Make Canoe my Homepage

Dwayne Johnson teases Shazam role in new tweet

- July 25th, 2014

Bam Shazam!

On Thursday, Dwayne Johnson tweeted out a photo that has the blogs blogging, the tweeters tweeting and Comic Con cheering.

 

Like I said, bam Shazam.

If this isn’t confirmation Johnson is about to get his own Shazam movie, or a role in the upcoming Justice League film, I don’t know what is.

People have been speculating about the former wrestler’s role within the DC universe since December of last year, when he sent out yet another cryptic tweet regarding the possibility of a major upcoming role.

To sweeten the deal, Johnson told Screen Rant he had found a character that would not only allow him to explore his acting capabilities and personalize a beloved member of an enormous franchise, but one that would be able to stand on par with Superman.

“…the most important [quality] is that he had to be a badass motherf—– and on a Superman level of power where he could throw down,” Johnson said. “I’m happy we’ve found that character and right now we’re out to a lot of writers.”

DC has been looking to expand their movie franchise for years, entrusting studio veteran Zack Snyder with crafting the future of their cinematic world.

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice is scheduled to release in 2015, and we already know a Justice League movie is in development.

The only remaining question is when we’ll recieve actual confirmation from studio executives that Johnson is playing Shazam.

Answer? It might be sooner than expected.

 

Johnson tweeted out Friday that he had made a “surprise” visit to Comic Con to celebrate the release of his most recent film, Herclues, with his fans.

If he’s at Comic Con, though, chances are we’re going to get a final declaration of confirmation sometime today or tomorrow.

Keep an eye out, internet, Twitter may just explode.

‘Fast and Furious’ cast and crew pen ‘Thank You’ note to Paul Walker

- July 11th, 2014

Production has wrapped on Fast & Furious 7 and to commemorate the tragedy that marred the shooting of the film, the cast and crew have posted a message on Facebook noting the end of the shoot and the loss of one of the film’s principal stars, Paul Walker.

“Our family is big and strong but it won’t ever quite be whole again without Paul. All of us — those who’ve been here from the start and those whose first FAST film is 7 — wanted to create a special film for him and for you. We believe we have.”

The post goes on to praise Walker’s co-star Vin Diesel as being the glue that held the film together, as well as Walker’s brothers Caleb and Cody, who completed some of Walker’s remaining scenes.

“From the start, Vin has been our leader who feels what’s right for FAST in his gut and in his heart. When we had to stop production last year, Vin gathered us back together and moved us forward when we needed it most. He led us to this day.”

fast 7

Fast 7 was originally slated to hit theatres this summer, but was moved following the tragic death of Walker on Nov. 30, 2013, outside of Los Angeles. At the time, the latest film, which integrates Lucas Black from Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift into the storyline, was supposed to be the first of possibly three new sequels. New additions Kurt Russell, Jason Statham (as the villain), Djimon Hounsou and director James Wan were tapped to join returning stars Walker, Diesel, Tyrese, Ludacris, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster.

With Walker’s Brian O’Connor character being “retired” from the series, Fast VIII, IX and X are up in the air.

Walker reflected on the popularity of the franchise in one of his final interviews with Collider last November.

“Well, the studio supposedly wants 8, 9 and 10. I’ll be 50. Even if 7 were to [tank], there’s at least an 8. That’s a guarantee. The thing that’s pretty crazy is that neither Vin nor I were going back to do the third one. They were going to do a direct-to-video 4. They were going to dispose it and be done with it. But then, Vin was like, ‘No, I’ll come in for a cameo,’ because it wasn’t testing well. He wanted to set up the fourth one and the studio went for it, and we got a second life. It was supposed to be done already.”

Fast & Furious 7 opens April 3, 2015.

Paul Walker’s final ‘Fast and Furious 7′ scenes will be CGI’d

- March 21st, 2014

After months of speculation, we now have an idea on how producers plan to finish Fast & Furious 7 and “retire” the late Paul Walker’s character Brian O’Conner.

According to The New York Daily News’ Confidenti@l, Universal and director James Wan will use a combination of body doubles and CGI.

