Time is of the essence

- November 7th, 2012

This will be Day 2 of the latest talks for a collective bargaining agreement. My advice: Don’t get excited.
There is a lot of work to do. Talks, I’m told, haven’t gotten serious yet. Sure, it’s good news they met for seven hours. It means nothing. There are so many issues to cover.
Today they get to the heart of the matter: The “Make Whole” issue. The owners have to find a way to cover all the contracts they signed in the off-season. How do they do that?
It’s a valid question.
They signed them in good faith. They should honour them in good faith. I’m not sure why people see owners honouring contracts as such a huge concession. Isn’t that why they were signed?
I’m told IF these talks gets serious they’ll go several days.
I have no expectations either way. These could just as easily fall apart. I’m not mad at either side. I just think they need to get a deal done. I can’t believe they have actually allowed this to get to this point and they didn’t come to their senses early.
I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if talks went sideways in the next few days and we went through another thaw.
I do know the owners are putting pressure on Gary Bettman to play.
I do know their are players who have told Donald Fehr to get back to the table and get this deal done.
Everybody wants to play.
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
Lots of work to do.
Lots of fight ahead.
This battle isn’t over.
I do think the season hangs in the balance if they aren’t able to get a deal done.

I think the two sides have made this fight far too public. Does it do the league good to demonize players and owners both? We still hate lawyers but now we have lost all respect for the players and owners!

When the owners realized they and Smug Smurf blundered with the 57 – 43 split and were hell bent to make it 50 – 50, did they (or Smug Smurf) not think about the issues associated with the contracts that were negotiated? I suspect not. They call the issue “making whole”…what nonsense. Outragous contracts were offered to players by their respective GMs (on behalf of the owners) knowing full well the labour negotiations were looming! I strongly suspect the 50 -50 game plan was decided a long time ago (perhaps even minutes after the 57-43 was agreed upon).

I respond Bruce only because as much as I truly love the game, I cannot believe how very stupid the representatives for both sides really are. I have heard that the Farrelly Brothers brought in the heavy weights for support (NHL Stars). Can someone explain to me what difference it makes. They may indeed have more talent than others but are they brighter? I will put The Android’s intelect up against the “Heavy Weights” any day!

Whether the war is near its end or just entering another battle, it matters little. I don’t miss Milque Toast and the cross dressing Dum Cherry. I am only exposed to 3 pics of God on the Sun Sports page at a time, today was good day, there was only two. We are not flooded with fantastic stories about the young Swedish talent that will carry the franchise into the future (perhaps now Sly will be Spezza’s winger for the next ten years, but stand by, that too coud change). I really don’t miss Pas-du-vin, On-the-Brown, Wilsee, Yorkie, Galzee…all the eez. I don’t miss having to watch, Daisey the Air Rifle, Dawg, O’myGod’Brien, The Missing Klink, Gilroy. But, I do miss the good hockey players. I was looking forward to watching the Oilers. But, in the absence of NHL hockey, I have watched the Juniors. This kid in the Q from Crosby’s home town, Nathan MacKinnon looks fabulous! I heard one of the Hokey Canada Gurus (HCG) suggest it is unlikely he will play for Team Canada in the WJC this year because he needs to do more than score a goal a game. From what I saw he and Huberdeau were the only bright spots for the Q the other night against Yakupov and Company. The kid provided much more than just offense! Haven’t these idiots learned anything? Would they again cut RNH? The HCG also suggested that the kid may not play because he is only 17; does that make any sense at all? MacKinnon has 18g and 11a in 18 games and was one of the Stars in a game against the Russian Selects and he doesn’t belong? The Selects didn’t do the upper and lower 6 thing; could it be the reason why they dominated and won 6-2.

This may make sense to Bob Nickolson and his crew but not to me. Murray Costello, where are you and can you please talk to them.

2. Bruce Garrioch says:

I like “The Smug Smurf”!

3. Visitor - Pierre D. says:

Bruce,

I thought for sure this mess would be done by January 1 so that they could reap hundreds of millions from the Winter Classic, guess this is why I never became a weatherman I can’t predict my way out of my own hat. It really is sad we might lose another season but here we are.

