Super Sunday

- February 5th, 2012

Not a super Sunday for everyone.
The loss Saturday night at Scotiabank Place was hard to stomach and hard to figure out.
The first question: What happened?
The Senators just didn’t get the job done. They played well in the first 10 minutes. Then they completely fell apart. The Senators didn’t react well to being down. Sure they had lots of shots on James Reimer but Glenn Healy and I were watching a different game because the Senators didn’t have many scoring chances.
So, what now?
Get back on track. Make you stay in the playoff hunt.
It would appear the Boston Bruins are going to do the Senators a favour by beating the Washington Capitals today.
That will keep the Caps three points back of Ottawa and sitting at No. 9 in the East.
My personal feeling is the Winnipeg Jets are too far back to make a push. That’s just me.
The Senators didn’t expect to make the playoffs at the start of the season. Now they are expected to make the post-season. If you expected coach Paul MacLean to cancel the day off Sunday and hold a practice, you were wrong.
I didn’t either.
The Senators can get this turned around.
They can get back to playing the hockey that made them successful earlier this season.
They’ve got it in them. They just have to find it.

I don’t think you really believe that Bruce. I do understand why you say it, but I think it is a little disingenuous.

2. ChokerHater says:

Seems another very big game and another choke
    The Sens are getting back to where they belong, out of the playoffs and closer to last place.
    I feel bad for MacLean, he’ll be the next scapegoat that Murray uses.
    They were absolutly brutal on Saturday night
    but it was a huge game for them so what did the Ottawa fans expect.

3. Pav says:

I still have faith.. but man…. waking up to a 5-0 loss.. was hard.. esp. to the leafs.. but give the leafs credit, they are playing good hockey!

Hey Choke, buddy, where have you been? I think the fans at the Bank cheer for their team and always hope for the best and that’s to be celebrated! Maclean and company certainly couldn’t blame the refs that night. I wasnt very surprised with the outcome. I think that because of their record some unreasonable expectations have been set. As much as I want the team to succeed, I have to acknowlege they aren’t a good hockey team and their record is far better than it should be (I have gone over the reasons why adnausium). It must have felt good to be Kessel and company…rubbing Ottawa’s fans nose in it so to speak. Speed never goes into a slump and Toronto’s forward’s exposed Ottawa’s slow defence. If Anderson isn’t outstanding, the team will lose. Now that Spezza has been in a slump for 6 games…the team has lost 6 games. Even Karlsson will suggest that he “gives the puck to Spezza as quickly and as often as he can”. Spezza’s is not a goal scorer per say, so if Michalek isn’t scoring the line playing a man short with the likes of Butler, Condra, Greening and Obrien…will fail! I disagree with you on the Maclean think. If you count the GM’s insertion as interim coach, the team will have had 5 coaches in less than 5 years. At some point Murray will have to take some responsibility for the lack of success (you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear…no can you?). I have never seen the star making machinery at work like it has for the last 2 years and they have made fan/media stars out of ham and eggers. What is scary Choke, many buy it! I want to see where the team will be this time next year. I am excited to see Zibby but have some reservations with Silferberg. I would have loved to see him here for the full camp and in Bingo. He has all the tools but does he have the confidence and does he really want to play in the NHL? I don’t know. Am 18 and 19 year old wanted to test their games against NHLers!!! Tthe question will be, IF the team this time next year is no better how long will it be before they are better? And, at what point does the owner make a call if there is not progress. Bingo is fallow right now.

Easy question Bobby…Chokerlover has been in hiding.

He is a one trick pony and unless he is bashing the Sens he doesn’t have anything to offer. Now that the Sens have hit a skid he comes out of the shadows and goes back to being the troll that he is.

Chokerlover if you ever decide you want to have meaningful discussions you will be welcome but until then try to grow up.

So Bruce, tell me. Did you lie when posting this? I don’t see why you would but Bobby has me thinking…

I don’t think the Sens are as bad as they have been and as I have said many times before they weren’t as good as their earlier winning streak. Outside of the loss to the Leafs most of the last 20 or so games have been decided by 1 goal…means they can go either way. The Sens can compete with anyone and that was proven when they beat the Chokers of the Western Conference and beat the Flyers, Pens, etc… on their run.

