Lemieux rearranged Kris Draper’s face ages ago? Please advise!

36. ChokerHater says:

Looks like this Ottawa team now has a crutch, they, and their media have talked them out of paying well.
    Of course they can’t win, Spezza is out getting a new spine, and Karlson is out getting a new leg, neither one will come back the player that left, but maybe if they fuse Spezza’s spine he won’t be able to shoot those beauty back passes to the opposing teams, hehe
    Good luck with the rest of this shortened season, you’re going to need more than luck with this group od AHLers

Dennis, you accept it all; anything the kids (Sly will be 23) do or don’t do is totally acceptable! Pierre pointed out the numbers, they don’t inspire confidence! They continue to prove they are not NHlers especially for two who are the “stars of the future”!!! I don’t write off players, I simpy offer my opinion as to whether they belong or not! You, like like many, are confident in Zibanejad for the only reason he pulls on a Sens jersey; what has he EVER done? I watch game after game where he and Zilfverberg deliver nothing. Karlsson has always shown his many talents although the numbers weren’t there. We have seen Sly’s great shot but that is all. We have witnessed Zibby’s effort, but that is all (where’s the speed?). Tell me Dennis, what have you seen that makes you a believer??

I never said Methot wasn’t an NHLer, but I did with Lundin and still do! I did not support the Methot deal and I was wrong; I don’t pretend to be TVOR (that beongs to Pierre, Kev and and others), that’s not what this blog is about! But, it is or should be a forum for dialogue and not cheerleading! You and Mikey (and a gazillion others in Ottawa) love Zibby and Sly and you can’t even share why? The Media, after super saturating us with stories about the two “Stars” don’t even mention them anymore!

The last game versus the leafs should have been recognized by the writers as a watershed moment for the two “stars”. Not only because they didn’t score again but for their very poor performance. This should have been a game where the Sens “future” recognized the significance of the game, “Battle of Ontario” and played accordingly. That certainly didn’t happen! For all who continue to suggest the team has drafted well and the future looks bright, will have to look beyond Da Costa, Sly, Zibby!! Afterall, next year is the 3rd year of the three year “rebuild”! Jack Curry is right on. The injuries have exposed the reality the team/organization is not in great shape.

Pierre, I don’t know if you watched the Peg vs Boston yesterday, I did. What you see from Seguin is a kid who can skate, shoot, handle the bisquit, use his body and we see it every single game! He has 8 points in 13 games and leads the team with plus 9! For someone who is having a slow start offensively, that statistic is that much more impressive. He plays the game hard, every game and he will never be voted by the players themselves as the easiest to intimidate! Hamilton as a 19 year old has 6 pts and has earned 18 plus minutes a game! Unlike players in Ottawa, he is not given the minutes by default, he has earned them!

I saw the Oil play the other day, amazing/dazling. Their PP rotates (in, out and around) with rapid puck movement. They are not static/predictable. They don’t simply move it to the point for a shot! Don’t look now but Paajarvi is tied with the Swedish SEL SENsation Sylfverberg with 2 goals and 1 more than Zibby and he certainly doesn’t get to play with…

38. Dennis_w says:

Bobby,

I stopped reading your very long post after the first couple of sentences since you continue to put words into my mouth. I never said I was a BLEIEVER of Silf, Mika, Karlsson or anyone else in their 1st season (or later). For me, it was simply TOO EARLY to know. They could busts. I just want more time, whereas you’ve already decided that Karlsson, Cowen, Weircoch, Mika, Da Costa, Rundblad, Lehner …are all busts.

We just don’t understand each other and I’m not wasting any more time.

39. Mel Parker says:

I always thought when you pinned a player to the dasherboard, the first thing you would do is plant your feet firmly on the ice to afford you more thrust in riding the player out of the play.

Matt Cooke’s actions appear to be subtle attempt to injure.

Grapes’ comments re additional taping along the leg above the skate boot has been a long tradition in hockey at all levels in an effort to alleviate potential ankle/leg injury.

