Make Canoe my Homepage

Fast 7 ‘This is Where Roads Part’ poster goes viral

- January 22nd, 2014

Okay, so it’s not real, but it’s incredibly cool. A fan-made teaser poster for Fast & Furious 7 has taken the Internet by storm.

The poster was tweeted by a fake Vin Diesel account (@OffVinDiesel) and read: “The Fast and Furious 7 teaser poster makes me want to cry…”

Vin is more active on Facebook, and uses it pretty exclusively to communicate with his fans. The fake Twitter account has since been closed.

Fast 7 director James Wan expressed admiration for the poster, but revealed it’s a fake.

fast-and-furious-7-poster-404x600

Personally, I think it’s a pretty classy way to advertise the upcoming movie in which Paul Walker’s Brian O’Connor character will be “retired.”

Fast 7 also stars Kurt Russell, Tyrese Gibson, Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris, Djimon Hounsou, Lucas Black, and Ronda Rousey, and opens April 10, 2015.

Paul Walker’s scenes will be featured in ‘Fast & Furious 7′

- December 23rd, 2013

Updated:

Universal has confirmed that Paul Walker’s scenes will be part of Fast & Furious 7. In a statement released to EW the studio said, “Continuing the global exploits in the franchise built on speed, Vin Diesel and Paul Walker lead the returning cast of Fast and Furious 7, which will be released by Universal Pictures on April 10, 2015. James Wan directs this chapter of the hugely successful series, and Neal H. Moritz and Vin Diesel return as producers.”

BcMYNjOCMAANz30

Vin Diesel first announced that Fast 7 will be released on April 10, 2015, Sunday night.

Originally slated to open July 11, 2014, the new date will presumably allow director James Wan and writer Chris Morgan some time to revise the script to “retire” Paul Walker’s Brian O’Conner character from the long-running franchise after the actor’s death in a fiery car crash on Nov. 30.

Diesel broke the news on his Facebook page and shared a photo from the last scene the pair shot together.

1484161_10152194488743313_2054252854_n

Diesel wrote: “The last scene we filmed together…There was a unique sense of completion, of pride we shared… in the film we were now completing… the magic captured… and, in just how far we’ve come… Fast and Furious 7 will be released… April 10th 2015! P.s. He’d want you to know first…”

Earlier this month, there was speculation that Walker’s brother Cody might step in and film some of his remaining scenes, but there has been no official announcement on how the film will address the fate of Walker’s character.

In addition to Walker and Diesel, Fast & Furious 7 stars Lucas Black, Jason Statham, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Michelle Rodriguez and Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson.

In an interview with Collider last month, Walker confirmed that Universal was eyeing as many as three additional sequels.

“The studio supposedly wants 8, 9 and 10. I’ll be 50. Even if 7 were to [tank], there’s at least an 8,” he said. “That’s a guarantee.”

Fast & Furious 7 rumour: Paul Walker’s brother to film final scenes

- December 14th, 2013

Earlier this week we brought you the news that screenwriter Chris Morgan is in the process of rewriting Fast & Furious 7 to “retire” the late Paul Walker’s character Brian O’Conner from the series. I know it sounds morbid, but Fast 7 is one of the most highly-anticipated films of 2014, and with filming halfway done, it’s a foregone conclusion that director James Wan is going to have to finish the picture.

Universal has suspended shooting the film until January at the earliest so Morgan can revise the script in a way that gives O’Conner a proper sendoff and sets the franchise up for an eighth instalment with stars Vin Diesel, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, Michelle Rodriguez Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Lucas Black. But as for how filmmakers will account for Walker’s film exit (presumably he’d be killed off in the series) will be tricky given how he died in real life.

Today’s latest Fast 7 rumour hints that Walker’s younger brother, Cody, may step in and film his final scenes. The source of the news is the Daily Mail, so take it with a heaping grain of salt.

The pair look similar and Cody, again this is a rumour, could conceivably film Paul’s scenes “from behind and at distance.” If they need to shoot something close-up, Paul’s face could be CGI’d in post-production.

Of course nothing is certain, and the Daily Mail is quick to point out that Cody’s involvement is by no means a lock.

“If Cody agrees it’s because he wants to honour his brother’s memory. There are many details that still need to be worked out, but right now the family and cast and crew are all still grieving.”

If this is the way filmmakers proceed, then it will allow Fast & Furious 7 to play out, for the most part, the way it was intended before setting up ensuing sequels that could focus on Vin Diesel’s Dominic Toretto and Lucas Black’s Tokyo Drift character, Sean Boswell.

