So, good news if you’re a Star Wars fan. Disney has revealed it has big plans in store for the franchise.
Starting with 2015′s Episode VII, the company is planning a new film every year for at least five years.
Disney made the announcement at CinemaCon earlier today. The plan will see the company alternate between a new trilogy of films being kickstarted by J.J. Abrams and various spinoff pictures.
In February, Disney announced plans for standalone films focusing on a young Han Solo and Boba Fett.
In addition to the Solo and Fett films, Ain’t it Cool reported that a standalone Yoda film is also in the works.
Episode VII will hit theatres in the summer of 2015 along with Avengers 2. So it will definitely be a busy summer for Disney, which owns both properties.
Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) is writing the screenplay for Episode VII, with Empire Strikes Back scribe, Lawrence Kasdan, and Simon Kinsberg (Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: Days of Future Past) writing the other two instalments.
Is this Star Wars overload or movie-going heaven? Let us know what you think in the comments.
Now comes word that Mark Hamill is in talks to reprise his role as Luke Skywalker.
“They’re talking to us,” Hamill said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight. “George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we’d be interested. He did say that if we didn’t want to do it, they wouldn’t cast another actor in our parts – they would write us out. … I can tell you right away that we haven’t signed any contracts. We’re in the stage where they want us to go in and meet with Michael Arndt, who is the writer, and Kathleen Kennedy, who is going to run Lucasfilm.”
Hamill, 61, said he hopes everyone from the original series returns. “I want to make sure that everybody’s on board here, rather than just one.”
He thinks the new films will deal with Skywalker and Solo’s children.
“My character would be sort of in the Obi-Wan range [as] an influential character,” he said.
The veteran actor also gave his stamp of approval on Disney’s planned spinoffs involving Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.
“That’s really smart,” he told ET. “Then you’re more like James Bond pictures, where they come out and it’s not an investment of a three-movie arc.”
Disney’s new Star Wars film will hit theatres in 2015 and will be directed by J.J. Abrams.
So, are you happy that Hamill might return, or will his involvement screw up the relaunch of the franchise? Let us know in the comments.
The news was reported on Fox News Latino by famed movie reporter Umberto ‘El Mayimbe’ Gonzalez.
In a 2010 interview with Peter Travers, Ford said he didn’t think there was a way to “weave” Solo back in to any future films.
He continued adding: “I thought he should have died in the last one… (But) George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”
According to Mayimbe, the deal is done to bring back Ford for the seventh instalment, which will be directed by J.J. Abrams. “It’s just a formality, right now,” he said. “The deal is pretty big…it’s significant.”
Earlier this month, Disney announced it intends to make Han Solo and Boba Fett spin-off films.
According to EW.com, the film focusing on Han Solo will be set between Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope.
The Boba Fett spin-off will take place between Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
So, what do you make of this latest Harrison Ford news? Is it good for the franchise, or are you cringing all over? Let us know in the comments.
After reports surfaced yesterday that J.J. Abrams had agreed to direct Star Wars: Episode VII , Disney and Lucasfilm confirmed the news Friday night.
The official announcement was released online by Lucasfilm, Disney and Abrams.
“It’s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,” said executive producer Kathleen Kennedy. “J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.”
George Lucas added, “I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”
“To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honour,” J.J. Abrams said. “I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.”
Abrams had previously denied any interest in directing the film when it was announced last fall. But his name was in the mix along with Jon Favreau, Matthew Vaughn, David Fincher and, more recently, Ben Affleck.
Star Wars: Episode VII will be written by Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 scribe Michael Arndt.
The film is due in 2015, with Abrams’ Star Trek sequel hitting theatres this May.
So does Abrams’ involvement in Star Wars mean the end of his run in the captain’s chair of the Trek franchise? And, more importantly, does Abrams have the credentials to relaunch Lucas’ revered series? Sound off in the comments below.