Make Canoe my Homepage

Matthew Vaughn confirms ‘Kick-Ass’ prequel focused on Hit-Girl

- February 13th, 2015

Director Matthew Vaughn may be on the road promoting his latest film, Kingsman: The Secret Service (out today), but the director’s already thinking about his most popular franchise, Kick-Ass.

In an interview with JoBlo, Vaughn admitted that while he’s not done with the Kick-Ass series, the next film he makes won’t necessarily be a continuation of the first two instalments.

“…we’ve finished plotting it. What we have to do is, we’ve got to do the First Class to the Kick-Ass world,” Vaughn said.

Vaughn was the man behind the critically beloved X-Men prequel film, X-Men: First Class, and decided that the best way to please audiences and keep the Kick-Ass series around for a little bit longer was to develop a prequel based on a completely different character.

“We lost a few fans on Kick-Ass 2. It wasn’t as loves as one would’ve hoped. So we have this idea for a Hit-Girl prequel. It’s a really strong, really simple prequel where I think we can regain the love and the passion.”

Vaughn told JoBlo that he and comic book creator Mark Millar have already sketched out the details for the prequel, but actually moving into the development stage is still quite a ways off.

“We have to get the script done next. It’s so far out there, you have no idea,” he said.

As enthusiastic as Vaughn is about the third franchise film, he told JoBlo’s Eric Walkuski that he would be giving up his director’s chair and cap to a younger, bolder up and comer.

“We spoke about it to Gareth Evans a couple of years ago. I’d get someone like that, a really bold, clever director.”

As for the franchise’s main stars, Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass) and Chloe Grace-Moretz (Hit-Girl), Vaughn is confident he can get the two back on set to wrap up the Kick-Ass story.

That being said, if Vaughn and Millar are interested in doing a prequel that focuses on Hit-Girl, it may be difficult to do so with Moretz on cast. She was twelve when she shot the first film back in 2009 and has just turned eighteen.

Still, fans of the franchise can start hyping themselves up for another Kick-Ass movie. It looks like it’s most certainly being made.

Spider-Man officially joins Marvel’s Cinematic Universe

- February 9th, 2015

Can you hear that?

That’s the sound of millions of fanboys and fangirls crying tears of happiness in unison with one another.

Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures finally gave audiences what they’ve been dreaming of since the dawn of Disney’s film franchise with the announcement that Spider-Man would be joining the cinematic universe on Monday night.

“Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe,” an official statement from Marvel Comics published on their website stated.

Although the statement doesn’t make any inclination as to what film Spider-Man will be joining, it’s been speculated that the ideal moment for the web slinging hero to make his first appearance would be in the upcoming Captain America film helmed by the Russo brothers, Civil War.

In the original comic, Spider-Man plays an essential role in the epic battle between Captain America’s team fighting for the freedom to keep their civilian identities a secret after the government introduces the Superhero Registration Act and Iron-Man’s army who are quite vocal about their support for the bill.

Spider-Man not only acts as the moral conscience of the entire mini-series, but becomes the voice of reason as he learns more and more about the act, vicariously becoming the readers reaction to what they’re reading about as it unfolds.

Although Civil War would be the ideal moment for Spider-Man to step up to the plate, it’s not the only project Marvel and Sony are collaborating on.

“Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago.”

Sony’s Spider-Man series has been a bit of a mess with their most recent instalment, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 being critically panned by most outlets.

Teaming up with Feige, who’s spearheaded the monumental success of Marvel’s studio division from the get go, may be the magic dust they need to revive the beloved character.

“We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment in the same statement.

To make room for the upcoming Spider-Man movie, Marvel has also pushed back the release dates of some of their most anticipated features. Thor: Ragnarok moves to November 3, 2017, Black Panther has been pushed back to July 6, 2018, Captain Marvel gets a November 2, 2018 release date, and Inhumans has been pushed back to July 12, 2019.

According to the statement, this isn’t just a one-way street either.

Marvel and Sony are actively pursuing other avenues to integrate more Marvel Cinematic Universe characters into stand-alone Spider-Man films for Sony.

Now if only Fox would jump on board and make a deal with Sony and Disney.

It’s only a matter of time before AvX, a popular comic in which the Avengers take on some of the most prolific X-Men, is being shown on the big screen.

Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to join ‘Doctor Strange’

- January 23rd, 2015

Chiwetel Ejiofor may be following in the footsteps of his British compatriots.

The actor, best known for his Oscar nominated performance in Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave, is reportedly in talks to join the Marvel’s Benedict Cumberbatch lead sci-fi odyssey, Doctor Strange, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Marvel has been encouraging conversations between Ejiofor’s camp and the studio, but talks of him joining the production are still in its infant stages.

Conversation has already exploded online as to who Ejiofor could be playing in the movie after The Hollywood Reporter suggested the role wouldn’t just be a villainous one, but would be a crucial character to the film’s plot.

Various film reporters and comic book fans jumped in to discuss potential characters, but the trade magazine and Entertainment Weekly seem to have reached an agreement on the three potential roles.

