Not really a full blog post here, just a few random tidbits. It’s like my Twitter feed, except in this case instead of unfollowing, you just stop reading.
• The Manitoba Bisons hockey teams announced their annual recipients of the Mike Ridley Award. Fifteen members of the men’s team and four from the women’s team were given the financial reward — $750 for men, $650 for women — named after the former Bison-turned-NHLer.
From the men’s team: Luke Cain, Joe Caligiuri, Del Cowan, Dane Crowley, Jesse Deckert, Tyler Dittmer, Deven Dubyk, Ian Duval, James Henry, Brandon Lockerby, Matthew Lowry, Blair Macaulay, Brendan Rowinski, Jeremy Schappert, Craig Scott.
From the women’s team: Kristin Cockerill, Nellie Minshull, Maggie Litchfield-Medd, Kayleigh Wiens.
The awards go to athletes demonstrating superior athletic ability, good academic standing and a high level of leadership.
• The Bisons announced their track and field team captains for the upcoming season, naming Elliott Cooke, 22, Karen Ferris, 22, Leah Harpelle, 22, and Wilfred Samking, 20. The Bisons host the fourth annual Bison Classic meet at Max Bell Friday and Saturday.
• The Winnipeg Wesmen wrestling teams are in action on their home floor this weekend, hosting the second annual Wesmen Invitational on Saturday starting at 9 a.m. Alberta (No. 1 M/No. 1 W), Regina (NR M/No. 3 W), Calgary (No. 10 M/No. 5 W) and Saskatchewan (No. 9 M/No. 6 W) are the other teams in attendance.
• The Brandon Bobcats are offering rain-cheque night this Saturday for men’s and women’s volleyball matches.
• And, finally, here’s who is where this weekend in Canada West.
Men’s hockey: Manitoba vs UBC.
Women’s hockey: Manitoba at UBC
Men’s/Women’s basketball: Brandon at Lethbridge; Manitoba at Alberta; Winnipeg at Saskatchewan
Men’s/Women’s volleyball: Brandon vs UBC; Manitoba vs Alberta; Winnipeg vs UBC-O