The Mayan Calendar and Panic Buttons

- March 22nd, 2012

The thing I’m worried about is the Mayans.
Specifically, what if they’re right? What if the world does end in December, 2012?
That would really suck, eh?
For one thing, it would be just three months into a season the Senators are supposed to be pretty good.
So much for building for the future.
As for the current campaign and the immediate fortunes of your favorite hockey team, well, do not fret.
As I said in October, they will make the playoffs.
I do understand the cause for concern, however.
I get your sudden angst.
I hate the term “panic button” because of its overuse, and the fact I’ve never actually seen one. I don’t believe they exist.
Why don’t people say the “alarm switch” or “alarm lever” because that’s what you reach for in times of true panic. Like when a building is on fire or something.
Anyway, if the Senators don’t win in Montreal Friday night, it’s time to get alarmed.
Suddenly, they’re hold on a playoff spot will become precarious. By the time they host Sidney Crosby and the red hot Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday night, they could be just two points up on the charging Washington Capitals and Buffalo Sabres.
They could be clinging to a thread Monday, when they visit Winnipeg, where the Jets don’t lose very often.
And the rest of their schedule (in Philly, in Long Island, home to Carolina, home to Boston, in New Jersey) wouldn’t exactly be a cakewalk, either.
I heard Pierre McGuire say on The Team 1200 this morning: “The big thing is to not panic, if you’re Ottawa.”
I agree. But if the Senators lose at Bell Centre tomorrow night, it’s probably time to be really concerned.
Maybe even look for the alarm switch.
Prediction: Senators 4, Habs 1.

Donny-boy, where do you suppose the 4 goals are going to come from? Do you predict that Butler will do most of the scoring tonight? What about Obrien, Konopka, the Missing Klink or the offensive defenceman Gilroy? Will Condra score his 2nd goal in 25 games? Will the offensive dynamo Daisey the Air Rifle be inserted in the lineup and pad his offensive stats? I don’t know where the goals are going to come from and if Spezza is out again, it makes scoring that much more difficult! I wonder what gives you all the confidence that 4 goals could be scored based on the current lineup and how they are paired? I wonder if “The Big Rig” will hit someone tonight? I certainly hope so! I wonder if the back enders can register a hit each in 60 minutes of play? I wonder if the PP can score a goal? I know that Gord Wilson’s idea of removing Spezza from the 1st PP unit didn’t work (and I don’t know whay it didn’t work???) I wonder if the team shouldn’t use 4 defenceman on a 5 on 3 PP opportunity. It is funny to keep hearing quotes form players and coaches saying they played a good game…its not true, they haven’t been playing well and I have itemized some of the reasons why. Bishop has been outstanding (although he really whiffed on the goal by Kovalchuk). I have suggested this before, Maclean is a great player’s coach (a very good thing) but now its is time to do more and much more. It is not acceptable to have big defencemen on the team and so few hits! It makes little sense to have 3 D on a PP; what the hell were you thinking Mac? Another question I would have asked if I was a writer. What a shocking surprise Gilroy isn’t producing offensively, perhaps and I know it is a real stretch, he didn’t provid enough offence for the two previous teams he played for. I am starting to questioh Mac’s decisions and I wonder if there are entirely his decisions (could Murray be an influence?). Lets be honest here, we all know our hockey, would any of you keep Butler in the lineup? Shouldn’t players compliment each other on the ice? Shouldn’t a 4th line be the ones who crash about to keep the other team on edge and their heads on a swivel? Why reward failure? Why have a double standard and Donny-boy, wwhy are you so optimistic?

2. PaV says:

They will be ok. I have no doubts that we will make the post season….I am like.. 1% concerned… wel… ok… maybe like 2%…. you know what? I feel safe at 5%… yes.. lets go with 5%….

All jokes aside, the game vs MTL is a must win. They need to get back on track. Have Spez back will help.

Bobbbbby my man, deep breaths……. Don’t I owe you a beer? ;-)

3. P. Hanson says:

Don, the Mayan calendar ends a cycle. Then it starts over. Like Decmber gives way to January again.

The Mayans never said the world will end with their calendar. That’s pure Hollywood.

Getting all your history from movies is not recommended..

A win for the Sens tomorrow to go along with a loss for Buff against the Rangers would go a long way towards helping the Sens secure a spot…I want them to go in on a high note but really just need them to get in period!

Have to wonder what is up with Bingo guys…what about getting Petersson up here again to see what he can do on 1st or 2nd line? I would be all for getting Silvferberg into the line-up too if his play-offs end in time.