I did hear from Ron Fournier on CKAC (one of the few sports statiosn I listen to, yes they are kind to some Montreal players and org but can also be quite critical, which is refreshing) that NBC and others (Coors included, cheers Bruce!) want this done by American Thanksgiving and possibly December 1st. Owners are getting antsy, players are getting cabin fever, we need to talk about the KHL instead of our local heroes and zeroes.

One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that Murray and company continue to manage the message admirably. Reading MacLean in the paper, he said the Senators have lost a ton of momentum from the previous season, but my question would be all teams are at a complete stop, so (if my gradeschool physics serves me) doesn’t there need to be some force and acceleration applied to get thta momentum going? I’ll get a few columns in for you and Don by saying the Senators are not expected to challenge for first in the Northeast, that it’s a process, that making the playoffs in the 5 to 8 spot would be admirable progression, win it for Alfie it’s (perhaps?) his last season.

I just want hockey back so I can complain about Karlsson and Spezza, praise Greening and Neil and Cowen and have some fun paying $12.00 for a beer, $13.50 for a cold roast beef sandwich and spending 20 minutes in line at the loo.

Take care Bruce!

Isn’t it fascinating that Sly and Zibby both got the call ahead of Hoffman and Petersson in the shoot out loss last night. Really and truly, does it make any sense? Zibby has yet to score a goal in 10 games but he got the call ahead of The Hoff and AP. They, much like Rund’sbad, Butler got Butlered and Da Oates-like Costa, will be successful whether they are successful or not! If you check the box scores you will also see who is awarded most of the PP time, which by the way, is horrendously bad. Brian’s reach extends all the way down south of the mason dixon to Bingo. I wonder if he has anything to do with the line combinations as well. I suspect when Richardson accepted the job he was given his marching orders right from the get go.

D
    oes anyone know if Monahan, Ceci and Graovac will be playing in the 67s game tonight?

6. KevinF says:

Once again dont know if it’s just me but I think the league has the players on the run and are squeezing every last drop before they make a deal. After all agreeing to pay what you contracted for is now considered a concession!!! Sid , Ovi and the other top 50 to 100 players are not going to be crippled. The sluggos who maybe have 2 or 3 years in the big leagues are going to pay as always. Take a year out of a Joey Crabb or Jim obriens prime earnings, now that’s a hurting.
    On another note did anyone see the 67s against Saginaw last night? Brockville boy Brandon Prophet scored a pair, how did he look? The kid was shaving in grade 7! Large with a big shot, good fella. Going to Kingston for a matinee Sunday

Pierre, I know of 12 season tickets that will not be renewed and those fans are sick of the players to the extent that they wont even watch a game. Now there can be a fine line between love and hate so things can change. Personally, I miss the game a lot but I am disgusted by the entire affair. I miss watching the guy who came in 4th in the league scoring playng a man short all year. I miss Karlie’s speed and skill but not his diving and his inactivity in his own end. I miss Smith (who is much better than the Android). I also miss: Neil, Turris, God, Michalek (goalies do not entertain me).

Petersson got only his second goal last night in a Bingo 4 – 2 win (sadly, only 2 others are ahead with 4 and 3). It was a PP marker assisted by Sly and Zibby. They get a lot of PP time. Perhaps if AP played with some talented players he might score more, is that possible? Zibby now has gone 11 games without scoring a goal; it is obvious he is not a goal scorer but he is fast, feerless, physical and willing to get involved in the play. Pageau who centers Hoffman is stuck on his two assists in 10 games. Perhaps, he shouldn’t center the Hoff? The same can be said of FB Canon, he has two points in 11 games centering AP.

Sly now shares the team league with 6 pts one ahead of AP and The Hoff.

I watched the 67s get waxed 8 to 3. The big 3 really is only the big 2 (Monohan and Graovac). Ceci did diddly squat. I dont understand because he possesses all the pysical attributes and skill…I love guys who WANT the puck and it doesn’t look like Ceci is that kind of player. This year’s version of the team is sadly lacking. Perhaps half of them do not belong in Major Junior Hockey.

