Prince William feeds a five year-old black rhino called Zawadi during a visits to Port Lympne Wild Animal Park in Lympne, southern England, on June 6. (Photo: Chris Jackson/REUTERS)
Today, Prince William turns the big 3-0!
So to celebrate, let’s look at 30 interesting facts about our future king:
1. He was born at 9:03 p.m. on June 21, 1982. He weighed 7lb 1 1/2oz.
2. His full name is Prince William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor.
3. He almost dropped out of university. He ended up switching his major from art history to geography.
4. He has a love for Africa.
5. He enjoys going to the movies, or seeing friends at the pub (his wild partying days out at the clubs until the wee hours of the morning appear to be behind him).
6. He enjoys playing soccer and is a runner. He also enjoys swimming, rugby, and skiing.
7. He worked on a dairy farm during his “gap” year — the year between high school and university.
8. In the military, he is known as Flight Lieutenant William Wales.
9. Some recent books have claimed Kate Middleton wasn’t Prince William’s first love, and that he proposed to Jecca Craig, the daughter of a Kenyan wildlife reserve owner. He proposed to Kate in Kenya in 2010.
10. When he was 13, he had a major crush on supermodel Cindy Crawford. His mom invited her to tea.
11. He was known as his royal naughtiness because he often misbehaved as a child. There is a photo of him sticking out his tongue and a flower girl during Prince Andrew’s 1986 wedding.
12. On June 3, 1991, he was rushed to the hospital after he was accidentally hit in the head with a golf club by a friend. He had to undergo surgery and suffered a depressed fracture of the skill. He now has a scar on his forehead.
13. Forget being king – he wanted to become a police officer when he was a child.
14. On his wedding day, he drove his father’s prized Aston Martin away from Buckingham Palace. It was later revealed he drove the whole way with the handbrake on.
15. Perhaps he’ll have some to celebrate his 30th birthday – his favourite dessert is chocolate biscuit cake.
16. He is distantly related to his wife – they have a common ancestor in Sir Thomas Leighton.
17. His childhood nickname was Wombat.
18. He was reportedly the first royal baby to wear disposable diapers.
19. He’s left-handed.
20. On his wedding day, he didn’t just become the Duke of Cambridge. The other official titles given to him by the Queen were The Earl of Strathearn and The Baron of Carrickfergus.
21. He was 15 when his mother died in Aug. 1997.
22. He is a search and rescue pilot with the Royal Air Force. It was reported two days after officially announcing his engagement to Kate, he saved the life of a man suffering chest pains and stuck in the mountains. On May 29, he qualified as an operational search and rescue captain.
23. In an interview after his engagement was announced, he admitted he was a terrible cook.
24. He was named after his father’s cousin, Prince William of Gloucester. That Prince William died in a plane crash in Aug. 1972 during an amateur race.
25. He once taught children in southern Chile as part of the U.K.-based Raleigh International program.
26. While at university, his friends referred to him as Steve so any journalists overhearing conversations wouldn’t know who they were talking about.
27. He rides a motorcycle – a Ducati 1198 S Corse.
28. He is a descendant of William the Conqueror.
29. His university degree is in geography.
30. He’s most often spotted drinking a beer when out with friends, but there were media reports he enjoys a drink called crack baby, which is a shot made with fresh passion fruit mixed with vodka and champagne.