They will get back to playing good hockey and see where they finish but the Leafs, Caps and Sens will all need to play good hockey to make it in to the post season.

7. ChokerHater says:

Well don’t expect much of a change, in fact I think it will get tougher. No matter how good an 18 or 19 year old is, they aren’t going to turn an NHL team around, unless their name is Gretzky, and I don’t think they have a Gretzky in the bunch. Time has shown over and over your ALMOST always better leaving those kids in the minors. I know there are a few exceptions but 19 out of 20 need the seasoning

8. Dennis_w says:

Bobby,

In an earlier post you state that “hate” is a strong word that you don’t endorse but the guy who calls himself a hater is “your buddy”. Just like Visitor was the “voice of reason”.

All it takes is a bit of a slump for all you sens haters to crawl out for a group hug.

9. ChokerHater says:

get thicker skin
    a BIT of a slump?????
    LOL

All teams go through ups and downs every season. I still believe the Sen’s will make the play offs. OD, good point. Where was Choker during the Sen’s hot streak?

11. Pav says:

Hey.. Dennis.. I hope you are not including me in that comment!

Dennis, buddy (I can call you buddy, right?). This is a blog…we are all brothers. If we all shared the same social style – opinions – attitudes and all cheered for the same team, wouldn’t this be boring? I love to read what people think. I may not agree with it but love it anyway. Choke loves Heatley and like a lumberjack, that’s OK! BTW: don’t look now but Heatley now has 17 goals. What am I going to do if Choke (or anyone for that matter) posts something I don’t agree with, get my shorts in a not…no sir. It makes for some interesting conversations. At the end of the day we are all hockey fans and some are even fanatical about it (again, all good). I have been corrected many times on an erroneous post (mostly by Dave…he calls me on stuff and many times he is right on). I then lick my wounds and move on… In Chokes last post he offers that 19 and 20 year olds need seasoning. It is a topic near and dear to my heart. I agree with him. If it was up to me, I would mandate that kids play out their Junior eligibility. Yes, there are some who shine as teenagers (the Nuge and Skinner are good examples) but every one of those there a many who struggle. I firmly believe that Josh Bailey should have stayed in Junior and the Islander have hampered his growth. I have a theory Dennis. Something has happened that is a disturbing trend in North America and perhaps around the world. If someone doesn’t share the same viewpoint with another, rather than simply agree to disagree or delve into a dialogue to understand the other’s perspective (which I would prefer…because you may learn something) we hate and get angry. Yes Republicans are stupid but damn they make life funny and interesting…don’t they? Hate is a strong word. I hate actions but very few people.

Get a life.

I really hope you are under 13 years old because it takes a real loser to get his jollies coming to a board to only spew negative garbage.

14. Pav says:

OD99! well said mate

15. Dennis_w says:

Bobby,

First of all, I could care less what team someone cheers for, so we don’t “all have to cheer for the same team”. In fact, I think there are only 3 regular contributors who are sens fans: Pavan, Mike and OD (I don’t consider myself a regular contributor).

As long as you have something intelligent to say and can back it up with facts, I’m all ears. Your “buddy”, starting with the very ironic name he/she has chosen, is not about any of these things.

You can continue to LoL at his wife-beating jokes and borderline racism, but I prefer to stay very thin-skinned.

I am hoping the team will use their speed tonight. I would love for them to come out of their zone with some giddyup and hit players with passes on the fly! Michalek used to fly out there and when his big frame (23) is moving so fast with the puck, he is hard to stop. Can you imagine what might happen if Greening would put his big body in high gear and recieve a pass…he wouldn’t have to worry about stickhandling he COULD beat players with speed. He and Turris should trust their speed on the outside. I would also like the team to hit the net. They shoot high and wide more than anyone and the high shots wide are PP killers as the don’t produce rebounds and usually rings right around the boards and leaves the zone wasting valuable time. I really would like to see what Andre could do up here for a few games. I was looking at the scoring leaders in the A and the top 5 are all 5-8 and 5-9 and one is 5-10. The game certainly has changed. Speed is number one. If your big with speed, even better. This game is about speed and willingness to compete. I watch Skinner (19 yrs old, 5-11, 190), Eberle (5-11, 190) and Nuge (18, 6-1, 175) and they bring it every game.