The first is Baron Mordo, the most likely out of the three guesses. His origin story is irrevocably tied into Doctor Strange’s, and as a former pupil of The Ancient One (Stephen Strange’s mentor) who decides to kill his teacher, it would make for the most interesting character when being adapted for the movie. The transition from his role in the comic book to his role in the movie could be increased tenfold and the movie would still have an interesting dilemma for fans to sink their teeth on.

Baron_Mordo_Dialogue

The only problem with suggesting Mordo as a potential character is, as previously mentioned, most of his importance ties into Strange’s origin story. Director Scott Derickson has already stated that Doctor Strange wouldn’t be an origin story in the same way the original Spider-Man movies were. With that piece of information, the chances of it being Mordo seem slimmer than once thought.

The second choice, suggested by The Hollywood Reporter, is Wong. Wong, right off the bat, is a bit of a problematic suggestion. Casting Ejiofor as Wong, effectively changing the racial background of a character, would be subjected to pretty harsh criticism online.Especially in an industry where Asian actors are routinely given stereotyped roles and that’s if they’re cast at all. In the comics, Wong plays Strange’s butler and general caretaker – think the Alfred to Bruce Wayne.

wong-strange

As Entertainment Weekly suggests, it may be interesting to see the Inspector Clouseau and Cato (from The Pink Panther) relationship mould used in the film, but there are suggestive themes within that decision that would face harsh outcry from fans. Not only would the studio be making the voluntary decision to replace an Asian character with a Black character, but they’d also have a Black man serving a white man. The whole idea just screams endless thinkpieces.

The last character suggested was Nightmare, but this one seems like the least likely of the bunch. In the comics, Nightmare is one of the coolest adversary’s Strange goes up against; an entity that takes on the physical body of the victim’s worst nightmares.

Nightmare

Think Freddy Krueger meets a Boggart from Harry Potter. Seeing Nightmare manifest on the big screen would be pretty fantastic, but it’s highly unlikely Marvel wants to move their film from the realm of sci-fi to horror.

Regardless of which character Ejiofor plays, it’s not only a huge opportunity for him to become a household name in North America, but it would be a huge win for Marvel. Having two Oscar nominated (and perhaps an Oscar winner if Cumberbatch wins for his role in Imitation Game) actors in one film will help bring in a section of movie going audiences that wouldn’t normally be interested in this type of film.

Doctor Strange is slated to be released on November 4, 2016.

Simon Pegg to co-write ‘Star Trek 3′

- January 21st, 2015

Star Trek 3: Paul and Shaun Escape the Hot Fuzz on their Search for Happiness.

Okay, so maybe that’s not the actual official title of the third Star Trek series, but the star of all those amalgamated films, Simon Pegg, is co-writing the third movie in the franchise.

After Roberto Orci (writer of the first two Star Trek installments) backed out of the third film, Paramount and Skydance were in need of a new scribe that would be able to bring his or her own unique voice to the series, according to a report from The Hollywood Reporter.

Pegg, who’s played the fiery and non-conventional Scotty in both films, is a perfect pick for the position. The actor began his career as a writer and has written feature length films, as well as short films, ever since.

Most notably, he wrote the entire Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End) alongside director Edgar Wright and on screen/off screen best friend Nick Frost.

Pegg, who’s also a self-proclaimed geek, dedicated hours of his life to satirizing Star Wars and managed to incorporate a large portion of his science fiction interests in most of his films, as well as in his cult television series from 1999, Spaced.

Pegg will be partnering up with Doug Jung, writer behind several television series including Dark Blue, Banshee, and Big Love, for the third Star Trek film.

As reported earlier last year, with J.J. Abrams out of the picture, Justin Lin (Fast and the Furious) will be stepping up to direct the film.

Paramount and Skydance are still optimistic at this point in time that they’ll be able to get the film out by July 2016.

Spider-Man rejoins the Avengers in ‘Avengers: Infinity War Part 1′

- January 14th, 2015

The day Marvel fans have been waiting for is here: Spider-Man is returning home.

After tentative rumours that the web slinging hero might show up in Captain America 3: Civil War, Badass Digest and Latino Review are reporting audiences can see Peter Parker join the rest of the Avengers in Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 in 2018.

Although the deal has yet to be finalized, BadAss Digest’s Devin Faraci suggests that the silent answer from Marvel’s camp instead of an outright dismissal of the newest reports suggests secretive handshakes and meetings are happening behind closed doors.

It’s been a struggle for years to get Marvel, now Disney, and Sony to work on a contract wherein they could both share the beloved, young character. Rumours about his involvement in Civil War fell flat when contract negotiations were muddled between high level executives, but it appears things are definitely on track.

BadAss Digest also reported that Sony was supposed to have a Spider-Man summit this month, and if it has indeed already occurred, that would explain the recent news surrounding Spider-Man’s involvement in the distant Marvel film.

While the three year wait seems promising for Marvel and Sony to finalize contracts regarding who keeps majority ownership over Spider-Man, it also means there’s room for deals to go awry. Sony could still pull out of the deal in a couple of months, leaving Marvel to rummage through the archive of characters they own that could make the jump from page to screen successfully.

Other news from the sites include confirming that Thor and Captain America will not be making their return in the first part of the Avengers infinity series, as previously rumoured, but will instead be put on reserve until the second installment in 2019.