What amazes me more is that no punitive action was taken against Bruce Orpik a few weeks ago when he slashed Joffrey Lupul across the forearm putting JL on the DL for a rather long stretch. (I am not a Leafs fan)

Hey Mel I don’ t know the play you are talking about but Lupol was injured when Phaneuf broke his forearm with a shot from the point.

Dennis, you are predictable. You neither like nor dislike, you simply object. What words did I put in your mouth. I never wrote off Lehner; indeed I said he was an outstanding talent and he, pretty well by himself, won a Calder Cup and continues to win games in Binghampton. I have agreed with the many stories about his character and behaviour though. I also acknowledged he woke up, grew up and got himself very fit. Indeed, I wrote off Rundlbad (how many years will you give him to become a bona fide NHLer. He has been replaced by the tired, old Wade Redden).

This a blog, unless we all know who Dennis_ W is, it assures your anonymity, so why not tell us all what you expect “Mika”and Silfverberg will do this year? I ask the question Dennis, but I realy don’t need to, I know the answer. It is because like targets in any business, we will all see the results. I got news for you Dennis, it doesn’t really matter. We are only sharing our opinions. I actually hope I am dreadfully wrong!

I never wrote off Karly, ever. I have always concede his enormous skill. I have only said (this bear repeating because you invent things when you believe you are cornered and that isn’t possible blog where we simply offer opinions) I perfer defencemen who do what he does but will hit, block shots, go into corners etc. He is a 4th forward.

I did write of Butler. Cowen, to me is big but slow and soft for his enoumous size. Da Costa has 1g and is -4 this year. The future star “Mika” has one goal and he has been given every opportunity to succeed while others far more worthy only got a sniff (you must have wrote of Hoffman and Petersson). DD is now tied with “Mika” with one goal. But as far as your concerned, he is here ligitimately after scoreing 5 goals last year in the SEL and 4 in AHL. I understand you perfectly well Dennis and I will read every word you write (it takes but a minute or two). You are a loyal Sens fan and I think it is fabulous. I am a fan of good hockey and a Sens fan second. I will celebrate only what I think is worth celebrating.

Mel, you may have that wrong and Dave correct (the broken arm thing). I will offer that skates of yesteryear were primarily made of leather (I remember some putting them in pales of water to get them to conform to their feet; many used vaseline (I loved leather on the inside, I felt far more secure). They were flexible and the guard at the back (along the achilles tendon) could fold easily. I, like many others never taped it because I wanted no restriction at all. Todays skates are very different, they are rigid and if someone taped the back to there legs it would be like skating with a concrete boot on. Protection sewn into the hockey sock makes a great deal of sense to me and like visors, I don’t understand why it isn’t mandatory.

42. Daniel Murphy says:

I wonder if the old tradition of taping of the top of the skate to the leg was really being done to protect the achilles tendon? Personally I think a lot of hockey players started doing this at a very young age to provide addional support of the leg in the skate and simply continued doing so as they progressed to the NHL. Remember, skates didn’t provide alot of support until very recently. I would venture to guess most players ages 0 – 20 don’t even know what their achilles tendon is but they tape the top of the skate boot to their leg.

Murph, I preferred the the flexibilityof the old Tackaberrys; stong ankles provide ample support. I also liked bare feet and loose laces (I tried after reeding Orr skateed bare foot and practiced without lacing up his skates on ocassion. I have a pair of skates my son bought me and they are the best money can buy and the only thing I really like about them is they are extremely light…feather light!

44. Dennis_w says:

Bobby,

You don’t know me, but I know you. If it wasn’t for this blog, you’d be that crazy relative in the corner that know one listens to. Seriously, if you know which teenagers will be stars and which will be busts, you’d be wasting your time on a blog. But the fact that you’re always wrong means that you have no idea, and that’s why you’re here.

That’s okay, but I don’t have to be.

Wade Redden, Rundblad ???? Please let that be your last confusing, makes no sense, post to me. I’ll cherish it always.