Urruti to TFC talk persists in South America

- August 12th, 2013

Toronto FC was supposed to sign him in April.

Then, at the start of summer, TFC president and general manager Kevin Payne mentioned Newell’s Old Boys striker Maximiliano Urruti again.

“We expect to be able to add Urruti, but under a different designation,” Payne told the Sun in June.

August arrived, still nothing. No big signings. No Urruti.

Suddenly, TFC’s very open commentary regarding its 22-year-old Argentine target dried up.

“(We’re) not going to comment on him,” Payne said of Urruti late last week.

South American reporters, however, still were – and continued to this week.

 

Multiple reports Monday stated Urruti is set to ink a two and a half year deal at TFC as early as Tuesday.

Toronto FC didn’t immediately respond to requests with regards to Urruti.

The latest revelations into what’s become somewhat of a soap opera have Urruti currently en route to the city.

In a one-on-one with the Toronto Sun prior to Saturday’s loss to the Seattle Sounders, Payne would only say the club still expects to add multiple important pieces despite the summer transfer window having closed.

“I do expect that we’ll have a couple of significant announcements,” Payne said. “I have no reason to believe we won’t be able to do it.

“We’re going to continue to pursue the players we think can make a difference at our club.

“I can’t get into the specifics right now,” Payne said of potentially signing foreign targets after the transfer deadline.

“In some cases, players are able to get themselves free even though they are very valuable players.”

At this point, even if the Reds finally manage to rope Urruti, it’s unclear if he’ll even be available this season seeing as the window to sign attached players has come and gone.

Categories: Sports

Subscribe to the post

Leave a comment

 characters available