I guess our man Donny couldn’t have been more wrong!

1) Anderson started and was bad.
    2) Auld relieved him and was very good.
    3) Greening didn’t open opportunities for Spezza
    4) Spezza didn’t cheat high
    5) The fans didn’t get on Elliott
    6) There wasn’t a lot of traffic in front of Elliott
    7) Elliott was very good
    8) Elliott earned a star; and
    9) Ottawa lost its 7th in a row

YIKES! Don, don’t buy a lottery ticket tonight my man!

Ottawa is in a funk right now but they aren’t skating. No one is getting passes on the fly. There is no give and go game. I really hate the slow cavalier manner in which Karlsson comes out of his own end and then force feed a 75 foot pass. You are blessed with speed son, get some giddyup in your rush! I prefer coming out as a group with short quick passes, give and go hard and try the 75 footer once in a while to spreed the other team out and keep them honest. Have you ever seen a team that misses the net more than Ottawa. High and wide…its a broken record. I would start fining them and the shots that miss from the slot are inexcusable. There is no chance to score and there is no chance for a rebound and on the PP, it often exits the zone…killing time. Maclean’s coaching will be tested now. Its great to be a players coach but being a good guy will not help them right now…they need to fix some problems. Technically, the team is not playing well. 28 shots tonight and 49 the other day are misleading. Shots from outside rarely go in. Nashville is on a roll and look out Ottawa. Then they face Edmonton on Saturday. The team is losing but they are killing themselves. I know they are not a great hockey team but, even bad hockey teams can play sound hockey.

18. Daniel Murphy says:

Bobby, the team was not ready to play according to the coach. Again I ask, who’s fault is that? I say it is the coach’s fault. McLean sounded like the Ottawa loss had nothing to do with his coaching at all. Actually, when you listen to the coach, you would think he was an idle spectator or fan and had no say in the outcome.

“You can continue to LoL at his wife-beating jokes and borderline racism, but I prefer to stay very thin-skinned”? I am afraid I don’t have a clue what you are talking about Dennis.To me, the thin skinned phoenomina is almost at epidemic proportions in Canada. I do not offend easily and I choose to stay thick skinned. It is far more Canadian unless of course you are a member of the extreme left. If you are making reference to professional hockey players complaining about name calling…again, I have very little sympathy. What is said on the ice stays on the ice. At least that is the way it used to be. Is it OK to call someone’s wife, mother, daughter something thouroughly disgusting but the line is drawn on a racial remark? Again, I don’t get it. As for me being a Sen’s fan, I was there for the very first game Ottawa played at the Civic Centre against Le blue, blanc et rouge. I celebrated the team when they entertained and challenged for the cup. And, I am extremely disappointed with what has happened since and I voice the reasons for my discontent. I am a hockey fan first and an Ottawa Senator fan second. I don’t like very much of what the Murray boys have done here but that’s just me. If that means I am not a Senators fan…so be it; I am thick skinned and it doesn’t bother me at all. I blame extreme sensibilities for much of what is wrong with this country including this once thriving blog.

20. ChokerHater says:

wife beating jokes and borderline racism????
    huh

21. Dennis_w says:

Bobby,

I don’t rehash old comments and get into old arguments about what I found unacceptable and completely unrelated to hockey.

As far as being a sens fan, that has noticing to do with not being critical. But you once threatened to “take your allegiance elsewhere” should Ottawa trade Spezza. That makes you a Spezza fan and a fan of hockey, but not a sens fan.

Players come and go but a fan’s allegiance should never be in doubt.