I have to say that Rememerance Day floods my head with memories of my Dad who lied to got to war and fight for our freedom. He is gone now but his memory lives on. I am so very proud of what he accomplished as a child of an extremely poor family who suffered through the Great Depression. And so, it made me ill when PET as our PM would participate in the serimony every November 11th. The man who so loved his Country and coined the phrase “just society” did not want to fight for his beloved Canada. Indeed, when the Germans were slaughtering innocent jews by the millions, PET, wearing a German helmet, was riding a mortorcycle around Montreal in prominently Jewish neighbourhoods. He protested Conscription. Of curse he never new poverty. As a child of an extremely successful and very rich father, he never had to have bread and gravy for supper. He entertained himself by travelling the world, befriending despots and living lavishly spending his fathers hard earned money.

I grew up in the a part of town called the Vets because many small homes were built to accommodate those returning after the war. There were nine of us in a 1200-1400 sqare foot home. We wanted for nothing. God bless you Dad and all those who fought for our freedom. It will forever baffle me why PET is celebrated, why his name is deemed “Iconic” and why we ignore historical fact. My father and many like him were infinitely better than the man who wouldn’t go to war and will be remembered at least by as the man who: father our debt (deficit financing), introduced the metric system (90% of our trade is with the US), authored C of R & F which frees criminals and parallizes law enforement, introdcued multi-cultuarlism (lost Canadian Identity) and of course forced Bilngualism on Canadians to pacify a (now) unilingual French Quebec which costs Canadians hundreds of millions every year (and favors French speaking individuals for positions in Governement and in the private sector).

I remember you Dad; thank you for all your sacrifices and God bless you and all the others just like you.

Watched the Bingo Sens game on Saturday night and it was a stark contrast to what I had witnessed the last few weeks.

The D moved the puck well and didn’t get hemmed in over and over and that was clearly the best part of the team game but there were some other notable sights:

- I would say Sly was the best player on the ice and he seems to be getting a bit more room out there, he had a few bullet shots and set up Zib for what should have been a tap-in shorty but Zib flubbed it on the 2-on-1 (it was a hard pass but one you expect a pro player to put in)

- Petersson looked like he was interested in actually making some plays and maybe he is just a slow starter? He didn’t start out well last season either

- Stone is going to be a player, no question in my mind as he thinks the game so well and makes some real high end passes and plays

- Wiercioch is looking like he might become a NHL D now too. Smart, quick plays in our end and has patience in the offensive zone – not the big point producer they expected but a big body with long reach who skates well

- Boro absolutely tuned up a guy after he took a run at one of our players >> Boro engaged him but was going to take his own helmet off first when the guy swung at him >> Boro fed him 4 good rights and a left – clean shots and the guy crumpled…you could tell

- Broken record but Benoit is a really good D…

- Hoffman has lots of skill but he looked out of sorts

- Grant and DD might well find themselves in the show as big bodies on 3rd or 4th line as they have some wheels and Grant looked cool as a cucumber scoring on the shorty break away

- As stated, Lehner looked good again…kid is showing what he has to offer and the future looks good in goal

Really tough news to hear about Cowen…in only a few games this season he showed he was ready to dominate the AHL and missing a whole year of development (even in the A at least he was going to play a ton of minutes) will hurt a lot…feel so bad for the kid.

I think with this extended delay to the start of the season (if it goes at all) I am now prepared to ask the Sens for my money back…it can be used in better ways than sitting in their account…

Bruce, very nice piece on Rememberance Day and your father yesterday.

It is a damn shame about Jared Cowan, 21 and he has already suffered two serious injuries in his hockey career (knee and now hip). I hope the surgery and recovery goes well for him.

I cannot believe the speed of the games played in the Subway Series…unbelievable! Yak is an exciting and extremely talented hockey player, but it often looks to like wants to do it on his own.

I wonder if a defenceman has ever led or won an AHL scoring championship? To think that Ottawa could have had Shultz and Karlsson on their hockey club but Brian took Wiercoch instead. Wiercoch is playing very well this year though and leads the team with plus 7 and has scored 3 goals! Good on him.

I wonder if those who predicted the NHL would resume play before Christman iare still as optimistic. You now what is said about Lawyers and billable hours!

