Make Canoe my Homepage

Oilers’ Ben Scrivens rips our reporter for blogging about his wife

- January 17th, 2014

[UPDATE FROM THE WRITER: People need to take a step back and realize that Mr. and Mrs. Scrivens are in the public eye. Ben Scrivens is an entertainer. Yes, professional sports are entertainment. Scrivens is more or less a celebrity, which means his entire life is in the spotlight, which means his family is, too. If you’re active on Twitter, as Jenny is, you open yourself up to criticism, whoever you are. This is a blog, a public forum, comedy. Not a news story. Thanks for reading.]

@KurtLarSUN

—-

Ben Scrivens is pissed.

Not because he got lit up in his Edmonton Oilers debut, losing 4-1 in Minnesota.

And not because he’s been traded twice in less than a year, first to L.A. then to Alberta.

No, he’s pissed at us. That’s right, this very blog.

Referencing my colleague, the Oilers netminder went off Thursday night, hurling insults in a five-post twitter rant in defence of his wife.

A day earlier, we wrote about how Scrivens’ wife, Jenny, often complained about Canadian winters.

After all, according to her Twitter account, she “paid her dues for three years” while her hubby played for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Such a hard life, we know.

So, we had a bit of fun with Mrs. Scrivens, taking a playful jab at her after Ben was traded to Edmonton earlier this week.

As you can see, Ben wasn’t happy.

After finding out about @AVPreports, he defended his wife.

Screen shot 2014-01-17 at 8

CHECK OUT JENNY’S TWEETS HERE …

In response to Scrivens publicly lashing out, our guy sent back the following response as the story went viral Thursday into Friday morning.

1. glenn morris | January 17, 2014 at 10:44 am

Are you actually calling out someone for saying the weather is better in SOCAL? Based on the weather, who wouldn’t want to live in LA than TO?

2. steven | January 17, 2014 at 10:44 am

I would be upset too with you guys!!! Ya morons!!!!

3. Bryan L | January 17, 2014 at 10:47 am

Hey Kirtis Larson, Did you even watch the game before posting that he got lit up? He made some great saves to keep them in it and the poor defence infront of him cost 3 of the 4 goals. Maybe you should keep your feelings out of it when writing stories. I for one think it was poor class to be posting about an athletes wife when she had said nothing bad about the trade, even though she is leaving her home town again. Guess when you get traded from the “home” team your fair game to bash even if he didn’t ask to be traded. So glad I’m not a leaf fan

4. Laffster | January 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

Give the man a crying towel. Yeech, so touchy touchy. Does he think his wife can make tweets about whatever she feels like and no one is supposed to comment, or offer their opinion or disagree with her remarks. C’mon Ben, you gotta grow up, you live in the big boys world now. If you can take anything so lame as these comments, what’ll you do when the real big crap hits the fan and slams you in the kisser…have a heart attack…go into spasms. Gee guy, relax, smell the roses. Take a deep deep breath.

5. Don | January 17, 2014 at 10:59 am

Why would you think it’s acceptable to write about his wife and then act all pious when the player ACTUALLY responds in defence of her? Get your head out of your asses and stick to the players themselves. They are the ones who can deal with reporters and should…their families should be off limits, ALWAYS! I miss the old days when there seemed to be some honour in journalism…not this “deadspin, Gawker or Buzzfeed” approach you guys have taken lately!

6. Jeff Hodgson | January 17, 2014 at 10:59 am

The press have the power to target anyone, this time they decided to bully Ben Scrivens and his wife, I bet they could find a way to embarrass anyone, but should they? I’ll try to get my news from a more reputable source from now on. Shame on you.

7. The Mac | January 17, 2014 at 11:15 am

Typical Fish hack journalism. The only people that think your job is important is you.

8. Guest | January 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

Your blog is a joke, comparable to the joke that is TMZ. Get a life and a real job you nit wits.

9. Chris | January 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

Not acceptable at all. Laffster if that was your wife I’m sure you would’ve done the same thing. If not, shame on you. Very uncalled for actions by the Edmonton Sun reporter and the fact they don’t apologize, but rather make another comment towards Scrivens and his play is gutless. Class up Sun reporters!!

