Make Canoe my Homepage

‘Star Wars 7′ shocker: Millennium Falcon spotted from the sky

- September 10th, 2014

So you never know what you’ll see when you’re out flying a plane near the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. The film is currently filming in England and Matthew Myatt from the Airbourne Aviation flying club was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the Millennium Falcon and an X-Wing fighter from the sky.

In the image below, you can see the Falcon under construction and an X-Wing fighter under what looks like a tarp. Both of them appear to be built to scale.

Director J.J. Abrams is reportedly using more traditional effects in the upcoming instalment and relying less on the CG effects of Episode I: The Phantom Menace and its sequels. In an recent Girls in Hoodies podcast, Rian Johnson, who will helm Episode VIII said that there was a lot of “practical building for this one.”

 

A video was posted just a few hours after the photo made its rounds on the internet, showing off more of the secretive set.

In interview with my colleague Steve Tilley at TIFF his week, Abrams’ pal Simon Pegg talked about his recent set visit, saying that the film looks fantastic. “I cannot tell you a single thing,” he added. “People sometimes criticize J. J. for how protective he is of his stuff, which I find baffling because all he’s doing is trying to protect the audience experience.”

Star Wars: Episode VII opens December 18, 2015.

Watch the new ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ trailer

- March 21st, 2013

Star Trek 2 Into Darkness

Just over 40 seconds into the new trailer for Into Darkness, Benedict Cumberbatch snarls what is destined to become the catchphrase for this summer’s Star Trek sequel: “Have I got your attention now?”

Rehashing a few scenes from the original clip that debuted late last year, Trekkies get more insight into the Cumberbatch’s villain. Something happened in London, and “the man who did it was one of our top agents,” Peter Weller, who plays Admiral Marcus, says.

Cumberbatch is motivated by revenge – commanders have committed a crime he can’t forgive. No one is safe, and after we see him launch a helicopter attack on Kirk (Chris Pine) and the gang, he cooly asks, “Have I got your attention now?”

Pine, Zachary Quinto (Spock), Zoe Saldana (Uhura), Simon Pegg (Scotty), John Cho (Hikaru Sulu), Anton Yelchin (Chekhov) and Karl Urban (Bones) pursue Cumberbatch, and after they catch up with him, he doesn’t back down; he threatens them.

“I will walk over your cold corpses,” he mutters.

The new clip reuses Cumberbatch’s “I’m better” line, and after watching this, I’m solidly in the camp that believes he could be the best Star Trek villain ever.

Take a look and let us know what you think in the comments.

Star Trek Into Darkness opens May 17, 2013.

‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ plot details surface

- November 28th, 2012

STARTREKTRAILER0

With only a few weeks before fans get to see the first official footage from J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness, plot details for the sequel have started to surface giving us additional tidbits about what we can expect.

It’s been speculated that the villain, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, might in fact be a younger version of Khan Noonien Singh. In case you’re a newb Trekkie, Khan was the memorable antagonist from Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan and the original series’ episode, Space Seed.

A synopsis released by Paramount via The Film Stage doesn’t exactly tell us whether the baddie will be Khan, but does give fans some idea of the challenges Captain James T. Kirk et al will face in the new film.

It reads: “When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.

“As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.”

Audiences will have a clearer picture when the first 9-minutes of Star Trek Into Darkness screens in IMAX theatres ahead of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opens Dec. 14.

The new sequel is written by Prometheus scribe Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, and once again will star Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock). Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Peter Weller and Cumberbatch round out the cast.

The film is due May 17, 2013.

In the meantime, we want to know: Are you excited by the prospect of seeing a younger version of Khan in the new film? Let us know in the comments.

Twitter: @markhdaniell