Bounder Magazine – Summer 2012

- June 7th, 2012

Boundersummer2012

(Cover shot of latest issue)

Hey, if you have not yet picked-up the Summer 2012 issue of Bounder Magazine, it is currently available at a variety of outlets.

Thanks to the ongoing efforts by Publisher Brian Warren -  his pride & joy publication is getting better and better with every issue. It can now be found ‘scattered like a shotgun blast’ throughout the Ottawa valley and across town, in a number of outlets. I usually pick mine up at Metro or Canadian Tire stores.

You may have seen Brian and Bounder featured prominantly last weekend during the Motorcyle Ride for Dad. He’s is a rider himself and a huge supporter!

For stories on classic cars, dogs, men’s health, music, fishing, comedy, hunting, local entertainment, and regular columns by such celebs as  Red Green, Randall Moore(of CHEZ 106), John Switzer, Mark Papousek, Tom McLellan, Dave Brown, Delmer & Cecil and more.

Boundergirls

And if you can’t get enough hunting and fishing on the Outdoors Guy Blog, pick up a copy of Bounder and check out my Outdoors Guy column . In this issue I discuss some great summer activities for the avid hunter and fisherman and feature a field-test on the latest Bushnell riflescope.

Brian

Categories: Outdoors

1. Iggy says:

“at a variety of outlets”
    thanks
    but exactly where should I start looking?
    I got the last edition at the Carp Fairgrounds when the Spring Sportsman show was on,
    should I go back there,
    just wondering because it’s is a great magazine

2. jeff.morrison says:

Hold on Iggs, I’ll go to the man himself..before he heads-off on his fishing trip!

3. jeff.morrison says:

What are you still doing here..aren’t you heading up to moose camp to look around??

4. LeGrand says:

Not without his Bounder Magazine.

5. jeff.morrison says:

Sorry Iggy, must have missed him!

You can try almost every grocery store..check the rack on the way where the free publications are located. I still cant get over the fact this mag is free…its incredible and the print quality is amazing!

LeGrand, you going back to Kenauk this summer?

6. Iggy says:

I was supposed to go, I was ready, everyone else backed out, so we won’t see the place till we go fishing

and the real reason everyone cancelled was because no one could find a copy of Bounder Magazine

It truly is a good, local, mens magazine, but you have to be a real man to want to read it

7. jeff.morrison says:

Oh man, that sucks Iggs!

Brian of Bounder is headed north too but I’m sure he has his mags with him..as well as a neat-looking full camo Bounder pick-up truck!

I forgot you’re going up there fishing anyway…might get a chance to look around at that point. Do you have to stop at the new Dumoine ZEC office to pay road fees on the way in? They have a new office there just after you cross the bridge in Rapides. I’m pretty sure you’ll have to check in weather you’re fishing the ZEC or not.

8. jeff.morrison says:

Btw, anyone looking to find their copy of Bounder in Ottawa /Gatineau (while quantities last):

Canadian Tire stores
    Metro and other grocery stores
    Hospitals and Medical Centres
    Drug stores (excluding Shoppers)
    Some banks
    Real estate offices

9. Johan says:

I want to go fishing this weekend, where can I get my copy in the Brockville or Westport Area? Don’t spoil it for me Outdoors Guy. Seriously does that mag get this far?

10. jeff.morrison says:

Umm….ahhhh…geez, I honestly dont know Johan. I know they circulate right up the valley but I’m not sure about down in the Brockville area.

Sorry man…I’ll know a lot more once the man gets back in town!

11. jeff.morrison says:

If anyone is interested in how I hooked-up with Bounder, I’ll tell you a neat little personal tale.

One evening about two years back, I stayed up late to watch the 11:00 news and they had an interview with Brian Warren and this this new Men’s magazine he was bringing to Ottawa. Although I was half-asleep at the time..I perked-up right away!

“Who’s that…what magazine?” I mumbled to Mrs Outdoors Guy. I was friggin riveted to the television!!

Said to Mrs Outdoors Guy, I’ve got a great feeling about him and this publication and I want to be apart of it..I need to be apart of it!!