10. Deporter | January 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

I totally agree with Scrivens. Comment all you want about the player’s play, leave the families out of it. I understand that people in this city are passionate about being Edmontonians ( I am one of them), but think about how Scrivens wife feels, she has to uproot her life and move. Just because they have money doesn’t make them not have feelings or change the fact that her life is having a significant direction change. Similar thing happend with Eakins when kids and parents were commenting to his kids at school, it makes me embarrassed to be associated with the so called oilers fans when crap like that happens. Those type of comments are usually made by people who watch or go to 2 games a year and feel that they have the right to comment on something that they know absolutely nothing about.

11. Joe Parky | January 17, 2014 at 11:43 am

I agree players should be in the spot lights NOT wife or kids.
    So my thumb goes down for the article by Kurtis Larson.

12. James | January 17, 2014 at 11:53 am

I’m with Scrivens 100%.. the “he got lit up” and “such a hard life, we know” lines give even further evidence of the personal, biased, and unprofessional nature of this blog’s ‘journalism’.
    There also seems to be an inferiority complex at play here, otherwise you should understand why a woman enjoying life in LA would not be thrilled with having to move to Edmonton of all places.
    Ben is letting you know it’s not okay to go after his wife, even if there’s a somewhat humorous intent to it. How can you expect any other outcome?

13. Will | January 17, 2014 at 11:54 am

To the people who are saying “Shame on you, you should only talk about the players, not the families”, like it or not, you can’t separate the families from the players. Need I remind you of the massive “Game Changer” in hockey (even before people were saying “game changer”) that was Gretzky leaving the Oilers for LA essentially because his wife allegedly said “Edmonton or me, choose”.

Granted, Scrivens isn’t Gretzky (that’s not meant as an insult, nobody can be Gretzky – even Crosby with his superior talent doesn’t look like he’ll even match Gretzky, but who knows?), but if he ends up pulling a Vince Carter or Chris Bosh (i.e., tanking on purpose to get traded) – not that he would, but who knows – then you bet that would be a valid sports story.

14. Don | January 17, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Apparently Will is probably a conspiracy theorist because it was proven WAY back then and basically not even seen as an issue anymore, that Gretzky was moved b/c of Pocklington’s inability to manage his money well. Had nothing to do with his wife…but if that is what allows you to sleep well at night, just ignore my comment. Secondly, even IF it were true…why would the actions of an even that happened in 1988 to a hockey SUPERSTAR justify the TMZish style reporting of a terrible GMI Agency ‘blogger’.

15. Rick | January 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I TOTALLY support the media on this. I’s very simple folks, if you value your privacy and don’t want to be heckled on the internet then there’s a very very simple solution……..DON’T POST PERSONAL INFO OR STUPID COMMENTS ON THE INTERNET!!!! Problem solved.

Professional athletes and their families are pampered crybabies. Man if I was offered 10% of Scrivens salary I would go to Siberia and shovel snow all day and have a huge smile on my face doing so.

If people think that athletes care about the game, then think again. It’s all about the $$$$$$$$ face reality and stop being gullible.

16. Grunt | January 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm

When he played in Torono Scrivens appeared to be a wonderful indiividual and a great interview. He has a great sense of humour (even at his own expense) and is very straightforward. He was one of those guys you wished the best for when he left “your” team. To see him bent out of shape certainly gives me the impression that the reporter crossed that “what’s allowable” line in the sand. And to mention that he was “lit up”? To anyone who follows the game it was apparent Scrivens was abandoned on most of the goals. I’m backing Ben on this matter.

17. Mclick | January 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm

The Sun needs to focus on celebrity gossip and stay out of sports writing. I don’t blame the guy for being upset, I would and I would lash out if my wife was bashed…whether the team likes it or not.

I agree with a comment above in that if the Sun wants to comment about the player and his performance or anything sports related, go hard. Seriously leave the guys family out of it and show some respect. I don’t think the Sun writers would appreciate readers looking up information about their families and posting things about them.

Respect – Look up the definition.

18. Will | January 17, 2014 at 12:29 pm

@Rick Me too! Of course my wife might not be too crazy about us and the kids going to Siberia, but for more than enough to retire on, sure, I’d do it for 10% of Scrivens’ salary! :-)

@Don I can go for the occasional conspiracy theory (like, where did those blasted crop circles come from and why aren’t there any tire tracks? ;-) ) but anyway, I’d heard the Mrs. Gretzky story “on the grapevine” and with her being an actress and model from LA, it was more than plausible enough. So what you’re basically saying is Pocklington was a tightwad and LA offered more money than Pock was willing to pony up. That makes sense too, so fine, I can believe that too.