Dave, can you comment on Stone’s skating…does he skate well enough fo the sho? I think the 3rd line is set with Neil, Smith and Android (and damn I hope they keep em together) but I will take DD and Grant on the 4th line anyday over Obrien, or the Dawg.

I can see Boro in the sho and the team needs a guy like him. I saw him play only the one time but you could see he was very willing to engage and do whatever: body, knuckles, whatever. He is big enough, mobile and skates well. No one’s gonna blow by him, he wont be standing still. I like the kid…the Canadian kid.

I gather from the box scores and your game briefs (greatly appreciated) that AP may have suffered some brooding at the start. I can’t say I blame him but in the end its not going to help his cause. If he is done pouting, he has got to show em what he’s got…and he got a lot (afterall he is gonna be Spezza’s wionger for the next 10 years).

Zibby is not a goal scorer and never will be. Perhaps they should make an all Swedish line with the addition of AP.

Bobby,
    I believe someone is impersonating you. Whom ever it is just wrote a completely positive post about Sen’s prospects.

Bruce,
    I hope you find out who is impersonating Bobby ASAP.

Bobby I don’t see anything in Stone’s skating that would prevent him from playing in the NHL. He is never going to be a flashy end-to-end guy but he can get where he needs to be without issue and especially in the offensive zone he can use his body to protect the puck. It is cliche now but I think of Luc Robitaille…just knows where to be and when to be there and his hands are very slick. Forgot to mention he had a half breakaway and rang it right off the crossbar and post – almost framed the top corner perfectly with a little snap of the wrist.

Another comparison might be Tavares – lots of people didn’t think his game would translate to the NHL because he isn’t a fast skater but he is just too talented…not saying Stone will be Tavares by any means but he seems to have that type of style.

As much as I like Boro I am tempering my expectations a little…he is full steam ahead but does still need to learn to play D more consistently…that said, he is exactly what we need on the back-end in terms of toughness and competitiveness and I can’t wait until he gets in the NHL as an instant fan favourite.

Not sure that AP is sulking…he started out slow last season too and knew all along he was going to be in the A, I think he might just be one of those guys that needs a bit to get into the swing of things.

DD certainly has the toughness to be a good 4th liner – he doesn’t mind dropping the mitts at all and Grant has the tools to be a good 4th liner, maybe a 3rd in the coming years.

From the limited amount of games I have seen I would say my top 5 prospects in the A right now (not including Cowen or Benoit) are as follows:

- Stone
    - Silf
    - Boro
    - Wiercioch
    - Hoff

Lehner is a given too…he will be the first great goalie the Sens have ever developed and probably the best goalie we ever had.

Those are obviously the top end guys…Grant, DD, Gryba, etc…could potentially become role players.

I hope AP puts the skills to better use and moves up my very unscientific and suspect rankings and I wouldn’t be surprised if Prince starts to turn some heads as the season goes on…he has not been shy to get physically involved and I love it.

Stop it Mikey…you’re killing me! You should know by now that I comment on the good and the bad…I like to be consistent…and that means being honest and cadid.

If Wiercoch is now a plus 7 with 3 goals, I think that is very good! I have no bone to pick with any player! It is fabulous that Sly is leading the team in scoring and he has reduced his plus minus. I really like Petersson but have suggested he needs to be better, although, I think he is handicapped (as is Hoffman) by his linemates and icetime. In spite of that, both he and The Hoff are one point out of the team lead. AP’s -5 stinks. I would love to get the TOI for the players but cannot find it anywere. Boro has been great; last year on the worst team in the league, he was 0 in the +/- and….he played very physical. He is continuing that this year (whats not to like?).

Zibby never was a goal scorer and I have been consistent with that comment. I have always said I love his effort and willingness to go anywhere, everywhere anytime with reckless abandon. He is also a fabulous skater and that Mikey, maybe the most important asset a player could have IF he wants to legitimately make it to the Show. He and Sly play together all the time and that certainly helps them both. Will they match what Smith or AP did as rookies, no. I don’t think Zibby will score 8 goals and Sly may score 15…maybe.

Grant and DD are both big and although I am not a huge fan, they have to be better than Obrien or the Dawg.