Next morning I sat down to craft and nicely-worded letter to the man himself..about how I loved the idea of his new mag and how he should hire me to write for him. A couple of weeks later I got a response and Brian said: ” Hey, why don’t you come over to my office so we can chat!” (I knew then I had a nibble..hehe)

First thing he says to me…”You know, I’m was coming to get you anyway, you didn’t need to write me a letter”. I was a little surprised and a lot flattered. “Yeah..I’ve heard you on CHEZ doing those crazy animal calls and have read your Outdoors column for years!”

Starting off a job interview that way is always nice..hehe…anyhow, here we are two years later and I couldn’t be more appreciative of the Bounder experience. Brian is a very courteous man..always making sure to give the Ottawa SUN full credit at end of every Bounder column..and also making sure folks know I was the Ottawa SUN Outdoors Guy first. He is obviously well-versed in the concept of ‘cross-marketing’

Anyhoo, just want to say it is an honour to work with such nice people and I thank everyone at Bounder for all their hard work! Your dedication and devotion spills out into every page!

Ok, my story is over..that’s enough.

12. LeGrand says:

Hi Jeff,

No, not going a second time to Kenauk this summer. Surely in the Fall with the Ottawa Flyfishers Society (OFS).

Last Saturday I went to La Diable river in Mont-Tremblant to join and help the Club Les Moucheurs Endiablés, stock the river with brown trout. Could not make it for Sunday to help with stocking speckles.

Enjoyed myself.

Just received my Spey rod, so goingto practice on the Ottawa river. Maybe a fish will join in the action.

Also receive a bunch of fly-tying material from a guy from Havre-St-Pierre, QC quitting the hobby. Mainly for tying salmon flies. So with all I already had, I’ll be spending time on the bench.

13. jeff.morrison says:

Hey LG, I’m familiar with the Club Les Moucheurs Endiablés, and I’m quite familiar with the Diable river…neat thing they’re doing there. What stretch of the river are they stocking? It is right along the hwy on way to Tremblant…in the fast water near the bridge??

I can recall catching the odd brown in the Rouge river as a kid…they were few and far between though.

Sounds like you’ve taken the bull by the horns with regards to the fly-fishing thing. Are you smoking a pipe now too….hehe…just kidding. Good for you..fly-fishing is the ultimate sport of finesse.

14. mike jones says:

hi jeff just geting off topic the lakers are bitting like mad on the big rideau my father and several fishing buddies have racked up some serious sized trout found no signs of rubber worms in their stomachs but we get on the water by 6:30 am and are at our limit by 8am just enough time to have a shore lunch

15. Alain D. says:

picked up my copy at the metro store this morning. the rack was full… went back to Metro this afternoon to pick up more food the rack is empty. No more copies at this Metro 10th line road Orleans.

16. LeGrand says:

Jeff,

Spot #1-2-3-4 on their map.

As for smoking a pipe, I still have my 8 brier pipes (each bought individually 28 years ago for around $120 to $170) in Montreal, QC

Although I enjoyed them only occasionnally when either on hunting or fishing trips or a good book outside of the house, I had to stop. The wife and I had asked the kids many years ago to seriously not be influence at school with peer pressure from other kids in getting into smoking.

At that moment, my daughter said to me, “But Dad you smoke the pipe”.

In a split second (no sense trying to explain it was only occasionnaly or even that I did not inhale the smoke), I new she had a good negotiating point, so I told her and my son, if I stopped smoking my pipes, would both of you not smoke. They agreed and so did I. But I do miss it occasionnally. And to my knowledge, they haven’t gotting into smoking.

17. Iggy says:

Jeff, we usually cross at Swisha (the Hinglish name) ands stop at the check point. There is a road toal of about 8 bucks. I think it’s collected so they can keep the road as rough and bumpy as possible hehe
    Anyway, this year on our way in we are going to try going in from Fort Colounge. If anyone that has gone into the Lac Dumoine area that way this year and wants to give a report on the road that would be great

18. johan says:

mike, how deep are the lakers in the Big Rideau right now? Apparently there are lakers in Bob’s lake (stocked over the years) and I tried Sunday but wasn’t even marking fish let alone catching fish.

19. jeff.morrison says:

Iggy, that’s where we crossed too..and we also paid the $8 road fee. It’s funny ya know, I think the only reason people call Rapide des Joachins by the Swisha name is because of AIR Swisha located there..don’t know that the town was ever called that. But yer right, its much easier calling it that.