19. nokohe | January 17, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Another trash attack by the National Enquirer North(Sun).
    Writing a column or tweet attacking a players wife or family is reprehensible crap journalism.
    Kurtis Larson is just another bag of s**t.

20. Daryl | January 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Why bring up the players wife in the first place? What does she have to do with the fact he was traded? Lets start talking about your wife? What does she do? How does she like living with you? I bet she thinks your a moron too!

21. Dave | January 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Her comments were not stupid, nor were they anything other than a person living her life, in the moment, in the context of that moment. An unprofessional hack writer then comes and spins them to the direction he wishes with his agenda. That is not worthy of a paycheck – we all know that. It has no place in professional media, but one only has to look at the rate at which media types are getting laid off to know that the media feels they have to spin things for dramatic effect to garner an audience to induce ad sales. The trouble with that thinking is that it winds up turning us off due to pettiness and unprofessionalism: if you’re going to fall to the std of social media, why would we pay or view your site and support you when we can get the same BS song and dance, sad, sad writing from my 16 yr old niece?

22. Eric | January 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I have got to say that this is pretty sad. Sad that this is all you have to write about. My apologies for to the Scriven’s family on behalf of sensible Edmontonians. I would have done the same thing (as Ben did) if somebody did a smear of my wife as well. Let’s grow up here people and treat others with respect and write about things that matter, for goodness sakes we all complain about the weather, never mind if you are from California. GEESH.

23. Joe | January 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Man.. scrivens makes 550 a year. After 38 % thats what.. 400? yep.. lots of money by normal standards but he’s under even the league average. Sure its a great life but you’d be silly to think that he ( cornell honors grad) would not be able to make atleast half that if he got a job in the “real world”. He grew up in Edmonton.. played junior hockey in Alberta then went on a scholly. Yep.. he’s a pampered pious athlete for sure! signed a 2 year deal for 1.25 mill. WOW. Half the people in alberta make more than that working in the oil patch!
    The writer who went after her is not a writer at all. He’s a blogger. There’s a difference. Blogging and websites like this are a joke. Just meant to write sensationalistic stuff to try and get more viewers to sell more ads to make more money for the big wigs. Whats more dissapointing is the tonque in cheek response that this Adam Larson wrote. So if Scrivens being pissed off wasnt enough.. adam couldnt leave it at that. ” Gets traded twice in a year.. and got lit up” quips… well done Mr Larson! What internet power you have!.. Really Adam? Show a wee bit of class and use that 2 year journalism diploma to better use than taking pot shots at guys who HAVE made it somewhere.. NOT just writing blog shots for 400 beans an article. Or do you guys get paid by the word nowadays?
    Its responses like this where you forget to keep your emotions out of it.. and maintain some level of professionalism that keep you on CANOE. CA. Congrats. Here’s to 26 G a year .

24. Lisa | January 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Just wanted to say welcome to Edmonton. The city will grow on you and even though our paths will probably never meet, don’t get discouraged by this incident. We are very friendly and warm people here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

25. Mona | January 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Most guys who wanna to play professional sports don’t have the athletic ability or determination to get there so they become journalist who write about it. Some are very good at it then there are some who can’t even do that well, you’re one them!

26. Sen Bcrivens | January 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Kurtis- you’re a 2-bit joke of a “reporter” that works for a newspaper one rung up from the “National Enquirer”. The fact that you feel it necessary to pull more attention to this issue is reprehensible and clearly demonstrates your only concern is that of publicity.

It doesn’t suprise me that writers of your calibre will fall into the “publicity for the sake of publicity” mantra. It must be difficult to come up with any worthwhile material when you have the intelligence and abilities of a 5th grade class clown.

I hope you’ve been saving 10% of more of that embarassing pay cheque because if there is one thing that all parties involved can be sure of, it’s that in a few years you’ll be lining up in the unemployment line to receive handouts largely funded by wealthy Canadians like Ben Scrivens.

27. Rick the Hab Fan | January 17, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Well, well, Sticking together are we ? So it just makes you all a bunch of make-believe jousnalists. Sorry, columnists. Journalists report news and facts. They don’t make up crisis to justify their pay.

