Make Canoe my Homepage

Oilers’ Scrivens blasts fan who threw jersey onto the ice

- March 23rd, 2014

You don’t mention Ben Scrivens’ wife or family.

My colleague and I know that all too well, remember?

And, as the Edmonton Oilers goalie told reporters following Saturday night’s 8-1 shellacking by the Calgary Flames, you also don’t disrespect his club’s sweater.

Scrivens, who conceded three goals on 15 shots in the game, took issue with a fan who tossed an Oilers sweater onto the ice during a stoppage in play.

He skated over, hooked it with his stick and hurled it back into the crowd before lecturing listeners on crowd etiquette post-game.

“I’m from (Edmonton),” he said. “You’re not just disrespecting guys in the room you’re disrespecting guys who wore the jersey before us … Messier, Gretzky, they all take pride in wearing that jersey.”

It’s not the Canadian flag, Ben. It’s not like someone is stomping all over the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Still, he persisted.

“You’re a fan, you get to say and do whatever you want, call me whatever name you want, but when it comes to that logo, that’s a sacred thing for us. It’s disheartening for me to see our fans treat it that way.”

In other words, sit down and take it, Edmonton.

Your team might be terrible – the worst, actually – but throwing a jersey on the ice crosses a line.

Never mind the fact the Oilers are 20 points out of the final wildcard spot in the West.

Yes, that’s sarcasm you’re beginning to smell.

And, yes, it’s about time Scrivens starts focusing on something other than blasting media and calling out justifiably disgruntled fans.

1. TA | March 23, 2014 at 5:21 pm

The team should just fold. Do they even care about how terrible they actually are? I WAS an Oilers fan once a long time ago. The present team has forced me to give up on what I once thoroughly enjoyed. Lets go Baseball………………..

2. RG | March 23, 2014 at 6:05 pm

most teams tank a year or two, get drafts, rebuild, and shoot to the top. How many years in a row at the bottom can Edmonton go before things turn around?!?

3. Mark | March 23, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Ben needs to remember the fact that the fans pay his over inflated salary!When you pay as much as we have to for the stinking jersey, not to mention ticket, you can throw it on the ice if you want!

4. Lee Horsman | March 23, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Scrivens is right, he gets it. No wonder the Oilers traded him in. Real fans NEVER bail out on their team, no matter what happens.
    But try explaining that to a Flames fan, they don’t even look at the TV screen unless the one-cup wonders score a goal. That’s because they don’t know squat about hockey, they are just homers.
    Same province, different universe.

5. Greg | March 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm

The current team AND MANAGEMENT (sic) are disrespecting the team, the history and the game with embarrassing games like this, and the 8 year slump.
    LOWE MUST GO!…and take Macz with him.

6. Paul | March 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Finally, a player on the Oilers gets vocal and shows some leadership!!! You media are ridiculous. One minute the team lacks leadership, is too passive. Then, a player shows some passion and pride, and voices an opinion, and you blast him for it.

7. Sharky | March 23, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Let’s Go Rush! At least there is one good team in town.

8. Mark | March 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I’m not a die hard Oiler’s fan, so maybe it’s a little different for me, but I don’t think that any professional team should be sold out by their fans like that. They’re having a hard time and they’ve been in a slump for years, but no one likes losing, and no one likes being blown out.

Players are trying and doing what they can, and it’s not working so something has to change. What doesn’t change though is a fans loyalty to their team. If you’re that close to giving up on your team just stay home and yell at the TV, it will save you and your team the public embarrassment

9. DE | March 23, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Somewhere, somebody knows why Edmonton has been non-competitive for so long. The average fan such as myself thinks he knows, but doesn’t. All I know is the Oilers are at or near the bottom again. I pay to watch good competitive hockey and that is not happening, year after year.
    If I see another effort like last nite it will be the last time I put myself thru that kind of torture again. They do not deserve my support.

10. Matt | March 24, 2014 at 12:25 am

Ben, oilers, and yes media too, listen up. Until you are in the same boat as the fans who pay large amounts of your income to purchase your product, you don’t have the right to dictate anything. If we want to boo, or rip our jerseys, or accept mediocre hockey, or throw a party for the worst player on the ice, none of that is your business quite frankly. I think both the players & media have become a bit full of themselves and forgotten their elite status in society to be paid a decent salary to play or report on a freakin’ sport! You don’t get to tell me or the other paying fans what to do or how to think!

