Princess Eugenie is seen here in London in January. (Photo: Will Alexander/WENN.com)
Today is Princess Eugenie’s 22nd birthday.
Eugenie is the daughter of the Duke of York and his former wife, Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York.
Let’s be honest, though. How much do we really know about Eugenie (other than the fact she and her sister made some bad choices when it came to fashion for their cousin’s wedding last year).
So, in celebration of her big day, here are 22 facts about the princess:
1. She is sixth in line for the throne (the second woman behind her sister, Beatrice).
2. She was the first royal baby to have a public christening.
3. Her middle names are Victoria Helena.
4. She attends Newcastle University, where she is studying art history, English and politics.
5. Her first official Royal engagement was in 2008 – she visited a teenage cancer ward at St. James’ Hospital in Leeds. She was there with her mother.
6. She was named after Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria (the current King of Spain is her grandson).
7. She was just two years old when her parents separated.
8. She had surgery when she was 12 to prevent her spinal curvature from getting worse.
9. She plays computer games.
10. In 2008, it was reported she stripped naked with friends at her boarding school and they “frolicked like nymphs” on the lawn.
11. When she was 17, she used to have a MySpace page (didn’t we all?) where she discussed her life in detail, but it has since been shut down.
12. She enjoys photography.
13. Like her cousin, Prince Harry, the tabloids love to cover her nights out on the town and in bars. In 2009 she was criticized for going out until 4 a.m. after the Queen Mother’s memorial.
14. She’s smart – it’s often reported she gets top grades in her classes.
15. She’s known for her fashion sense – but unlike the newest royal (Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge), Eugenie is often criticized for short hemlines and bizarre hats.
16. Her favourite colour is purple.
17. She’s dating 24-year-old waiter Jack Brooksbank. In the past she has been linked to Richard Branson’s nephew, Otto Brockway.
18. When Glee star Chris Colfer met Eugenie and her sister, he invited them to be on the hit show. “The princesses love Glee,” he told The U.K. Sun newspaper.
19. She helped her mother create a documentary about horrendous conditions of orphanages in Turkey. Sarah Ferguson has been charged for secretly filming inside the orphanages, although it’s unlikely she’ll ever return to Turkey to face the charges.
20. She no longer has 24-hour police protection after it was revealed it was costing more than $775,000 annually to keep watch over her and her sister. They now only get protection when attending official royal family events.
21. She loves corn on the cob, hot dogs and donuts.
22. She is not planning any formal role with the royal family in her future. The Queen indicated Eugenie and her sister should find their own careers, although they will likely still partake in some royal duties.