What do you think of the idea? Sound off in the comments.

paul-walker-fast-6

‘Fast & Furious 7′ scribe working on exit for Paul Walker’s character

- December 11th, 2013

Since Paul Walker’s death last month, fans of the Fast & Furious films have wondered how filmmakers will proceed on the shooting of Fast 7.

Walker, who played one of the series two leading stars, had only finished half his scenes when he was killed in a fiery crash Nov. 30.

We now have some indication on how Universal plans to proceed with the film. According to The Hollywood Reporter, screenwriter Chris Morgan will attempt to rework the script to use the scenes that Walker already shot and “retire” his character, Brian O’Conner, from the series.

paul walker

Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Kurt Russell in a scene from Fast & Furious 7.

Following his death, Universal and director James Wan had to wrestle with writing Walker’s character out of the seventh movie and starting from scratch, recasting his role with another actor, abandoning the film entirely or using the footage he had shot, and writing him out of the final product.

Producers on the Fast & Furious series were already eying Fast 8, with 9 and 10 probable. So O’Conner will need to be killed, imprisoned or left ambiguously on the run from the authorities.

James Wan told TMZ over the weekend that the film will not be scrapped.

THR reports that if Morgan is successful in crafting a workable solution, the film will resume shooting in January, but it is unlikely that Fast 7 will make its scheduled July 11, 2014, release date.

Fast & Furious 6 is out on DVD this week and a leaked extra shows an eerie scene from the seventh film in which O’Conner promises “one more funeral.”

Fast 7 also stars Vin Diesel, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, Kurt Russell, Djimon Hounsou and Tokyo Drift’s Lucas Black.

So, how do you think Brian O’Conner should be written out of the Fast & Furious franchise? Sound off in the comments below.

What will Paul Walker’s death mean for ‘Fast and Furious 7′?

- December 1st, 2013

UPDATE: According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fast 7 won’t be scrapped. Filming, which was set to resume Monday, will be delayed.

——

Following the tragic death of 40-year-old actor Paul Walker Saturday afternoon, one of the biggest questions in the weeks and months ahead will undoubtedly be: What happens to the Fast & Furious franchise?

Walker was currently shooting the seventh instalment in Atlanta with co-stars Vin Diesel, Ludacris, Tyrese Gibson, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Ronda Rousey, Jason Statham, Kurt Russell, Lucas Black, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster and director James Wan. Filming was then scheduled to move to Abu Dhabi in January, with the finished product hitting screens July 11, 2014.

The actor’s final post from his Twitter page teased Fast 7:

The Fast & Furious series was one of Universal’s most profitable franchises, and the role of Brian O’Conner was the one Walker was most well-known for. It was also a part he loved being identified with.

“I get that a lot,” Walker told USA Today from the Atlanta set of Fast & Furious 7 in one of his last interviews. “I’m Brian a lot more than I’m Paul Walker, which is awesome. When I hear, ‘Hey Paul Walker!’ my hair stands up on the back of my neck. It’s uncomfortable. But when I hear ‘It’s Brian!’ it’s cool. I like Brian.”

In a recent interview with Collider, Walker revealed that there were plans for as many as three more Fast & Furious films after the seventh.

“The studio supposedly wants 8, 9 and 10,” Walker said. “I’ll be 50. Even if 7 were to [tank], there’s at least an 8. That’s a guarantee.”

It’s unclear how many more scenes Walker still had left to shoot on Fast & Furious 7, but he was central to the franchise and his character, along with Vin Diesel’s Dominic Toretto, would have continued to be a focal point in ensuing sequels.

Other actors have died during a film shoot, and directors have found a way to complete the picture. Heath Ledger’s final scenes in The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus were completed by Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp. More recently, director George Sluizer completed River Phoenix’s Dark Blood 20 years after the actor’s death.

For a film of this magnitude, I imagine that Wan and scriptwriter Chris Morgan will have to rework the storyline so that the seventh film honours Walker’s legacy and provides closure for the franchise.

But given how he died, and the subject matter of the Fast & Furious films, how they account for his character’s fate will have to be handled with the utmost care.

Despite whatever plans Universal had for the series, I can’t envision Fast & Furious without Brian O’Conner. He was the heart and soul of those movies.

For many people, myself included, the Fast & Furious films had become a summer tradition. It was popcorn fun at its best – and I mean that in the highest regard. It was a series that continued to evolve and get better with each new entry (Tokyo Drift being the lone exception).

“The thing that’s pretty crazy is that neither Vin nor I were going back to do the third one,” Walker told Collider. “They were going to do a direct-to-video 4. They were going to dispose it and be done with it. But then, Vin was like, “No, I’ll come in for a cameo,” because it wasn’t testing well. He wanted to set up the fourth one and the studio went for it, and we got a second life. It was supposed to be done already.”