11. Brad | March 24, 2014 at 4:17 am

Wow, Lee, you sound bitter. This is NOT about the Flames.

Oh well, I gave up on the NHL after the last pathetic display of greed (players and owners) and the clowns (fans) that make it happen. You, Lee.

You guys need to pull your #1 $ from this #5 league.

12. Scott Segal | March 24, 2014 at 5:25 am

He’s just trying to impress his coach, everyone knows Eakins went ape shit the last time a uni was tossed on the ice.

13. Tony | March 24, 2014 at 11:09 am

I find it so hypocritical that players call out paying customers for disrespecting the logo with a sweater toss but do not recognize they have been disrespecting that logo with their play. In my way of thinking their play is more disrespecting of past glory (logo) then any amount of sweater tossing. What will be shown in the future number of sweaters tossed or the embarrassing record of this team. How many 1st overall pics does a team need.

14. Ontario Boy | March 24, 2014 at 11:23 am

@ Lee Horsman. “…(Flames fans) don’t know squat about hockey”.

What a ridiculous statement! I lived in Alberta (mainly Edmonton) for many years and, if anything, I found the reverse to be true. Many Edmonton fans only know/care about what happens within their own barren little realm. You have to feel bad for them, though. It’s really all they have. Sad.

15. Mark | March 24, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I love how any time there’s a story bashing the Oilers some fan has to take a swing at Flames fans and bring up the number of Cups the team has won. I think it’s pretty clear by now who the embarrassing hockey team is in Alberta.

Scrivens is right. But before he starts talking about integrity and pride in the sweater they wear I would take a good look at the team’s performance over the last few years before trying to educate the fans on respecting the team’s logo. The fans have every right to be pissed.

16. Sim | March 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

So Ben, throwing the jersey is a disrespect to those who wore it before, like Gretz, Messier etc.
    I wonder if the entire team wearing it right now and playing the way they do isn’t direspectfull…. who on this team deserves the honor to wear the copper and blue. This team is going nowhere…again.

17. Dean R | March 24, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hey Lee Horsman, even if we Flames fans did only look at the TV when a goal was scored, we wouldn’t have been able to take our eyes off the screen on Saturday night. Must have sucked to see your team get lit up for eight goals as the whole country watched on HNIC.

As for the “one-cup wonders” remark. Professional sports are very much a “what have you done for me lately” business, and the last time your team won anything, Vanilla Ice was popular. ‘Nuff said. Oilers fans going on about their five Stanley Cups are almost as bad as Habs fans still bragging about Cups they won back in the 1930s. Ancient history either way.

Sad times in Oilerville these days, and I’m lovin’ every minute of it. I hope it continues for another 10 years.

18. mellie | March 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Everyone, especially the fans need a reality check. These guys make so much money compared to us “regular” folk for what they do, it just makes me sick. You the fans keep payin throught the nose for these clowns. I work hard everyday with “special skills” that took years of specialized training to help people get better with thier everyday lives. I do something noble for very little money. Do I make several million dollars a year. No! Does a hockey player make a lot of money to shoot a hockey puck, Yes!. WTF is up with that. Society in general has lost thier moral compass, where shooting and skating are more important than what really matters. You the Fans need to STOP buying merchandise/tickets etc. and treating these guys like they are Gods or even worse… calling them heros. Really. get a life, that’s all I can say.

19. George | March 24, 2014 at 5:49 pm

If the fans in Edmonton weren’t proud to have Scrivens on their team for his tending, they should be now for his passion and integrity. Nice job Ben, I like your toss and your thoughts. Hey, here in Toronto we know all about tough times..no cup and not much playoff action for decades – but never seen a Leaf jersey hit the ice. Support your team, that’s what fans do. Sure, let them know when you’re not pleased but do it as a fan.

20. alex | March 24, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I believe that the oilers are pulling the Quebec nordicks trick, finish last and stack your team. Only thing was Quebec folded, moved to Denver and won the cup two years later. That was a real kick in jewels to Quebec. Me being a habs fan of course.Bwaaaaaaaahaaaaaa.

21. Les | March 24, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I believe the reason for the jersey being thrown on the ice was so the players could use it to dry their tears. Right now including Eakins they are all big cry babies!