Make Canoe my Homepage

J.J. Abrams posts mysterious new teaser trailer

- August 19th, 2013

J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot has just released a mysterious new trailer via its Twitter account.

Titled “Stranger,” the trailer follows a rain-soaked man stumbling around on a beach. Eventually his face is revealed showing a stitched up mouth, and the words “Soon he will know” flash across the screen

“He arrived knowing nothing of himself,” a voice over says. “Who is he? Soon he will know, because what begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. This is what happens when men become lost, when men vanish, men are erased and reborn.”

Abrams is known for keeping his movie plots a closely guarded secret, so the trailer could be for a new film, TV series, NetFlix show or web series. Heck, it could even be a comic book.

Because there is no LucasFilm logo at the front, it’s safe to assume that it is not an advertisement for Star Wars: Episode VII, which Abrams begins filming early next year.

Have a thought on what it could be? Sound off in the comments below.

Harrison Ford to play Han Solo in ‘Star Wars VII’

- February 15th, 2013

Han_Solo_2-600x458

Harrison Ford has reportedly agreed to reprise his role as Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode VII.

The news was reported on Fox News Latino by famed movie reporter Umberto ‘El Mayimbe’ Gonzalez.

In a 2010 interview with Peter Travers, Ford said he didn’t think there was a way to “weave” Solo back in to any future films.

He continued adding: “I thought he should have died in the last one… (But) George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”

According to Mayimbe, the deal is done to bring back Ford for the seventh instalment, which will be directed by J.J. Abrams. “It’s just a formality, right now,” he said. “The deal is pretty big…it’s significant.”

Earlier this month, Disney announced it intends to make Han Solo and Boba Fett spin-off films.

According to EW.com, the film focusing on Han Solo will be set between Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Boba Fett spin-off will take place between Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

So, what do you make of this latest Harrison Ford news? Is it good for the franchise, or are you cringing all over? Let us know in the comments.

It’s official: J.J. Abrams to direct Star Wars: Episode VII

- January 26th, 2013

jj

After reports surfaced yesterday that J.J. Abrams had agreed to direct Star Wars: Episode VII , Disney and Lucasfilm confirmed the news Friday night.

The official announcement was released online by Lucasfilm, Disney and Abrams.

“It’s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,” said executive producer Kathleen Kennedy. “J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.”

George Lucas added, “I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”

“To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honour,” J.J. Abrams said. “I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.”

Abrams had previously denied any interest in directing the film when it was announced last fall. But his name was in the mix along with Jon Favreau, Matthew Vaughn, David Fincher and, more recently, Ben Affleck.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be written by Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 scribe Michael Arndt.

The film is due in 2015, with Abrams’ Star Trek sequel hitting theatres this May.

So does Abrams’ involvement in Star Wars mean the end of his run in the captain’s chair of the Trek franchise? And, more importantly, does Abrams have the credentials to relaunch Lucas’ revered series? Sound off in the comments below.

J.J. Abrams reportedly agrees to direct ‘Star Wars 7′

- January 24th, 2013

J

According to The Hollywood Reporter, J.J. Abrams has agreed to direct Star Wars Episode VII.

Along with Matthew Vaughn, Jon Favreau, Ben Affleck and David Fincher, the Star Trek director was one of the names being bandied around after Disney announced plans for a new trilogy last fall. Abrams even confirmed in an interview last month that he had conversations with producer Kathleen Kennedy about directing the new films, but turned it down.

“[T]here were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things,” he told Empire (via Coming Soon). “I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

Well it appears the force was too much for Abrams to resist, which most likely puts his future involvement with the rebooted Star Trek series in jeopardy.

The deal hasn’t been officially announced, but the film is due in 2015, with Episode VIII and IX following in three-year increments. So, Abrams will have to get cracking soon.

Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) is writing the script, with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg penning the other two.

So, with that settled, what do you think of Abrams as Disney’s Star Wars choice? Good, bad, indifferent? Let us know in the comments.

star_wars

J.J. Abrams had ‘conversations’ about directing ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’

- December 26th, 2012

r

When Disney announced that it was planning a new series of Star Wars films after acquiring the rights from creator George Lucas, the first question on many fans’ minds was: Who is going to write and direct the new trilogy?

J.J. Abrams was at the top of many lists to direct the first instalment after he successfully injected new life into Star Trek and Tom Cruise’s Mission: Impossible series.

Well, it appears fans and movie execs think alike. Abrams was offered the gig, at least in the preliminary stages, but turned it down. The director tells Empire Magazine that he and Star Wars producer Kathleen Kennedy talked about it.

“[T]here were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things,” he told Empire (via Coming Soon). ” I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

That leaves X-Men: First Class helmer Matthew Vaughn as the front-runner to direct Episode VII, which is due out in 2015. Vaughn was tipped in November as an early favourite, and his odds increased after it was announced that Bryan Singer will be behind the camera for the next X-Men film.

The one thing that’s certain are the writers. Oscar-winning Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine), will write Episode VII, with Empire Strikes Back scribe, Lawrence Kasdan, and Simon Kinsberg (Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: Days of Future Past) writing the other two instalments.

Abrams’ upcoming sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness, is set to hit theatres next May.

In the meantime, who do you think should direct Star Wars: Episode VII? Let us know in the comments.