Make Canoe my Homepage

Harrison Ford ‘open’ to doing ‘Star Wars 7′

- November 6th, 2012

han_solo

It’s been almost 30 years since Harrison Ford appeared as Han Solo in Return of the Jedi, but after Disney announced it is producing a new series of Star Wars films it looks like the actor wants to make a return to his most iconic role.

Entertainment Weekly quotes a “highly placed source” who says that “Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he’s upbeat about it.” As you’ll remember, Ford’s part as Han Solo in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi propelled him on to Blade Runner, the Indiana Jones series and The Fugitive, among others.

The plot line of the upcoming Star Wars sequel is a secret, but when Disney acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion deal last month the deal included “a pretty extensive treatment of the next three movies.”

Creator George Lucas, who had always envisioned the films as a nine-part series, said that his goal was to “pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.” On Monday, Collider reported that Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, Wanted, and X-Men: First Class) was in talks to direct Episode VII.

The news about the planned films didn’t surprise Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy. The actor told Entertainment Weekly last month that Lucas had revealed his plans for the new films to both him and actress Carrie Fisher (who played Princess Leia).

“George did tell us last summer about wanting to go on and do [Episodes] VII, VIII and IX,” Hamill told the magazine.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Ford will be waiting until there is a finished script and director in place before agreeing to reprise the character.

Still also up in the air for the actor is a possible 5th Indy film and the Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner sequel. But given the choice between Doctor Jones, Deckard and Han Solo, I think we know who audiences will choose.

Let us know what you think in the comments below.

 

 

 

Subscribe to the post

13 comments

  1. deap in Kingston | November 6, 2012 at 11:47 am

    Harrison, you’re in severe danger of irreparably tarnishing your legacy. You nuked the fridge in IJ4. Should’ve left well enough alone. Walk away from SW7. “New generation of filmmakers” includes new generation of actors. You don’t need a paycheque that badly.

  2. Guest | November 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

    I think it’s funny Harrison Ford has changed his tune. I can’t count the number of interviews I’ve seen with him where he adamantly states he’d always be willing to reprise Indiana Jones but NEVER go back to doing Han Solo because it was a simple 2 dimensional character. And I highly doubt any story Disney comes up with will rival Timothy Zahn’s fantastic ‘Heir to the Empire’ book trilogy. That will forever, in my mind, be the true VII, VIII and IX of Star Wars.

  3. David Mueck | November 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm

    For anybody who was a kid when these movies came out (I’m 41), I can’t think of anything more thrilling than seeing the original cast again. Just the thought of seeing a trailer and catching a glimpse of Harrison Ford as Han Solo, saying something to Chewie brings a tear to my eye. I hope they’re part of the script and I hope they all accept, even if for a limited role to pass the torch.

  4. Duda | November 6, 2012 at 4:05 pm

    …And Megan Fox as Jaina Solo. :D~

  5. Jimmy | November 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm

    I’ve got a bad feeling about this….

  6. Darth Basil | November 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

    spoiler alert:

    Not so long ago, in a galaxy far far away…
    Han and Leia married, twin kids, both training as jedi under uncle Luke.
    Sith corrupt one, sibling fights sibling, Luke dies in episode 8.
    Han dies in 9, results in one sib going sith
    Leia dies in 10 to help “turn” sith sibling back.

  7. Thomas_L...... | November 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

    Ford is 70. Unless the story takes place in the Star Wars Old Spacers Home, I can’t see how it works. Maybe a Cameo.

  8. fozzie | November 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm

    well, they digitally made Jeff Bridges younger in Tron: Legacy and with the advances in computer imagery, ESPECIALLY those by ILM so I can see this happen. They can make him any age to suit the story.

    I would also like to see the original gang back together. Maybe they could incorporate some of the prequel trilogy characters as well. Mace Windu perhaps. After all, we didn’t really see him die, just get tossed out of a window in an electrical force blast. No proof he’s really dead.

    Anyway, can’t wait to see it regardless of what’s in it. Lucas picked a pretty good company to guard Star Wars anyway. Disney is ultra rich and protective of their properties and the good part is Lucas is participating.

  9. Joe | November 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm

    I would have to agree Harrison Ford is nearly 70, as far as I’m concerned they should leave star wars alone, retire it along with Ford.

  10. Greedo | November 9, 2012 at 10:35 am

    He is supposed to be older. The story line will be about Han and Leia’s kids. He isn’t going to be fighting stormtroopers again.

  11. Gerald | November 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

    It can work . . how old was Obee Wan in the first movie . . . 75? How old is the little green dude? 600? All they have to do is respect the age of the actors and write accordingly. I think Luke could use the work.

  12. George | November 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm

    Ford is in great shape and looks young and strong. He could easily play 50-55. It shouldn’t be a problem and there is no reason it can’t be good.

  13. glen soikie | November 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

    i would love to see it but i also think that whatever disney comes out with will be nice ps cool site

Leave a comment

 characters available