28. Erick | January 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

@Rick – that’s ridiculous. She shouldn’t have to censor herself for fear of having her casual comments posted in some sort of spin article. We all make ourselves vulnerable in this age of social media. It doesn’t mean that we ‘deserve’ to be taken advantage of though. The analogy in hockey, is when a player is facing the boards and a checker approaches. The puck-carrier is in a vulnerable position, and the checker can make choice to hit him from behind, in the numbers, or not. If you respect your opponent, you probably choose not to. Not because it’s illegal per se, but out of respect. We constantly leave ourselves vulnerable to strangers in all facets of our lives, because there is a basic expectation of trust and respect. I’d call this a dirty and unnecessary hit by this outlet.

29. Mark | January 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Rick, you would move to Siberia and shovel snow for $55,000?

Like Don and others have pointed out, THIS is what is considered “reporting” now-a-days. Very sad. Any fan (I would assume @AVPreorts is?) of the Oilers would welcome a new player and his family. I agree what Mrs. Scrivens said in tweets upon returning to LA seems a bit vain but I see no reason to publicly call her out on it, especially since none of them were targeted towards Edmonton. The only tweet she made about Edmonton (and didn’t even mention it by name) is that she’s excited to go there.

Way to show some terrible colors @AVPreorts. All this does is puts a dark mark on Edmonton (for players thinking of coming here) and it’s true respected reporters.

30. Rick | January 17, 2014 at 1:39 pm

@ Joe. If “half of the people in Alberta were making more than 1.25 mil in the oil patch” then sign me up! If that were true don’t you think ALL of Canada would be heading there now fighting over jobs? get real dude, that is total BS and you know it. The average Canadian family makes roughly 80k a year, it’s a far cry from nearly 10x that of Scrivens salary for playing a freaking game no less, and don’t you think Scrivens won’t get a huge raise of a couple mil in the next few years? bank on it.

Bottom line and I say again, if you value your privacy then stop posting on the freaking internet. It boggles the mind when I see people put their kids pictures, their address or phone number on Facebook or twitter etc and expect it to be safe. If you do then be prepared to pay the price. There is no shortage of freaks & crooks on the net. Smarten up and protect yourself and your family.

@Mr. Larson!, keep up the good work. Good on you for exercising your freedom of speech.

@ Scrivens, grow some thicker skin dude. You’re a pro athlete in the limelight, either man up or choose a different career like an accountant or something. No one will notice you then or care, I promise ;)

31. Mondo Bizarro | January 17, 2014 at 1:48 pm

If someone (anyone) posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram et al, it’s public, and fair game. Period. Was the comment about weather by Scrivens’ wife fair game for a blogger? When I read it first, I chuckled. However, the weather comment was NOT about Edmonton, and the blogger’s use of it to imply that she was not happy about coming to Edmonton was perhaps inappropriate. BUT I think Scrivens needs to have a bit of a thicker skin… if he doesn’t want his wife’s twitter feed used in a public forum, that’s too bad. She made the public comments, and EVERYONE is entitled to comment on them. Put it on Facebook, make it private, and then complain if a reporter/blogger re-posts private comments.

I do feel sorry for her having to go to Alberta, especially with the winter they’ve had this year. I’d rather be in LA any day, but especially when it’s 40 below with 3 feet of snow!

32. Paul | January 17, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Mr. Scrivens has done an excellent job of proving something that I have long observed, with an absolutely perfect example. For whatever members of the media say about how thin-skinned other segments of society are, there is no more thin-skinned group than the press and media generally. You better not fight back, because they will always have the last word. They don’t know how to react when someone has the courage to call them on their unacceptable behaviour. They insist on the rights of the press to free speech, and then nail somebody who exercises those same rights. They can dish it out big time but can’t take it. It is called a bully mentality.

33. Jeff | January 17, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Scrivens is right on the ball with this. The spouse is off limits. It’s gutless and bottom feeding. Would Tony have said these comments to Ben or his wife’s face? If he wouldn’t, then he shouldn’t hide behind a keyboard and say this sort of stuff.

34. alex | January 17, 2014 at 3:20 pm

BIG BEN

35. Kurtis Larson | January 17, 2014 at 3:28 pm

36. John | January 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm

this blogger is a loser and a bum.

37. Jimmy | January 17, 2014 at 3:56 pm

“This is a blog, a public forum, comedy.”

This is barely a blog, and — news flash — you’re not funny, Kurtis.

Way to bully a woman. Jag-off.