Thanks for the compliment mon ami but you have to agree that I have been consistent and if I haven’t, blame it on my age and dufuisity.

I watched most of the 67′s game and although their new goalie stopped 31 shots, IMO he did not look sharp. He certainly looks big enough but he was completey out of position on several ocassions and the shortie that broke their back was awful. The entire left side (from the goalies perspective) was exposed and the shot came from fairly well out!

The more I watch, the more I love Monohan. He is big, smooth as silk and his effortless skating belies his speed. The kid is unscared, possesses great vision, has patience with the puck (skilled players can afford to be patient), is creative and a great “distributor” of the puck. I saw about ten unbelievable distributes in just one period of play. Some were saucer distributes and some were bank distributes. Monohan is now 2nd in League scoring!

15. PaV says:

Its been 3 days and I haven’t even thought about hockey or even cared if it was on or not.

I was reminded this morning when I went to my closet to get ready for work and there were my SENS jersey’s.

Really, its now coming to a point where even if the NHL comes back in Jan 13, I doubt any of the ‘real’ fans will flock to the game.

Not sure if anyone caught Recchi’s comments, but he flat out said to the players that the longer it goes, the worse its going to be for them….. this is a former player telling current players to smarten up.

Interestingly, the 20 year old Vladamir Taresenko who St Louis selected with Ottawa’s draft pick for Rund’sbad has 19 points in 13 games including 10 this year in the KHL.

Right on Pav. I guess Iginla can afford to lose 14m from two lock outs but I strongly suspect, using the 80 – 20 rule, that there are many players who cannot affort to lose their hundreds of thousands. I don’t know if you had the opportunity to see/har Ian White (Redwings) interview when he called Bettman an idiot. To suggest he is an idiot is idiotic after, all he is a lawyer; he worked in the NBA and mentored under Commissioner Stern; he earns 8 million dollars a year; and, he after “failing in the NHL” all those years as League Commish , is still the Commish! I really do not like the Smug Smurph but is White that stupid that actually thinks he stirs the drink? The league of Governors/Owners who employ Smug Smurph give him his marching orders! And you have Jamal Mayers in an interview saying he was very angry that things weren’t happening fast enough and blamed the League for the 2 week “manatorium…or whatever”. Bettman is the idiot and these two are samples of the smart ones? It is comforting to know I am not alone among the intelidencia.

More often that not you need to fail to learn how to succeed. Many successful business I have met told me they failed and learned from it. I am sure Recchi was one of the players in ’04 who stood steadfast with the NHLPA. After sitting out a year; after losing a year’s pay; not playing a year to add statistics to his player legacy; losing a year of one of the best jobs in the world…he came to the conclusion, it wasn’t worth it. All of those things I listed that were lost could never be recovered. Amazing. He and others who went through it are offering their advice to the current lot of players and it is falling on deaf ears. What’s more amazing his how some have shat all over him/them. Personally, I think there should me a “manatorium” imposed on the players speeking/tweeting publicly for the duration of the dispute and some…forever (remember the brilliant comment by Chris Chelios).

Pvav, I think the lock out has expanded my horizons; I am watching TLC, THC and sometimes even CPAC…my pulse is down, blood pressure is at a good level and got more hair than last year because I don’t pull it out anymore! I am now….multi-dimencial.

Bobby,
    Murray turned Rundblad into Turris. A good Canadian kid. :)

19. ChokerHater says:

hockey is dead, and as far as I’m concerned I hope it stays that way until both sides go bancrupt.
    Funny to see Versteeg blow up today, sounds to me like the players are cracking, but who cares, the longer they stay out the more they damage themselves. Maybe not as much in Canada but the damage in the US is not going to be fixed, and that’s just fine with both sides.
    However, how about those Blue Jays, and the Argo’s too

Mikey, he did indeed, but before that he chose yet another soft, slick defenceman. Have you seen Tarasenko play Mikey? He has been in the KHL since he was 17 and now at 20 is among the league leaders that include Ovechkin, Malkin et al! 19 points in 13 games that includes 10 goals is very impressive; do you think Turris would be posting those numbers? Kane of the Jets couldn’t hack it and has come home. The KHL, for obvious reasons is far stronger this year because of the lock-out and any other year and Tarasenko still shines bright. He is a player my friend.

