As we head into summer’s last long weekend, many Canadians are planning to get away on one more road or beach trip before the leaves turn colour and school and work commitments overtake carefree summer evenings.
But what to do if you don’t have any more vacation time banked?
According to a new survey from Choice Hotels International, 11% of Americans said they would come up with any excuse to get extra time off work — even if they have to reach for a far-fetched lie to make it happen.
From a zombie ambush to a hair malfunction, respondents to the Choice Hotels survey fess up to using some pretty outrageous stories. No word on whether the majority of these actually worked. I mean, it’s hard to imagine any boss would believe a zombie apocalypse is imminent.
Find the 25 most creative get-out-of-work excuses respondents to the Choice Hotels survey have used below. What’s the most creative excuse you’ve ever used to get extra time off work? Scroll down and tell us in the comments section below.
- I had to stay home to prepare for the zombie apocalypse.
- Martians kidnapped my boyfriend and I must rescue him.
- I was ambushed by zombies.
- My aquarium busted and I must save my fish.
- A garbage truck is on fire at the end of my driveway.
- There’s a snake on my porch.
- I had to attend a pop-up wedding.
- My mother’s car broke down on a cross-country trip and I had to go and assist her.
- My child came home with a really contagious eye infection. I should stay away from the office until its safe.
- My husband will be out sick today, Friday and Monday.
- My sister got kidnapped and I must go find her.
- My wife got a terrible hair-coloring job and I must stay home to provide moral support.
- I’m having a hair malfunction.
- My hair dye turned out to be orange and I cannot be seen in public.
- I’m under the weather due to a sympathetic pregnancy.
- I got mercury poisoning from a busted thermometer.
- I had an out-of-town dental appointment.
- I gave up my seat on the plane to an elderly person and couldn’t get back for a few days.
- My dog did not wake me.
- My dog ate my shoes.
- My dog hid my car keys.
- My bird is sick.
- My grandmother died (twice in one year).
- I’m having trouble with my prostate (reported by a woman).
- I am meeting on a project with a co-worker (who was actually in a meeting at the time with the caller’s boss).