Not sure if any of you are following but he has continued his scoring and dominance into the post season, leading scorer in the league and clutch too – scoring OT goals and setting them up….I am more excited about him as the season goes on.

5. JaDu73 says:

Bobby, great to see you still ranting….lol. Pav, the optimistic, I love it. Sens are gonna make it! What Don should be worried about is what he his hidding behind his beard….seems like he is catching up to Bruce!

Oh I breathe baby and you don’t owe me a beer yet…but I think you will. It is clear Melnyk has had enough of the big spending. He’s made it clear he will not be a cap guy (can’t say I blame him).

I keep hearing about the “rebuild” but shouldn’t/doesn’t rebuild imply there are great prospect for the future (going forward)? Can we really say that about this team? Is this team going to be respectable with Klink, Winchester, Condra, Butler, Konopoka, Obrien, Daugavins, Gilroy and all but maybe 2 on the farm (they are last in a 30 team league for a very good reason)? We have yet to see what Silfverberg will do and it still concerns me he didn’t want to test his metal against NHLers last fall. Zibby scored all of 5 goals this year, can anyone really say that merits optimism?

I don’t understand why the media want to celebrate Murray; afterall, he is the guy who put them in a position to have to rebuild. He is the only guy responsible for taking a team that was the best in the league and making them one of the worst in very short order! Are we to forget about all the goalies, coaches, tired old men on the verge of retirement, gaudy contracts and buy-outs, etc? He is in his 5th year and we are all supposed to say he is doing a great job? Really? I shouldn’t be surprised though Pav; afterall, our hosts celebrated Clownston when he was hired (as they did Paddock and Hartsburg). They loved Jason Smith’s tougness, Lapointe’s leadership, Robitaille’s speed, Kovalev’s skill, Sutton’s physicality, Commodore’s hair, Stillman’s something, Comrie’s something, Pickard/Bell/Campoli/Gilroy’s offensive, Auld’s reliability, Emery’s team committment and dedication. I think you get the picture. Now we celebrate les freres Murray? One of the celebrated prospects, “the Android”, had nothing to do with Murray! But Gryba, Wiercoch and Rund’sbad were (no chatter about Wiercoch anymore…).

Next year Alfredsson may be gone and should he stay, he will be another year older, slower, brittle and less motivated. The same can be said about Gonchar. Carkner isn’t playing now and as I said before, this is probably his last hurraw in the NHL. Daisey the Air Rifle, will never play for another team other than the Ottawa Senators because no other team would want him. Having said that, it would not surprise me if he was rewarded for his fine play with yet another contract. So will the team be better next year? With kids coming in and having to go through a learning curve and many of them as soft as silk (it generally comes in blue and yellow), I don’t think the team will be better next year.

JA DU!!!!! My man, where the hell have you been????? As John Sebastion sang inn old half hour comedy show: “welcommmmmmme baaack’….

Glad you are still on board and committed! As you can well see…things don’t change a hell of a lot (sometimes thats good, sometimes its bad).

Davey, meet Ja Du…Ja Du, meet Davey. P Hanson, I was going to throw that out there for Don’s benefit but you beat me to the punch! Hollywood has been rewriting history for 60 years. According to them, the Americans beat the British in 1812 when the reality is the war was simply to costly to continue (already fighting an expensive war with the French) and of course, with all the many war heroes, the Americans alone, won the WWII as well (they sat idly by and only engaged when the had to (Pearl Harbour)!

Don has the score at 4 -1 for the Sens…any predictions?

8. Daniel Murphy says:

Bobby, I think many of us have been fooled by Ottawa’s surprising early success this year, much like Maple Leaf fans who thought Burke and the boys were going to be serious contenders. As I sit watching our Sens get beat 4-1 by a crappy Montreal team, it appears the sour cream is rising to the top. Anybody that thinks we (the Sens) are well on their way to becoming a power house team are naive and silly. Now that it is crunch time, the true capabilities and talent of our Sens are showing. We will not be playing playoff hockey this year and Bobby, by default I am afraid you are going to win your beer bets by default.

Don, you were almost right with the score; you just chose the wrong team. I love to hear predictions but leave homerism to Yorkie, Brownie and Potsie (who embarassed themselves, but too dumb to know it, again last night)!