I didn’t even realize you could go in by Fort Coulonge..I’d be interested in knowing also, because we are NOT travelling through Dumoine territory next year..its one friggin long haul to where have we go!

20. jeff.morrison says:

LeGrand, I went on their website and was impressed to see the work they’re doing. I also didnt realize the river went so far east…above Lac Ouimet.

I’m sort of the same way with cigars..only on special occasions but the kids really bug me about it, so I rarely smoke them anymore. Like you say, we need to set an example.

21. jeff.morrison says:

Alain D, man..you aint kidding!! Tried to find my own copy of Bounder and hit 4 stores before I could find one! Metro on St Laurent/Ogilvie had two left btw. Others may want to try Food Basics also.

Brian told me he may eventually go to subscription which is a terrific idea, since they seem to go like hotcakes!

22. Iggy says:

I like free Bounder best :)
    The road in from Ft Colounge is called Jim’s Road, it’s longer but I’m hoping smother, the last 15 miles into Lac Dumoine took 1.5 hours to travel, when you go by Swisha, so we are hoping Jim’s Rd is better because this time we are pulling ATV’s to scout

Cigars…..don’t get me started

23. jeff.morrison says:

Iggy, I think its Jim’s Lake Road…but I really didnt think it went in that direction. I moose hunted up that way once..we travelled by Bois Franc road..which I think may be the same as Jim’s Rd..its the way in to Bryson Lake Lodge, but I dont see how that gets you anywhere near Dumoine.

LG, you there?? You know that road into Bryson lake?

24. LeGrand says:

Iggi, Jeff,

Yes know the Boisfranc Rd or Jim’s Lake rd. Rough terrain, even when the logging was going on, the skidder would level the road as smooth as it could until the next rain fall and heavy traffic. Without the logging, the road is not as well maintained (i.e., as often), so it may be rough, especially hauling a trailer with ATV.

As for it going all the way to Dumoine. Probable. Call the Quebec Ministry of Natural Resources or Forestry in Fort-Coulonge, they be able to tell you the exact situation.

25. LeGrand says:

Sorry, mispelle iggy.

Just off the phone with a game warden from the Campbell’s Bay Office of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Wildlife.

You guys, are better off to go through Rapide-Des-Joachins.

He told me that the road (Jim’s Lake does reach the Dumoine ZEC, “BUT” it is a bad road and way much longer than the other way. Jim Lake Rd is only grated 4 times a year now. Road is semmingly OK from km 1 to 18, but between km 18 to 30, it real bad. Surprisingly, afterwards it is drivable, but he can’t tell pass the 120 km, since he hasn’t travelled it lately, but he knows that going further is at your risk (be prepare for the un-expected). Also anywhere along that strech of km 1 to infinity, the hills have all been washed of their soft material with the heavy rain and lack of grating, so you are exposed to the rocks.
    10-4

26. Iggy says:

you can see the road all the way in on Goggle Map
    sounds like it’s about the same as going in from Swisha, and from Swisha it’s not as far
    man that road is so rough

27. jeff.morrison says:

Man, wouldn’t it be nice if we could just fly to all our fav hunting and fishing spots…oh too be filthy rich and just pick-up and fly wherever you like. And I don’t mean just a float plane, I’m talking helicopter!

28. jeff.morrison says:

Hey mike, I’m envious! I love fishing for lake trout..there is just something about grabbing them by boat-side and you can feel the cold water from the lower reaches of the lake.

What are they hitting on? I used to have great luck with Williams whitefish and Williams Quicksilver…man, they went crazy for those Quicksilver spoons!

I co-hosted a fishing show (Officially Rugged with RD) filmed out of La Reserve Beauchene in NW QC..just a couple days before 9-11 back in 2001. There was a segment of the Show on lakers. I was using Quicksilver and the Host(RD) was using something else. Man, I must have landed 8 lakers for every 1 he caught..hehe

29. jeff.morrison says:

Heard about this yet?

30. Iggy says:

Float plane for me Jeff, I’ve often thought about getting my pilots license and buying a small float plane, I think it’s about 10k for your pilots license and you could by a plane for under 20 I think

Thanks for fixing my mess up too :)