“They have hired four actors with bodies very similar to Paul’s physique and they will be used for movement and as a base,” a source close to the production tells Confidenti@l. It had been rumoured that filmmakers were considering using Paul’s brother Cody to shoot his remaining scenes, but it is unclear if he will be one of the doubles.

The film recently resumed production in Atlanta and is scheduled for release April 10, 2015.

At the time of Walker’s death last November, the 40-year-old star had completed roughly half his scenes in the upcoming sequel. He had confirmed there were plans for a Fast VIII, IX and possibly X. The film has been reportedly been rewritten in a way that provides closure for the O’Connor character, but allows the series to continue.

In a Facebook post, Walker’s Fast co-star Vin Diesel wrote, “We are going back in this month Pablo… I know you are with me…”

Some of Walker’s other co-stars have spoken out in the months since his death.

“This is the only movie I ever worked on where we are all real close even after the movie is over,” Tyrese Gibson told TooFab of the Fast & Furious team. “It wasn’t just losing a co-star, he was family for real. That’s why it took so long to recover.”

“Listen, it’s catastrophic,” Kurt Russell said while promoting a documentary about his father’s minor-league baseball team at Sundance. “It’s the worst thing that could happen to a movie, but it’s not as bad as what happened to Paul,” “So everything is in perspective. He was a terrific guy. And life is full of curveballs.”

1487886_10152194488743313_2054252854_o_large_verge_medium_landscape

‘Terminator 5′: ‘The Rock’ vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger?

- June 21st, 2013

arnie-rock

So Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Terminator sequel just got a little more interesting. According to WWE Examiner, there is a version of the film being written specifically for The Rock in which Dwayne Johnson will battle Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Apparently a script that is being floated around is a prequel set in the 1940s or ’50s, with Schwarzenegger playing the hero. As the Examiner writes:

Incredibly, Schwarzenegger may not play the role of a machine in the next film, but a potentially heroic human figure in or close to the Connor family. One theory is that Schwarzenegger’s remarkable ability to protect the Connor family in the 1940s or 1950s with antiquated weaponry by today’s standards ultimately inspired the machines to develop a terminator in his likeness that was eventually sent to 1984 when Sarah Connor was first targeted for termination.

This wouldn’t be the first time The Rock has joined an already established franchise. He breathed new life into the Fast & Furious series, helped kickstart a new era for G.I. Joe and even managed to resuscitate Brendan Fraser’s Journey to the Center of the Earth (sorry, I missed that one).

This is all speculation, but the prospect of Arnie squaring off against The Rock, definitely has me intrigued.

Let us know what you think of the prequel setting in the comments. And by the way, in case you forgot, this isn’t the first time they’ve been paired onscreen. Arnie had a brief cameo in 2003′s The Rundown.

‘Fast and Furious 6′ trailer: The Rock and Vin Diesel team up for ‘vehicular warfare’

- February 5th, 2013

fast6

During Sunday’s Super Bowl, we got a snippet of the action that awaits when Fast & Furious 6 hits screens May 24. Insane car flips, explosions and witty puns were just the tip of the iceberg.

And if you liked the little taste, an extended trailer that debuted this morning shows stunts that border on the ridiculous. We get tank action and exploding planes as well. All matter of “vehicular warfare” ensues.

I’ll have seconds, thanks.

At the end of the fifth film, DSS Agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson) had given Dominic Torretto (Vin Diesel), Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker) and the rest of their outlaw crew from the the series a running start. A post-credits scene revealed Letty (Michelle Rodriguez), Dom’s girlfriend, who he thought was dead, is very much alive.

But if you thought No. 6 would be one long chase with Hobbs tracking Torretto’s gang (cough, me), you’d be wrong. In the new film, Hobbs and Torretto team up to go after former spec-ops soldier Owen Shaw (Luke Evans) who runs a criminal organization.

Torretto agrees in order to get back Letty, who may not be the Letty we all remember. Sorry, who was she again?

It’s not Star Wars, but the Fast & Furious series has gotten better with each new release (OK, there was a hiccup in the middle).

I’m also loving Gina Carrano as Hobbs’ kick-ass partner.

Check out the trailer below and let us know if you think this series is played out.