38. Rick | January 17, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Well at least you’re honest in letting the people know what this blog is. It’s a comedy! A joke. I get it now, you guys are just clowns. Hey maybe you fellas should leave this harsh winter wonderland and head down to LA yourselves. Maybe you clowns get get a job writing for sitcoms. Maybe TMZ is hiring. You guys!! LOL :D

39. Johnnie Walker | January 17, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Kurtis,
    You claim to be a journalist.
    Anthony claims to be a journalist.
    But, apparently, you don’t want everything you publish to be considered journalism.
    You want to hide behind semantics about the type of internet media negating whether your writing should be taken seriously, or not.
    I do not agree with your stance.
    Cheers.

40. Alex | January 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

The winters may be tough, but at least we don’t have to watch our McMansions go up in flames like they are in Los Angeles. Winter or Wild Fires, which do you prefer? Twitter is for morons in general and media treating tweets like ‘news’ is even worse. People who subscribe to twitter are still stuck in junior high. Both sides in this ‘argument’ need to grow up and most importantly, GET A LIFE.

41. Mona | January 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

It’s called Internet Bullying!
    Usually done by immature children, the difference here is it’s being done by grown men who are so called sport journalists. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

42. OWEN | January 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Did you post this thinking people were actually going to take your side? You guys took a shot at his wife and fired back, stop acting all high and might. Scrivens is in the right here. This is a joke.

43. Mona | January 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

It’s called Internet Bullying!

44. Jeff | January 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

We love our hockey team and they are trying to make it better, if the Oilers are able to sign some talent to come to our winter city, we want to make them feel welcome, anything else and you will feel the backlash. Comedy or not.

45. richard | January 17, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Another garbage bag of crap story. Find something to write about that is not useless and demeaning.

46. richard | January 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Why write crap? Oh sorry that’s all you know!

47. Chris | January 17, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I think this Tony guy is from Toronto? I’m not 100% sure. Terrible article but I don’t think it was an Edmonton reporter that wrote it. Just some hack from somewhere else.

48. Cody | January 18, 2014 at 12:41 am

Why don’t you just man up and apologize? In my mind, you’re all a bunch of idiots.

49. Pat | January 18, 2014 at 6:49 am

Classless reporting from one of the SUN (National Enquirer??) Newspaper reporters….What?…culdnt bring yourself to report something positive ?? Just negative garbage

50. Paul | January 18, 2014 at 8:27 am

Congrats to all Edmontonions and others who realize that this goof is just that…. a goof and a classless fool.

51. Kurt Laughson | January 18, 2014 at 9:52 am

“People need to take a step back and realize that Mr. and Mrs. Scrivens are in the public eye. Ben Scrivens is an entertainer. Yes, professional sports are entertainment. Scrivens is more or less a celebrity, which means his entire life is in the spotlight. If you’re active on Twitter, as Jenny is, you open yourself up to criticism, whoever you are. This is a blog, a public forum, comedy. Not a news story. Thanks for reading.”

In other words, you were deluded into thinking people might support you and not one single person does so now it was just a blog post not to be taken seriously. Well, you were half right.

52. ryguy | January 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

Taking a shot at a player for playing poorly is fair game. Taking a shot at his wife is not. Classless journalism.

53. Phil Schlenker | January 18, 2014 at 10:34 am

Why don’t you judge the guy by his product on the ice? This is what the media and the public should be doing. Leave his family out of it. His family is his castle, as is a man’s home. If he has a bad game, write about it, leave it at that.

54. Montanaandy | January 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Nice try attempting to extricate yourself Larson but no dice. A players family should always be off limits – they absolutely are not “public figures” unlike the player. The fact that she has a Twitter account does not change things.

55. Bobknows | January 20, 2014 at 10:27 am

Writing about a Hockey Player’s wife… why stop there…? does Ben have children? Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what they are thinking. If they are on the internet or tweeting they must be fair game also… right?

That really shows what is so inherently wrong with most bloggers… most have no ethics (duh… what’s that?), sketchy knowledge of the subject at best and worse of all… little if any relevance.

56. DGA | January 20, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I read the initial blog on Scriven’s wife and thought it was an incredibly stupid and amateurish blog that a kid in Junior High (or TMZ) might write. You were unprofessional and came off as a lame hack. It had absolutely nothing to do with “real” hockey and you obviously just couldn’t come up with anything original to write about.

57. Scrivens Fan | January 22, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I guess since you are writers, you also are in the public eye. How would you like someone going through your significant others’ or kids’ Twitter posts, stringing a bunch of out-of-context ones together, and post them as an article calling said significant others a “big loser.” I’m guessing you would not like it, either.

What you did was dumb, unprofessional and not news. Take some responsibility, apologize for offending, and move on.