Tidbits on a no race weekend

- April 7th, 2012

Beatriz gets two-race deal with Andretti Autosport

Brazil’s Ana Beatriz has signed a two race deal with Andretti Autosport to compete in the street race at Sao Paulo later this month and next month at the Indianapolis 500.
Beatriz had her first full campaign in the IZOD IndyCar Series with Dreyer & Reinbold last season, finishing 21st in the standings with a best result of 11th in Toronto.
Michael Andretti said in a team release that Beatriz had caught his eye when winning races in Indy Lights. The 27-year-old finished third in the feeder championship in 2008.
“I’ve been watching Bia for a few years,” said Andretti. “She was very strong in Firestone Indy Lights, and I was impressed by the pace she showed there. This opportunity is a good fit for us as a team.”
Beatriz has already had a one-day test with Andretti Autosport during the winter.
“Driving for Andretti Autosport is the biggest opportunity I’ve had in IndyCar and my career,” she said. “I am very honoured to be part of Michael’s team for Brazil and the Indy 500.”
Andretti is running James Hinchcliffe, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti in full-time deals this year, and had already announced a fourth car for the Indy 500 for test driver Sebastian Saavedra.

Junior gets another car for his collection of mifits and mishaps

Last month Dale Earnhardt Jr. revealed that he has an extensive collection of wrecked NASCAR Sprint Cup cars on his property near his hometown of Kannapolis, N.C.
The No. 42 Chevrolet that Juan Pablo Montoya drive into the jet dryer at Daytona in February is among he most famous of bent metal that is scattered around his piece of land like an outdoor art gallery.
The latest edition to the about 50 cars is not so much a wreck as a misfit — the No. 48 Chevrolet of Jimmie Johnson that was ruled illegal also at Daytona this year.
Team owner Rick Hendrick admitted to ESPN that even though he won an appeal of NASCAR’s ruling that the car broke the rules with an illegal “C” post, he will retire it from further racing anyway.

Alesi now says he’ll attempt Indy 500 with Newman Haas

Jean Alesi has confirmed that his inaugural assault on the Indianapolis 500 will be run by legendary IndyCar team Newman/Haas Racing for the Month of May. The deal, first tipped yesterday by French magazine AUTOhebdo, was confirmed by Alesi himself on Thursday.
The 47-year-old ex-Formula 1 racer announced plans last September to contest the 500-mile open-wheel classic on May 27.
Alesi, who started 201 grand prix but has never raced on an oval, will drive a Lotus-powered Dallara DW12 for the Illinois-based team owned by Carl Haas.
Newman/Haas, which Haas founded along with the late Paul Newman, was also the team that brought F1’s Nigel Mansell to Indy in 1993, and has been a dominant force at Indy many times with the likes of Mario and Michael Andretti, although it has never won the 500.

Categories: Motorsports

Subscribe to the post

Leave a comment

 characters available