I noticed from reading Don’s article that Zibby has grown another inch.

Don writes that Zibby’s confidence is growing now that he scored his first goal and I thing its great but just how much is it really growing? I would love to read a little candor once in a while and to suggest he has dispponted to date is not a sin. I see he is on a line with AP and The Hoff and I love it but why is he playing the Center position? From what I have witnessed, he is a crasher and banger and The Hoff (and AP) is the one with the sweet hands! It makes no sense to me, but what do I know from nothing.

I suspect that Richardson has them playing a “defence first” game. How else migh you explain 7 points leading the team and a crowd all between 5 and 7. If this is developmental, let the horses run! Sly has but 2 goals, Zibby 1, Hoff and AP only 2 and Stone 1 scored into an empty net. Is this growth and development?

I wonder if the players who verbally slam Smug Smurph and wear hats effectively telling him to Puck Off actually understand they are lambasting their employers. Collectively they should all get on their hands and knees and thank God every day they earn their gaudy sums because of their bodies and not their brains. I suspect ‘class” in sport has gone out of style.

Choke, I am very excited about the Jays; on paper they may have the best offensive line-up in both leagues. Speed, OBP, Power, Average, they got it all. As for the pitching, it should be awsome. I am not sold on their choice of bench boss though.

21. PaV says:

Bobby, I laugh when I see the players standing around Fher. They have Crosby who is pulling in millions in deals so he doesn’t really care that he is losing millions this year.

Bettman is doing what the owners want. If I was an owner, why would I want to share my revenue with teams like FLA and TBL who lose money each and every ear. Same with CBJ – who cares about that team? After this lockout there will be no fans.

As far as I am concerned, the owners should lock them out for the season and come back and offer them 30% and see how many players jump at that chance.

If a deal is not made by end of month, the season is done.

Bobby, I was never a football fan (NFL or CFL) but hey, with no hockey on, might as well watch.

So I just asked for my money back from the Sens…it killed me to do it but I have now had enough – I think the NHL suggesting recently that the sides take a 2 week break from negotiations was the final straw.

Not that it was all that interesting but Mike Fisher was on my plane from Ottawa to Toronto last week – he was right behind me at the check-in counter so I told the female who helped me to hurry up so she could have him at her kiosk – never been helped so quick by an airline before! He isn’t as big as I thought but he was friendly – I just said a quick hello and that he is missed from the area.

B-Sens play tomorrow against the Marlies – not sure yet if it will be on TV anywhere…hoping Sportsnet or CBC picks it up though.

So the players are upset because they have been characterized as meat…another way of saying disposable asset in most working environments, but not int he NHL. They have been pandered to for so long they don’t know fantasy from reality. I have a strong suspicion that many of them don’t read newspapers, watch the new, learn what is going on in the world. Oh, but they have learned how to tweet…the twits.

They, the players, are the product. The should entertain, inspire and make their fans proud but is that happening? The answer is no it is not. Around North America and here in Ottawa ordinary citizens have felt the effect of corporate layoffs: Bell, Adobe, Smart, Hewlett Packard and countless others. Unlike the hockey players, most will have to find work whereas the NHLers will have their jobs waiting for them whenever they decide they should accept the offer (it will not get better and…they will never recover what they have already lost). The hockey players, unlike most of us in the real world, will not have to worry about losing their houses, cars because they cannot meet the mortgage payments. When they send out messages like the ones we have been reading lately, do they for a moment ponder the ramifications? For those who are suffering financial difficulty north and south of the border tweets like these serve only to distance fans from the game they love(d) and label the players as immature, selfish and overpaid fools.

I was taught from day one in the working world, when in the public eye that I represent the corporate image and shold behave accordingly. Do you think that’s happening with the PA? Are they promoting the NHL; are they painting a positive image? I suspect that there are far more classy players than there are dim-witted clowns but where they hell are they?

If the players playing overseas can rationalize taking someone’s job away (who in most cases desperately need them) by suggesting “it is the nature of the business”, can the same not be said of the lock out?