I find it interesting that there is not one member of the media willing to point out Karlsson’s short comings, not even one! They were certainly on display again last night and in full view of his agent and of course, the Ottawa Senators. As blessed as he is with offensive skills, he is cursed with defencive shortcomings. It must have really hurt for Brownie to say Karlie left the puck in the corner for a Candien skater (he did it all night and has done it all year). Karlie was minus 1 last night and led the team with 3 give aways. This is what happens when you play scared and sit on the periphery at this time of year when the going gets tough. The only time I saw Karlie physical was when he chased after the 5-7 Desharnais (who showed more courage). For such a magnificent skater, we never saw him take it out of 2nd gear, not even once. He has to engage somewhat in his own end, doesn’t he? If someone only saw one game all year and it was last night’s, they would think the Subban was the guy leading the league and soon to sign a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract. He skated with the puck and demonstrated wonderful skating and stickhandling abilities. He went into the corners (and the so-called dirty areas any and all defencemen HAVE to go in to do their jobs effectively). He made a contribution. It was entertaining to watch Karlsson all year play the rover position going where he wants when he wants and accumulating points but the games are very different now. I saw fear in his play and as I have suggested, teams now know how to neurtralize his play and marginalize his contribution. Fear will do that.

After a torrid start Turris’ production has tapered off and so has Alfredsson’s (Alfie is showing his age, no goals in 12 games and I suspect he isn’t having as much fun as he was having). I still like the kid and think it was a great acquisition but is he a 2nd line center? Gonchar and Kuba didn’t register a hit, neither did the “offensive defenceman” Gilroy who was minus 1. Who said he was playing better…management?

The Sens were horrible and it was predictable. They have not played well for some time, were quite happy with themselves (the coaches were satisified and shouldn’t have been), the PP is awful and have had to rely on great goaltending whereas Montreal’s out of playoff contention, very loose, having fun and playing with no pressure at all. Perhaps Ottawa isn’t as good as their standings would have you believe (too many border-line NHLers and very soft porous defence) and that’s my contention.

I am questioning Maclean’s decisions a lot these days. Pulling Anderson was silly and reactionary. I don’t like who he plays nor do I like the line combinations. They will have their hands full…

Dan, I have to say that I was not fooled. I suspect that many are really sick of me and my expression “sustained success” but this team simply could not afford to continue to play they way they have all year and expect to win! I laugh when I read about Melnyks’ optimism. He has loved and supported every chapter in this team’s development: the Stanley Cup contending team, the gaudy contracts, the many goaltenders (Leclaire), coaches, the migration to tired, old, slow, retreads, the trading away of those who were the heart and soul (Fisher and Kelly who are having outstanding years), the so called youth movement, siging undrafted NCAA hockey players and the list goes on. Lets face it, Melnyk said this team was going all the way last year!!!!! Murray can do no wrong and it is shocking how many fans support him! He destroys a team and then is celebrated for a lousy rebuild! Go figure. Aside from Karlie on the back end and Cowen who will be an average defenceman at best, Spezza, Michalek, Turris, Neil, Smith, Greening there is very little esle. I am convinced Alfredsson will not be back next year; his contract will pay him 1m and he certainly doesn’t need the money nor does he want to endure the wear and tear and the time away from his family. Time has finally caught up with the current version of the Senators and they are being exposed for what they truly are. We will witness the class of the league tonight. They are big, strong, tough, talented, can skate, score goals, with great goaltending, coaching. Letang will do all that Karlsson does but a hell of a lot more. I don’t want to sound to hard on Karlie but I truly believe he has been alowed to play a style of game that is not going win games that matter. If Spezza was acused of cherry picking and padding stats how would you characterize Karlsson’s play when he sits outside and doesn’t engage until someone pokes a puck free and he races down the ice with it? I have a different perspective of what a defenceman should do and it means making an effort inside his own blueline. It will be interesting to see what will happen this year and next. Even if the team makes the post season, they will exit early and will more Swedes make the team better?

11. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

Bobby. you are on fire!

Look, the Sun and Citizen are never going to be critical of Murray for several reasons:

1)He’s local and local people never make mistakes;
    2)Murray is hypersensitive to criticism, remember when Roy MacGregor’s article about his future came out?
    3)The media are in the business of selling interest which leads to tickets. Most Senators fans 30 or under are idiots and will blindly swallow whatever Murray and the media tells them.

I sure am curious about who the next GM will be. My bet is on Timmy Murray because he’s a good guy, a character guy, a good character guy in Bryan’s words. This team needs to go outisde the city and outsdie the org to get a new GM. The players have become far, far, far too comfortable under Murray andi it shows in their play.

But it looks like they are int he playoffs, so if Alfredsson flips the switch it could get interesting.