Make Canoe my Homepage

Mike Commodore smears Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos following NYC Marathon

- November 4th, 2013

sports_commodore_COL

From where we’re sitting, NHLer-turned-KHLer Mike Commodore is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, somewhere between the North Korean-Chinese border in the eastern Siberian city of Vladivostok.

As a result, it appears the former NHL journeyman, who now suits up for the KHL’s Admiral Vladivostok, has some time on his hands.

Maybe too much time.

Commodore took to Twitter Monday afternoon in a mini smear campaign against Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.

Apparently, the 33-year-old Commodore was entertained by the fact Kypreos finished behind Oprah at Sunday’s New York City Marathon in a very pedestrian time of four hours and 43 minutes.

Upon hearing the news, @commie22 couldn’t help himself, even when Kypreos’s co-worker came to his aid.

Warning: Graphic language

1. Brian C | November 4, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Quite obvious that Mike Commodore is missing life in North America, but still no excuse for being a jerk.

2. BB | November 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I tried to find Mr. Commodore’s marathon results, but I couldn’t find any. If he hasn’t finished a marathon himself, he should refrain from denigrating anyone else’s performance. (from a 4-time marathon finisher)

3. funguy114 | November 4, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Like him or no, he’s got a point. A former “Premier Athlete” that spouts pointed commentary about other current and former players has got to face up to the fact it WAS embarrasing! I mean just the mental image of him not being able to beat Oprah in a footrace!?

4. MS | November 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm

What’s funny is that 4:43 is a very respectable time for a marathon. Most runners (incl myself who has run 5 & 10km races) would find it very difficult to beat that time, IF, I could even run that distance (42.2km)! Unless I see you’re good enough to get off the 2nd or 3rd pairing in the KHL I wouldn’t talk too much there Mr.Commodore – and if you happen to make it back to North America, I’ll be waiting to see what YOUR time is in the New York marathon in your mid-age!

5. Joseph | November 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Atta BOY Comm! Spoken like a true Russian!

6. Pragmatic | November 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm

What I find amazing is that Commodore managed to convince several NHL coaches that he was worth keeping around after training camps broke! Even once!

7. Mondo Bizarro | November 4, 2013 at 9:36 pm

4:43 is NOT a respectable time for a former pro athlete… he is only 47. I am 57, and my last marathon time was 3:39. I’ve never been a pro athlete. Yes, marathon’s are tough – I usually run 10k races. But c’mon – no self respecting athlete should finish behind Oprah who is almost 60!!!

8. Aphid262 | November 6, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I always thought ‘C’mon, anyone, especially a trained athlete, could beat Oprah’s time!’…apparently, I had no clue what I was thinking!