I guess the thinking from J.J. Abrams and Co. is, ‘Leaks be damned.’
After a series of tweets that have shown full-size versions of the Millennium Falcon and X-Wing being built for Star Wars: Episode VII, and Adam Driver in good guy gear, Abrams’ production company, Bad Robot, tweeted out a YouTube video showing the exterior of Han Solo’s famous ship. The brief 37-second clip – titled Hunka Junk – starts off with John Williams’ famous Star Wars theme, before using snippets from Hans Zimmer’s music from Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy. The spot ends with what looks like the Batmobile stuck on the bottom of the Falcon.
This is a none-too-subtle dig at Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder, who has been tweeting photos blaming a Stormtrooper for swiping the Batmobile, and others showing Superman as a Jedi and Batman with R2BIN.
For a guy who is notoriously great at keeping plot details a secret, J.J. Abrams has been faced with a variety of leaks from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII – shooting now in England.
Last week, images from an aviation company showed Han Solo’s Millennium Falcon under construction and an X-Wing Fighter under a tarp. Today, eagle-eyed Twitterers @henricku75 and @JamesDeanGB posted photos of Adam Driver in what looks like an X-Wing pilot uniform.
Until now, the scuttlebutt on the Internet had posited that Driver would be playing a Vader-like villain in Episode VII. So if he’s playing a good guy, then who’s the baddie? Or maybe he starts out good and turns bad a la Anakin Skywalker?
With all these leaks, it doesn’t look like Abrams is going to be able to keep the plot genie in the bottle.
The cast for Star Wars: Episode VII just got a little bit bigger. The upcoming sequel has just added Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o and Game of Thrones’ Gwendoline Christie to its roster.
“I could not be more excited about Lupita and Gwendoline joining the cast of Episode VII,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in an announcement on StarWars.com. “It’s thrilling to see this extraordinarily talented ensemble taking shape.”
Christie, who is currently starring in Game of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth, has also been added to the production.
Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie. WENN.com files
The two newest members join an already announced group that includes newcomers John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow. They will be appearing alongside original trilogy stars Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.
In related news, TMZ has posted the first new photos from the set, including one giant monster.
Turns out directing a fire-breathing monster was good practice for what’s coming next for Gareth Edwards. The man who injected new life into the moribund monster franchise currently stomping out the competition at the box office (at least until X-Men opens this weekend) has been tapped to direct the first stand-alone Star Wars spinoff.
The news, which was announced on StarWars.com Thursday, did not specify the subject matter of the new film but it has been speculated that new spinoffs would focus on the bounty hunter Boba Fett, Yoda or a young Han Solo.
The film will be written by Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli, After Earth).
“Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life — join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm,” Edwards said in a statement.
Whitta, who has also written a video game adaptation of The Walking Dead, added: “From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I’m still pinching myself.”
Prior to directing Godzilla, Edwards’ only directing credit was the indie sci-fi horror Monsters. In a 2010 interview with my colleague Jim Slotek to promote that film Edwards said: “If you’d have asked me when I was 12, I’d have thought I’d have made a film by 22, straight out of university. But that was really naive.”
Godzilla director Gareth Edwards is seen in Toronto, May 15, 2014. (Dave Thomas, QMI Agency)
Last week, when he was in Toronto to promote Godzilla, another colleague Bruce Kirkland asked Edwards about delaying the big reveal. “I’d be more nervous about throwing it in early,” the British filmmaker said. “Because then you’ve spent one of your best cards in your hand. You’re trying to win the game and you’ve got to play it at just the right time.”
Sounds like the Force is strong with this one.
Edwards’ stand-alone Star Wars film will hit theatres Dec. 16, 2016.
After sharing a cast photo during a table read at Pinewood Studios late last month, filming has officially begun on the next Star Wars film. The news was confirmed via director J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Twitter account with a photo that was captioned #dayone. The official Star Wars Twitter account also tweeted a photo with the words, “Officially begun, production has.”