Make Canoe my Homepage

New video surfaces showing all-white Boba Fett

- July 2nd, 2013

boba-650

I’m a sucker for those all-white Miami Heat uniforms. So when I spotted this clip showing an early screen test for Boba Fett sporting some pearly armor, I was sold on the costume alone.

Turns out Joe Johnston’s original concept art included designs for an all-white version of the bounty hunter that tracks Han Solo down in The Empire Strikes Back. Ben Burtt, sound designer on Episode V, introduced the new character in the 1978 clip.

One interesting distinction, that wasn’t included in his final incarnation, was Johnston’s desire to have Fett wear the scalps of all his victims. “It would hang like a pigtail might,” Burtt says. “But these will be locks of hair of various enemies [Fett] has slain in the course of his mercenary duties.”

Burtt highlights various weapons, grappling hooks, projectiles and other characteristics of the prototype costume – all of which are kinda neat. Less cool, is the fact that Fett is using a Star Wars blanket as his cape in the scene. That comes near the end, though.

Take a look and let us know what you think in the comments below.

Harrison Ford ‘open’ to doing ‘Star Wars 7′

- November 6th, 2012

han_solo

It’s been almost 30 years since Harrison Ford appeared as Han Solo in Return of the Jedi, but after Disney announced it is producing a new series of Star Wars films it looks like the actor wants to make a return to his most iconic role.

Entertainment Weekly quotes a “highly placed source” who says that “Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he’s upbeat about it.” As you’ll remember, Ford’s part as Han Solo in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi propelled him on to Blade Runner, the Indiana Jones series and The Fugitive, among others.

The plot line of the upcoming Star Wars sequel is a secret, but when Disney acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion deal last month the deal included “a pretty extensive treatment of the next three movies.”

Creator George Lucas, who had always envisioned the films as a nine-part series, said that his goal was to “pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.” On Monday, Collider reported that Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, Wanted, and X-Men: First Class) was in talks to direct Episode VII.

The news about the planned films didn’t surprise Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy. The actor told Entertainment Weekly last month that Lucas had revealed his plans for the new films to both him and actress Carrie Fisher (who played Princess Leia).

“George did tell us last summer about wanting to go on and do [Episodes] VII, VIII and IX,” Hamill told the magazine.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Ford will be waiting until there is a finished script and director in place before agreeing to reprise the character.

Still also up in the air for the actor is a possible 5th Indy film and the Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner sequel. But given the choice between Doctor Jones, Deckard and Han Solo, I think we know who audiences will choose.

Let us know what you think in the comments below.