Ever wonder how Bob McKenzie rose to hockey-insider fame? The guys at Stick Tap TV claim to have the scoop.
And they’ve shared their insight in a parody video named “How to be an NHL insider – Infomercial“.
As expected with any kind of spoof, the video is goofy, using selling points like “‘How to be a Hockey insider’ can get you from Twitter Zero to Internet Hero faster than you can say Jamie Langenbrunner!”
Hockey “insiders” — the Bob McKenzie’s and Nick Kypreos’ of the media world — are paid to provide exclusive information to the masses. They’re supposed to be in-the-know more than anybody else.
Although the fake infomercial plays off the increase of illegitimate insider accounts, the real guys are generally highly regarded. McKenzie, Kypreos and McKenzie’s colleagues at TSN, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun, consistently crack The Hockey News’ annual People of Power and Influence list.
According to the video, here’s five easy tasks to tackle if you’re looking to dethrone an insider:
- name your blog something ridiculous
- create a Twitter account that tweets nothing but rumours
- eavesdrop on conversations at the rink, and then tweet about it
- start a “totally legit” podcast
- check in with your sources (but don’t really, since it’s the internet)
Now, get to work.