Wild turkey hen sure sign of Spring

- March 24th, 2011

Morrisonturkey

(Thanks to Mrs Outdoors Guy for snapping this great photo!)

This morning, a fine-looking wild turkey hen strolled through my backyard in all her feathered glory.

Ahh, God love her, I’ll take it as a sign!

Ok, let’s recap:  The Sportsman Show has already come and gone, the sap has started to flow, all the snow is gone from the roof of my house and now a wild turkey hen appears in my back yard….hmmm

Is it just me, or has spring really arrived?

You gotta love this time of year. Next all the snow will melt away, winter tires will come off, ice will soften and break-up on the river and lakes, the trilliums and wild garlic will begin sprouting through the forest floor..

Followed closely by trout and turkey season, one mustn’t forget that..

Next to Fall, Spring has got to be the best season..and hey, it took just one lowly hen turkey to remind me of that.

Outdoorsguy

Categories: Outdoors

1. jeff.morrison says:

Just checked it out, Chessy. Boy, the things you don’t know about eh…I suppose the use of meat glue in commercial meats creates one more ‘plus’ in the wild game corner. Well, unless my butcher is sneaking it in somehow..

Thing is though, I can see that its derived from beef and pork blood plasma..and used as a ‘binding agent’, but is it really bad for you? The process is not natural, of course, just another one of the dirty tricks of the industry…oh well, they always said I’d stop eating hotdogs after seeing the hotdog video, and I still love them!

Outdoorsguy

2. jeff.morrison says:

So Rick, are you saying we should be using a mist net full of birds to attract more deer this fall..hehe..that’s almost as crazy as the ‘wall clock’ theory.

And eating fish along the shore may sound foreign too..but goes to show how these animals will adapt when times get tough. I have heard stories about Sitka Blacktail’s eating Kelp along the shores in the Pacific coast, proving that they can find nutrients in a variety of food items.

So Rick, you mean when you’d come back to check on your mist nets, there was evidence of deer tearing the birds out?

Outdoorsguy

3. jeff.morrison says:

Trapper, I think you should change that ‘meat eater’ rule, I’ve got a feeling we’ll soon find out that moose have omnivorous tendencies and eat coyotes and wolves…ah, wouldn’t that turn the tables though!

Outdoorsguy

4. jeff.morrison says:

Rob, it sounds like you have your system down pat! I suppose if squirrel times get tough, you could always wrap your wire with some sort of protective coating?

Here’s a question for you…and other trail cam fanatics out there. Has anyone ever tried that solar panel attachment on their trail cam? I have one and tested it out a few years ago with an older model..had to purchase these expensive rechargeable ‘D’ batteries and a wall charger for it.

Anyhow, I never found they worked properly and I tried a bunch of different things. Changed the angle on the panel..and started off with fully charged batteries..etc..They always went dead in about 3 days, regardless of how sunny it was.

Anyhow, I guess the manufactures have eliminated the need for such a gadget; now that modern trailcams draw such little power…thank God!

Outdoorsguy

5. chessy says:

this is why it is coming to light in canada now

EU Bans ‘Meat Glue’
    BY ZACH MALLOVE | MAY 24, 2010
    On Thursday, May 20, the European Parliament voted to ban bovine and porcine thrombin used as an additive to bind separate pieces of meat together into one piece. According to European Union lawmakers, the additives, which are commonly called “meat glue,” have no proven benefits” and create products that “carry an unacceptably high risk of misleading consumers” instead.

Another consideration EU lawmakers considered was the higher risk of bacterial infection in meat products created with thrombin, due to the larger surface area of meat and the cold bonding process that is used.

The decision not to authorize meat glue as an additive rejects an earlier European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) positive safety opinion on the use of ‘meat glue’ in 2005.

Meat glue is an enzyme composed of thrombin and fibrogen, obtained from blood plasma. It can be used by the meat industry as a food additive for reconstituting fresh meat to create a product of desirable size and form. The method can also be applied to poultry, fish and seafood.

The Parliament estimated that there is “a clear risk that meat containing thrombin would find its way into meat products served in restaurants or other public establishments serving food, given the higher prices that can be obtained for pieces of meat served as a single meat product”.

Some lawmakers stressed that meat glue had been declared safe and was already used in some countries.

Meanwhile, others said that “consumers in Europe should be able to trust that they are buying a real steak or ham, not pieces of meat that have been glued together,” and “beyond this specific case, the European Parliament has sent a political message to the Commission defending transparency towards the consumer and refusing to accept poor quality food”.

6. Rob St Denis says:

The big thing with the solar panels is that for the little power they generate, they aren’t worth the cash. Better off to get a decent battery and check it every other week.

7. Rick Poulin says:

Jeff about the deer eating birds in my mist nets, I had a banding station near the Ottawa airport. I started noticing some dead moist birds in my nets even though it was not raining. The birds had been gummed to death. Usually with predators such as weasels, foxes, birds of prey and even red squirrels there was obvious tearing of flesh on the birds and holes in the nets where the birds had been ripped out of the nets.

It was a mystery as to what was killing the birds until I caught the culprit in the act, a big adult doe. I suspect she was supplementing her protein and calcium intake due to lactating.

Jeff I have heard the deer on Anticosti Island supplement their diet by eating seaweed and fish as well.

8. jeff.morrison says:

Thanks Rick, that’s really interesting…you must miss those days at the Museum?

Outdoorsguy

9. Rick Poulin says:

The first 20 or so years with the museum were great but then the beurocrates took over and it went down hill fast.

One of my more funny moments is when I caught a moose in one of my nets near James Bay in Quebec. He did not stay caught long, destroyed the net and badly bent the poles holding it up.

10. jeff.morrison says:

Rick, the museum sent you as far away as James Bay to collect study skins? Sounds like a nice fringe benefit.

Outdoorsguy

11. Rick Poulin says:

James Bay was where I started with the museum. We did work for Quebec hydro on the first James Bay hydro projects. The collecting was for voucher specimens. The main part of the project was species identification and population estimate based.

I have been in most places in Canada for the museum except BC and Alberta. Ellesmere Island and South America were the farthest destinations. Northern Yukon was one of the best.

French Guyana was great. We did a proposal to do a five year study with the Paris Museum but it fell through from there end. In our short time there I discovered at least five species of birds never before recorded for the country. Those were the good old days.

12. jeff.morrison says:

Geez Rick, and to think I’ve been calling you the ‘Whitetail Guru’ for all these years.

I guess I should have been calling you the Bird Guru!

Outdoorsguy