Vincent D’Onofrio has been tapped to play the human villain in Colin Trevorrow’s upcoming reboot Jurassic World.
The news was first reported by Deadline.
Vincent D’Onofrio. Joseph Marzullo/WENN.com
Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) wrote the script with Derek Connolly and will direct. Steven Spielberg will produce the film, which comes 12 years after the last instalment.
The reboot stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ty Simpkins, Nick Robinson and Indian star Irrfan Khan.
Plot details are being kept under wraps, but an early outline published by JoBlo last summer hinted at a direction the story might take.
“Isla Nublar, is now an actual theme park, as originally intended by John Hammond in the first film. It garners 10 million visitors per year and is completely safe – until it’s not. The park itself is described as very Sea World-esque and includes an area called the Isla Nublar Lagoon. That means underwater dino’s for the first time. No indication of what kind, but there’s concept art showing one of the aquatic dino’s, as part of a show, jumping out of the lagoon and eating a strung up great white shark like it was a fish for a dolphin at sea world.
“As part of a show, you ask? That’s right, folks, this will feature “tamed” dino’s. In fact, our source indicated that the usually menacing Velociraptors (which will finally be muzzled, along with the T-Rex – until they’re not) will actually be used to help fight the threat, which begins in the form of a new dinosaur, not seen in any of the previous films (and not disclosed to us) shows to be much smarter than originally thought and is the main cause of havoc breaking out at the park.”
Jurassic World will be released on June 12, 2015.
It looks like we’re getting our first real bit of casting news on Star Wars: Episode VII (R2-D2 notwithstanding).
Variety is reporting that Lena Dunham’s Girls co-star Adam Driver is closing in on a deal to play the villain in J.J. Abrams’ next instalment of the venerable sci-fi franchise. Details on the substance of the role are scarce, but Variety says the character is in the “vein of iconic Star Wars villain Darth Vader.”
Driver was rumoured to be up for Nightwing in Zack Snyder’s Batman/Superman film.
Adam Driver. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
Filming on the new Star Wars is set to begin this spring and will continue until September. The finished product will hit theatres Dec. 18, 2015.
Other actors that have been rumoured for roles include Michael Fassbender, Hugo Weaving, Zac Efron and Gary Oldman. And according to a report on THR last month, Abrams’ upcoming sequel has been reworked to focus on the trilogy’s original stars – Luke Skywalker (Hamill), Han Solo (Ford) and Princess Leia (Fisher), with newer characters taking a back seat until Episode VIII and IX.
According to Variety, additional casting details will be announced in the next month.
Lena Dunham tweeted her excitement at the news.
In the meantime, what do you think of this latest news? Will Driver make a great villain? Sound off in the comments.
Thanks to his appearance in Jose Padilha’s Robocop remake, Michael Keaton is enjoying a bit of a career reboot of his own. A sequel to Beetlejuice has been in the works for sometime and the former Batman star recently confirmed he has been in contact about the follow-up.
“I’ve e-mailed Tim [Burton] a couple of times, talked to the writer a couple of times, but all really, really preliminary stuff,” Keaton told MTV. “I always said that’s the one thing I’d like to do again, if I ever did anything again. But it kind of required Tim to be involved some way or another.”
Burton is in the midst of finishing up work on a biopic of painter Margaret Keane – Big Eyes with Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz – but after that he’s wide open, Keaton says.
“Now it looks like [Burton] is involved,” Keaton said. “And without giving too much away we’ve talked to each other, and e-mailed each other, and if he’s in, it’s going to be hard not to be in.”
Last year, Seth Grahame-Smith tweeted a photo of himself at work on the script. And last month he tweeted a photo of a Beetlejuice terrarium. Winona Ryder has also expressed an interest in returning. So this is looking like it’s going to be happening real soon people. Are you excited, or is this destined to fail? Sound off in the comments.
Johnny Depp might be getting ready to trade his pirate’s hat for a magician’s cape.
According to Latino Review, Depp is being courted to play the mystical superhero Doctor Strange in an upcoming film.
Depp has deep roots with Marvel’s owner, Disney, and is already scheduled to shoot a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean for release in the summer of 2016. Latino Review reports the 50-year-old star is a fan of comics and is keen to become part of the Marvel machine.
Doctor Strange will presumably be part of Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which begins with Ant-Man in 2015. And conveniently, the company has three untitled films set for release for May 6, 2016; July 8, 2016; May 5, 2017.
Back when Neil Gaiman was considering making the film with Guillermo Del Toro, the Sandman author told me he envisioned Johnny Depp as the sorcerer.
“Robert Downey Jr. would have been one of my leading Doctor Strange contenders,” Gaiman told me way back in 2008. “But Johnny Depp is another leading candidate.”
It should be mentioned that Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s name was also mentioned at one point in connection with Doctor Strange, but that seems unlikely now that he has signed on for DC’s Sandman.
What do you think of these latest Marvel rumours? Let us know in the comments.
P.S. Depp returns to theatres this April with Transcendence.
Michael Douglas’ dance card is filling up quite nicely following Sunday night’s Golden Globe win for Behind the Candelabra.
Marvel has announced that the Oscar-winner will play scientist Hank Pym opposite Paul Rudd’s Scott Lang in Ant-Man.
Edgar Wright (The World’s End) and Joe Cornish are writing the film as part of Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So far, the script is being kept tightly under wraps.
“With Hank Pym’s rich history in the Marvel Universe, we knew we needed an actor capable of bringing the weight and stature to the role that the character deserves,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “We felt incredibly relieved when Michael Douglas agreed to step into the part with the charm and fortitude he brings to every character he inhabits, and couldn’t be more excited to see what he will do to bring Hank Pym to life… Douglas will star as Hank Pym, who first appeared in TALES TO ASTONISH #27 (Jan. 1962), with Rudd starring as Scott Lang in the film.
In an early online post, Variety indicated that Douglas was playing the villain in the film. It was later removed.
What do you think of this latest casting news? Personally, I’m thrilled. Douglas was epic as Gordon Gekko, and that includes Money Never Sleeps. Sound off in the comments.