Indeed I am a Spezza fan. I said what I said because the team was dismantled by Murray and it was rumoured Spezza was next (and I believe he was) and that would have been the last straw for me. I loved Hossa, Vermette, Havlat, Fisher, Kelly, Volchenkov and many others who either sat and wasted away, were traded away or were allowed to walk and the team got nothing. This is not good management in my books. It amazes me how many forget that Murray has been the GM here for 5 years now and what has been accomplished? He favoured tired old bums over youth and speed and he even traded away draft picks to get them. Many are happy with this team and a lousy team in Bingo! I make no appologees Dennis. I wont pretend to be entertained by Butler, Winchester, Da Costa, Obrien, Konopka, Dogauvins, Condra, Greening, Carkner, Wiercoch, Gryba, Boroiechie, Lock. It actually offends me to have to listen to Brown and Potvin do the hard sell on ham and eggers, game in and game out . I tried radio to get away from them but was then exposed to Gord Wilson. As I have said, I have never seen such propaganda in my life and the piece de la resitance was the supersaturation and deification of Alfredsson. He is a God here in Ottawa. I love Alfie but he is just a lucky man who plays hockey for God sakes. When the owner said “we are looking at a living legend”, I had to laugh. I don’t worship hockey players…they entertain me and that is all and only if they are talented. Hockey players are members of the fortunate few who are blessed with great talent so they can PLAY and game they love, make millions of dollars and be adorned by millions. I will cheer for my team the Ottawa Senators and the players I love to watch play. But I wont join the group hug to celebrate bums. If that discounts me as a Sens fan in your books, so be it; I certainly wont lose any sleep over it. One final thought. I have read some suggest the franchise was a house of cards when Murray took over as GM the next year after the Stanley Cup birth. I don’t understand. Detroit again this year leads the entire league and have on or near the top for years. Why…because they have a GM, a great AGM, fantastic coach and under Mark Howe and Pat Verbeek they have fantastic scouting and player development. You wont see nepotism and favors granted in that franchise. No Dave Cam-morns in Detroit.

Dennis, I want to reiterate that I respect everyone’s comments here and it does make for interesting reading even though sometimes I may sound harsh (I appologize for that, but it is all in fun). I have read often how Murray inheritaged an aging team and the franchise was a house of cards. This is pure fiction. Murray took over a team that led or was second in the standings. The team led or was near the lead in almost every category. The 06 – 07 Senators, the very team that went to the Stanley Cup playoffs, had an average age of a smidgen over 26 years of age! Make no mistake, Murray came to Ottawa to become General Manager; coaching was simply an interim thing. His .500 record as coach was nothing to brag about and in 30 years never wore/earned a Ring! The team the Sens played against for the championship was deep in toughness and Ottawa was not. Cheap shots came hard and often but Murray inexplicably wouldn’t dress McGratton for a single game (even after Macammond was cheap shotted and most cowered) who made everyone play 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. He wouldn’t dress Danny Bois who played far bigger than his 6′, 190 lbs! They also had some lunatics on the farm that would have helped. The Sens (aside for a few) collectively assumed the submissive position. Murray was responsible for the deconstruction of the great Senators. He hired the wrong coach. He hired his nephew. Promoted a strength and conditioning coach to Assistant Coach (hey, lets make Tony Greco an Assistant Coach). He hired Emery’s buddy as goalie coach and the list of silliness goes on and on. He gave a selfish, ego-testical goalie (“where are the bitches for Ray”) a fat contract (a reward for staying out ’till 3 am partying smack in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals). The next year started the migration to old and slow with the signing of tired old has-beens and nobodies – Lapointe, Stillman, Commodore, Richardson. After signing Daisey the Air Rifle, he discovered the value of propoganda. We all remember the full page photo of the star who was going to patrol the wing on the first line with Spezza and Alfredsson…don’t we? He killed the growth of some players, forsaking them for old bums. He delayed the growth of others to play his prized signings. The trend continued until the half way point last year. For the deconstruction and incompetence, he was inexplicably rewarded with a 3 year extension. The Baby Sens are in the toilet and we fans are supposed to be celebrating Butler, Condra, Dogauvins, Carkner, Konopka, Auld, Obrien (who will sit tonight even though the coach said he was playing well???…I guess Butler is playing weller). No, I am not a Brian Murray fan. I know he is a fine gentleman but a great hockey mind he is not. After 5 years on the job, I am not encouraged by what I see. I cheer for the Senators but it is tempered with the reality the team deep in ham and eggers. When Dave Cam-moron was hired, I came to the realization nothing will…