There are articles in your paper today Bruce about the state of the lockout and I don’t bother to read a word…don’t care. Smug Smurph will continue to do what is best for the Owners and hold fast to his 50 – 50 split and debate the issue how to make whole. Is Fehr doing what is best for the players? I don’t like Smug Smurph but he is getting his marching orders from people who have the resources to hold out much longer than the players. What about Fehr? He shows up late for every meeting (is that really a negotiating tactic?). The players (and league) lose more money with each passing day and he gets support?

I said from the get go, that the players should have been playing charity games rather than scabbing overseas. To see the smiles on the faces of the players and fans alike with the Sens tour through the impoverished Northern communities promotes the players, the game and the league. To the dim-itted fools, open your eyes.

24. nike says:

You know what gets me about Trent University, Bill Byrick. When I went to trent, he fool us into a 50 dollar levy fee for a stadium. What do we get? A field with some seats. My highschool had a better ‘field’ than what they have now. Furthermore, some person donated 1 million dollars and now the name the of ‘field’ is in this persons name. Before, it was in the name of the students, who PAID for it. Lastly, Bill Byrick has no clue about athletics, he was a manager of a canoe museum… not sparkling qualifications.

The wrost part, was his lacky, Sue Robinson, a low level employee who loved to boss students around. If you were any good at hockey, she made sure you would not be allowed to play in Trent’s league. When asked Bill when Trent will get a CIS hockey team, he laughed and said never. Time to retire Bill, you and Paul Wilson were the wrost things that happened to Trent Athletics

I know that hockey stories need to be written but Don, your article today was awfully weak. You don’t give fans enough credit my friend. To suggest “the truth about fans is most cheer for the logo…I’m sorry, but many of them wouldn’t know good hockey from a notch or two below” would be insulting to most. You are capable of much better. There are many stories to be told:

1) The Baby Sens are winning and I think it is great but is teaching skilled players to focus only on defence, a good thing? Stone is celebrated in your paper today for his “defence”. Is this what he was drafted for? He has 1 goal in 9 games and it was into an empty net. Last year’s team scoring leaders have but 2g each (3 defencemen have more, Grant and Jess have more, Cowick and D2 are both tied with them). What is going on? Last night both AP and The Hoff had but 2 shots! Zibby has 1g in 15 games (I suggest the 5 in the SEL last year was’t an anomally…he will be a very good 3rd or 4th line winger). Pageau has 0 goals and 3 assists in 14 games. Sly, the best the SEL had to offer, has 3g after 15 games. The skaters developing scoring touch include Eckford, Benoit, Jess, D2, Grant and Cowick (who is tied with AP and The Hoff!). Again, the team is winning and if that is the objective I say great. I know it is difficult to balance offence with the defence but at this level I want to see the skilled guys do what the do best. I hate watching “defence first” teams play.

2) I strongly suspect there are far more Roman Hamerlik’s out there but they are reticent to let the true feelings show for fear of reprisals. One players suggested he wouldn’t cover Roman when play resumes…yikes!

3) One of my favourite players, Matt Duchesne, called out team mates (Frolunda) and coach this week. He indicated there were 5 who didn’t break a sweat. A team official, rather than passionately defend the team, coach and players, suggested Matt did the same. I know that is not true.

4) Turris has 5g and 7a in 14 games in Finland.

5) Brandon Bochenski is one point behind Tarasenko with 20 points and 10g after 16 games in the KHL.

6) Kane came home early; what happened there? I did see him get rocked in one game! I was inured watching on TV!

7) Wouldn’t Monohan look good in an Ottawa uni? The 67s will go for an even longer slide as the kid will sit for 10 games for an elbow.

8) Wiercoch has 4 goals and leads Bingo with a big fat +9…outstanding! He has no assists, is he scoring his goals on the PP?

9) I choked on Timmie’s explanation for not having the Baby Sens game vs Toronto played here in Ottawa; he said it wouldn’t be fair to the 67s!!?? Seriously? Where will the 67s play next year and will they be sharing a building with another team? If the answers to those questions are SBP and the Sens, will that be fair? With the schedule etched in stone well in advance, what would have been wrong with them coming to Ottawa? But, I expect that kind of BS from…