Make Canoe my Homepage

GRAPHIC WARNING: LNAH player suffers one of the worst cuts you’ll see

- December 9th, 2013
mnew650

Photo by Roger Gagnon

The horror on his brother’s face is akin to something you’d see in a war zone.

In truth, Sebastien Courcelles’ mangled face looks like it has been ripped to bits by a piece of shrapnel.

The captain of LNAH club Isothermic de Thetford Mines suffered one of the worst cuts in recent memory over the weekend after taking a skate to his face, leaving a bloody gash from lip to ear.

Our affiliate in Quebec, Le Journal de Quebec, said Courcelles was helped off the ice by his brother, Simon, before leaving the arena.

He remained stable in hospital, according to the report, but it was unclear if simple stitches were used to close the wound or if surgery was required.

Prior to Saturday’s injury, the 29-year-old forward had registered 14 points (10 goals, four assists) through 16 games this season while accumulating 104 penalty minutes.

angle6450

Photo by Roger Gagnon

1. None | December 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

Clint Malarchuk’s skate to the NECK is by far the worst ever seen in hockey. While this is grusome, and in a horrible place, the neck still wins as the worst… for whatever kind of win that’s worth.

2. Jim | December 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

No,watch tsn on Clint malarchuk,buffalo sabres,late 80′s or so!

3. franz | December 9, 2013 at 12:01 pm

borje salming cut to face in the 80′s

4. GeorgeB | December 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Malarchuk was worse.

5. Will | December 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I’m with Jim. I’ll just say that it’s the worst hockey injury where someone did NOT die.

If you want to know what happened, look up his Wiki. If you want to SEE what happened, it’s probably on YouTube somewhere, if you dare. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Come to think of it, the Wiki says it is probably the most gruesome injury on all of professional sports. Period. I agree.

So although this is pretty ugly, it’s a ‘piker’ in comparison.

6. Will | December 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm

PS Jim, damn you for reminding me about this, now I’m going to be sick dammit. ;-(

7. Siv | December 9, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Clint Malarachuks (sabres goalie from 80′s) had his throat slit open. Easily the worst ever.

8. Steve | December 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I agree Jim, besides cutting his throat the reports from the team were that the only reason Clint survived the cut was due to it happening in the third period so his net was closer to his bench so the trainers and medics could get to him quicker.

9. Mike | December 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm

REALLY! Is it a slow news day? Do we need to see this?

10. Daren | December 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

When I was reading this I immediately thought of Malarchuk and Salming.

I thought I recalled that the reason he didn’t die was because the doctor was at the zamboni door at his end of the rink. I could be wrong.

Didn’t Malarchuk have some mental health issues to deal with after this epsiode?

11. Qman | December 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm

It was the protective neck plate that cut malarchuck’s neck as he fell back, the plastic plate is meant to stop pucks but it actually slice him up. Th reason he did not die was the the zamboni doors were behind the net and made it so that it saved valuable time.
    There really must be no news!

12. Travis | December 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm